New Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
New Owner

Hey all.
I just got a 1990 Scamp 16.
It's been gutted by the previous owner, down to the fiberglass, which will save me time/effort. Needs a new sub floor, but the steel frame is in decent shape.
It will have limited amenities, a queen bed, and a pair of small bunk beds, a fresh water system, and a propane stove. No toilet, 120v window unit, electric heater, details of the HVAC are still to be determined. Probably a 2 tone paint job, almond top, puke green bottom. New 5x4.5 axle with brakes.
I'm going to seperate the shell from the steel, hang the new axle, POR15 the steel, replace the 3/4" ply, then get it painted and get the windows back in.

_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There were some scamp cabinets and benches listed in the classified forum a week or two back. Even with a custom interior, having the molded parts saves a lot of time, space and $$$$.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hope he saved the windows for you - those can get more than a little pricey to replace.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Ben
The Scamp upper floor is made up of four sections. I would replace them one section at a time before removing the shell from the frame. I also just did a Scamp frame with POR-15 and replaced several axles this year. Send me a P.M. with your number if you want to talk. I get my axles and POR-15 out of PA.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Eddie
I'm not sure which I'll do yet, I'd like to get the rotten floor boards out of there and then determine the best course of action.
Welding on new leaf hangers might be easier with the frame out from under the shell, but again, we'll see.
What's your source for trailer axles if you don't mind my asking? I'd like to go 5x4.5 because I have a landscaping trailer and an open deck car trailer that are both that pattern. Not that those would ever get to wear the baby moons I'm eyeballing for the Scamp...

Carol,
Yes, all windows in tact, door is in good shape. Also got the cook top.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I get my Dexter axles from Redneck near Harrisburg. No freight if you pick them up there. I get my POR-15 from Eastman's, but they don't carry the high gloss POR-15 topcoat for the rear bumper and tongue. Next time I may try the Eastman's rust prevention system.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote