New Owner of 13' 1977 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

Name: Celeste
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
NY
New Owner of 13' 1977 Scamp

Hi,

I just got home a few days ago from northern Michigan, where I picked up my new 1977 Scamp that I bought on Ebay. I towed it home with my little Honda Civic SI, with no issues! I'm very excited to have it, but feeling a little daunted by the project in front of me. My Scamp is in general in good shape, with a solid floor and frame. The fiberglass is in good shape. But the interior is pretty nasty. I think I will have to remove all of the foam-backed vinyl that forms the interior walls, scrub down the inside of the fiberglass shell with a bleach solution, and then put up new foam-backed vinyl. The inside got wet at some point, and is very dirty from mold.

So, I'm excited to finally have a Scamp, but I've got a big project!

Celeste
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Celeste, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you found us. The biggest problem you're going to run into, is there is no direct replacement for the ensolite. Those that have done as you expect may jump in with suggestions.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #3

NY
Thanks, Donna. I just posted on a thread in another forum on this subject, so hopefully I'll learn a lot there.

What about foam backed vinyl? I found plenty of that online, at 54" wide and sold by the yard. It is a material people use a lot in boats, apparently. Here is a link: All Vinyl Fabrics - Marine Vinyl
Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Celeste, what you absolutely want to make certain of is that the foam is closed-cell. NOT open-cell... that's a sponge and any moisture inside the trailer will be captured in the walls and you'll have a mold problem all over again. If you buy, do not assume... double-check.

Good luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #5

NY
Thanks, Donna. After studying a thread on a similar topic last night, I figured out that that is what is special about Ensolite - the closed cell foam. So, I guess I'll have to keep looking.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #6

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Would love to see some pictures of the inside of your new Scamp before you start working on it and then again after it is done. I had bad mold issues in my camper when I first picked it up (it sat in a farm field for many years with an open door) and I didn't think I would ever get it clean. I bought several products but one that worked really well was Tilex mold and mildew remover and also just plain old bleach and water. It took me a good solid week of cleaning but it did come clean and there is no mold smell at all anymore.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp