New or used for first trailer? What to look for, what to avoid? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #29

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
heck out YouTube for videos on What To Look For when Buying a USED RV. Absolutely scared me into only going for new. We bought our new to us tow vehicle several months after ordering the LilSnoozy. First MAJOR camping t rip was the month of June from S FL to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. 4 cats and DH in a 17 foot Snoozy!! Except for discovering the cats knew how to slide the plastic cover barring the inside of the trailer from the screen door handle, all was good. Of course, I enforce the 3-4 outfit and do laundry as needed rule.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #30

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Back in the day lots of folks towed pretty much anything with anything. I recall my parents towing a 60's Aristocrat with an old Plymouth. There is no way that combo was within the towing capacity limits, but they did it anyway.

Some still do. I've seen CRVs towing trailers as large as a 17 foot Casita. When you broach the subject, the response is usually along the lines that there hasn't been a problem.

I'm in the camp that believes it isn't about whether a specific person encountered a problem with a particular trailer and tow - it's about whether or not you are within the capacity limits established by the manufacturer.

There are a number of reasons why exceeding the limits is a bad idea, most of which have been debated ad nauseum here and on other forums. You decide whether the capacity limits are really limits or just suggestions.