New Owner -- Help with Converter/Power - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-03-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Originally Posted by Anne in NW View Post

I'm new to owning a 80's 13' Casita Deluxe. This is the first RV I've ever owned. I love it so far and I'm just trying to learn all of it.

I'm trying to understand how my converter/power works. I thought if I plugged it into shore power my 110 outlets would work. However, they didn't work today when I did this, but the 9v lights were still working fine.

I'm guessing I need to flip the 30 on the converter. I didn't try it yet because I had to run, but I really want to know how all of the switches work. The previous owner sent it to me with the one middle switch on.

It's probably obvious, but I searched around and couldn't figure it. I'm probably being a knucklehead. Could someone explain how the switches and converter work with shore power and with battery power.

THanks so much!

...From your photo, this is my guess: Someone modified your trailer by install the extra adjustable circuit breakers on your converter's housing instead of putting a separate panel. All those cct breakers are for AC use. The main is 30A, other dual breaker(blue) is for external AC outlet or else(or for AC outlets which is closed to water, sink...) and other two(15A) are for branches of 120V lights, accessories. Your 12VDC circuiry is out of picture. To install a fuse for your battery, you should use 12v-DC fuse with high amperage. To determine the wire which charges your battery, you should look into inside or your converter housing, there is a schematic there, usually it has blue color. I could be wrong though...

Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
First, you don't have a 30v (volt) anything. That is a 120 volt, 30 amp breaker.
The one that made the water pump run was, in most cases, the 120 AC power to the ac to dc converter. It too should be charging the battery in most set-ups, but some do differ, esp after 30+ years of ageing and P.O. "improvements".

The 12 volt DC for things like lights, water pump etc shoul d have some small fuses somewhere. The switches should only control ac loads.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote