New or used for first trailer? What to look for, what to avoid? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New or used for first trailer? What to look for, what to avoid?

There are quite a few CRVs in service with 13' trailers. Yes, you will want to look for a fairly basic trailer, not heavily optioned. No, you won't be able to bring tons of gear. Yes, you will need a transmission cooler and electric trailer brakes. No, you can't pack the CR-V full of people and cargo. Yes, you will have to take it easy on mountain grades.

If that describes you, then a CRV with a simple 13' Scamp, Boler, Trillium or similar would make a decent starter set-up.

Buying used could make it a "free" trial, as Floyd says. In my mind the "sweet spot" is somewhere around 6-12 years old. Even a 20-30 year old vintage unit can be sound, but you have to be careful. You can order new cushion covers from Scamp, replace carpet, make new curtains, and steam clean the headliner to appease your wife.

I agree that getting some experience with a used trailer is a big help in knowing what you really need and want in a brand new trailer

Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
A 1400 lb trailer will exert the same force (inertia) on the hitch to trailer connection points in the horizontal direction irregardless of how much of that weight is on the tongue. Is that considered when tow limits are set? Beats me. How manufacturers arrive at their numbers is a mystery often debated here. I for one believe it involves lawyers with ouija boards, but that's just me. Tongue weight is include as cargo so I guess if that's counting it twice, so be it.

New or used- These trailers are in high demand. Older trailers are most likely in need of repair. This is often discovered after the sale. Buyers are so happy " they found one" they miss things. Do you want a project? Do you want to wait several seasons until the right one comes along? Newer used can be so loaded up with options (many you may not want) as to drive the price well above new. With new you get only what you want but there is a wait. Depreciation is only an issue if you plan to sell. In most cases that's because you didn't do your homework. Happy hunting, Raz

Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #17

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
We switched from tent camping to our little 13 foot Scamp a few years ago and have LOVED our little egg. It is a 1982, fairly well taken care of before we got it. We did some minor cosmetic things, like paint and new cushion covers from scamp. New decals, etc. Really no issues at all. However, in July we just ordered a brand new 16 foot Scamp, because we see ourselves using it indefinitely. By buying used and older, we were able to utilize it for three camping seasons and really get a chance to decide what we actually want and need, put those ideas into a new one and of course, the hope is to at least break even on the sale of our 13 footer once we decide to sell it (I'm having a hard time letting go )
Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #18

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Trying to decide
Idaho
How do I "LIKE" a response?

I am receiving so much useful information to my question(s) but do not know how to show I "like" the responses. I get it that this is not Facebook, but as a newbie to the forums, am I missing something that allows me to acknowledge your great answers without filling up your inboxes with replies?

and again.... thanks so much!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 AM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenjn View Post
Hi from Boise, ID! My name is Stephen and my wife and I are in our late 50's and are interested in getting our first ever camper. She is afraid of buying used, where I am not as leery. I saw some other threads where people are asking what is the first one they should buy, so I will read those for suggestions - but if there is ANY advise you can give me on what to look for, and probably more important, what to avoid, I would appreciate some input. Thanks for reading this! .... Oh, I should have mentioned we have a Honda Cr-V that has a tow rating of 1500 lbs. so lightweight is a must.
Stephen,

As noted by others, a 1,500 tow capacity is very limiting. As former tent campers, we started with a Passat wagon with the same tow rating as your CRV and bought a teardrop trailer. I initially did not want a refrigerator or plumbing.

Then we bought a 17' Casita and had to have it delivered until we could get a tow vehicle capable of pulling it. We managed to pass the teardrop along for a little bit more than we paid. The Passat was gratefully purchased by the kids and we bought a used Audi with 4,400/440 towing capacity.

Now, we have a 21' Escape on order for completion in December. Although the 21's "numbers" are within our current tow vehicle's ratings, I like to have some additional reserve capacity. So, I expect that we are going to get another, larger tow vehicle, though I will wait and evaluate how this combination may serve in the interim.

In summary, we've no regrets, it's all been part of our education. We think the 21 will be our "forever" trailer, but no one really knows what the future holds.

What works for one does not for another. Floyd and many, many others are happy and content with their 13-footers. We think the 21 will strike the right balance for a near-horizon retirement with extended trips.

I will say that I seem to be seeing very many 2015, 2016 and 2017 trailers for sale of late. It seems that many folks are deciding that their initial choices were too small. Meanwhile Norm and Ginny have many, many years of happy experience traveling 7 months a year in their 16-footer.

Many people join this forum having never even been inside a molded fiberglass travel trailer, yet wanting to buy their "forever" rig. I think that it's difficult to know what you will ultimately want without having experience. Ultimately, you'll just have to learn what you can and pick a place to get started.

As to used versus new, my primary advice is that your eyes and nose and poking around a bit to check the flooring for soft spots can quickly tell you what you need to know. However, you'll need to be confident that you can in fact evaluate the flooring for hidden soft spots. It's not unheard of for vinyl flooring to conceal wood that has passed into the realm of oatmeal, even in these molded fiberglass units.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 (on order) & 2017 Jeep GC 5.7 (Sold 2012 Casita FD 17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenjn View Post
I am receiving so much useful information to my question(s) but do not know how to show I "like" the responses. I get it that this is not Facebook, but as a newbie to the forums, am I missing something that allows me to acknowledge your great answers without filling up your inboxes with replies?

and again.... thanks so much!
Oh, we're all used to it here because we are all so darned "likeable".
Old 08-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #21

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You can order new cushion covers from Scamp, replace carpet, make new curtains, and steam clean the headliner to appease your wife.
Did you say "please" your wife Jon?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Did you say "please" your wife Jon?
It's complicated...
Old 08-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #23

Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
I suggest you seriously consider finding a somewhat local to you (300 mile radius) "Egg" trailer rally that has a "Trailer Trash Tour" where you can tour some of the participants trailers all in one spot and get a real look at many of the different "Egg" trailers, what people do to their trailers, see the different sizes/styles of trailers and most importantly TALK to the owners about their likes and dislikes about the trailer they currently own.

No Pressure, No Salesman and really good time spent learning about "Egg" trailers from your new friends!
Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #24

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Yes, even though we started RV camping in the mid 1980s, we decided to go small with a molded FG trailer two years ago.

We ended up going "too small" for us, so we are on our second molded trailer. I really wanted to see how it worked for us before dropping serious money into a trailer. I guess it worked good enough as we upgraded to a 19 foot Escape.

I think we will stick with this size for a while. Some of the things that led us to the 19 foot Escape is getting a big bed (queen size) and a big four person dinette separate from the bed. Sooner or later, the weather will be bad, so having room inside the trailer so you can just hang out for a while is ideal.

If you have never RV'd before, figuring out what works best for you can be challenging! Bed size is important, and most FG trailers have small beds. The old standard was 44 inches wide, thats barely over a twin bed size! The longer the trip, the more it matters. Our last trip was a month. Our next trip will be 3 to 4 weeks.

Pretty much all molded trailers are small, some are really small! Molded trailers tend to be narrower than stick built trailers, and shorter too! Its an acquired taste! Our earlier experience was with a medium sized fifth wheel. We ended up with a one ton dually to pull that trailer. We didn't want to go that crazy this time, that led us to molded trailers.

FWIW, our small molded trailer was a 17 foot Casita, which is not very small in the world of molded trailers, but too small for us.

BTW, our last trip we camped at this place in Idaho. City owned RV park, right on the Snake River, great location.

- Riverside RV Park - City of Heyburn *
Old 08-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Another way to try out trailers before purchasing is to "borrow" one for overnight. Perhaps you know someone with a trailer or you'll meet someone at a "trailer meet". If they trust you, you could borrow/rent their trailer and maybe even their tow vehicle too. At the least, you could ask for a "spin" around the campground with the owner so they could show you how to tow, park and set up. We have a couple places in California that rent out Scamps. There are some trailers, usually immobile, posted on vacation rental sites such as AirBNB. There are even RV sharing sites like AirBNB. Think creatively.

As for us, we are very glad to have purchased a 13' Scamp in 2011. While we were limited to this size because we have a Subaru Legacy sedan, we have been very happy with out trailer. Here we are, 6 years out, and only now do we experience minor maintenance issues. We will keep the trailer and upgrade our tow vehicle to a Subaru Crosstrek soon because it has higher clearance, can drive off-road and looks "cool".
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #26

Name: Frank
Trailer: none
Georgia
First trailer

Now there is a loaded question. Although I don't yet own a travel trailer, I have trailered for many years and tens of thousands of miles. What I've found and many folks don't think of is the shape of the trailer. I have towed many trailers in the 1200 to 1500 lb weight. Usually flat bed car trailers, boats or utility trailers. All with no problem behind my Toyota Matrix, also with a 1500 lb limit. Hook up and RV and it's a totally different story because the RV has the aerodynamics of a refrigerator with the door open. The width and height make a huge difference in the vehicle being able to tow the RV. Wind resistance is unbelievable!

If you can afford a new or nearly new RV, go for it. You can then enjoy traveling and camping and not fixing, repairing, and paying for repairs, especially if you are not mechanically inclined. Just my 2 cents. I'm with your wife!

Maybe I'm weird but if I purchased a used one, I'd then want to change out all the cushions and mattresses for new ones. Right away, a new chore and a big expense. Life is short and the last I heard, it's getting shorter all the time.

Frank
Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm the Outlier. We towed a Scamp 16 or equivalent for 7 years all over North America with our 2004, 4cylinder, manual transmission Honda CRV without a single issue. It proved a good tow vehicle and amazingly reliable. We traded it in with 250,000 miles and never a single driveline repair.

Really it was a great combo and got great mileage. It obviously was not a speed demon but easily kept up with traffic.

It should easily handle a Scamp 13.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #28

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Lots of good advice here and I will only add that if you decide to buy used, be skeptical of many sellers' claims as to the weight of their trailers. A lot of folks have never actually weighed them and are really just guessing or going by wildly optimistic manufacturers' specs (which are often for bare bones trailers with no "optional equipment" like a stove or fridge). Check out the "Trailer weights in the real world" thread to get a more accurate idea of what these little trailers weigh.