New owner of an (old!) Fiberstream!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh gailanne, I didn't mean to worry you, truly! It's just something that should be check ON ANY BRAND of trailer. I just remember Frederick talking about it being a weak link particularly in the Fiberstreams. Just like the A frame portion is a weak link in the older Trilliums.

I'm a single female, and can be said... in my Golden Years. I'm betting you'll be like me and won't let fear stop you from going... and enjoying... and making a ton of memories along the way.

You CAN do this....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #22

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Gailanne,

I'm with Donna....You CAN do this!

I too had remorse, when I was in the midst of making the purchase. I drove 5 hours one way to my Seller. After realizing that the trailer was in need of work, more than I was really ready for after being tired and hungry...I decided to take a deep breath and ask myself what did I really want?

I've been looking for a Burro since 2007, seriously! After finding this site from a friend and pouring through the threads, I found out about the uHaul. Within a week, I found my trailer. While I was looking at the trailer, I felt that maybe the asking price was just too high. We negotiated on a fair price and with the PO really making the case and not in a pushy way, I collected my thoughts and made the decision to continue with the sale.

I've gone on three trips since my purchase just a month ago! Last night it was so hot here, in the high 80's I went into the trailer, turned on the AC and kicked back in there with my dog and cat.

I've met so many folks who want a tour or to buy it. It's been fun!

Think of it as another living space you'll be redoing....only this one shows you familiar places you've never seen like this before!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #23

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Been there done that. It's always a good idea to get someone that's more experienced check things out. So, I would contact a local dealership or someone thats knows what to check for thats a mechanic or knows about rvs. You'll be fine. Calm down and breath....... If it wasn't road worthy he wouldn't want to tow it to you. He would want you to pick it up. Still tires, bearings, frame, ect. needs to be checked. I'm sure if you check around you can find someone that will be happy to check it out before you buy. It's a neat looking trailer and I bet all will be fine. Congrats! Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I answered your Private Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailanneM View Post
The "check the frame" comment is really worrying me.....
:{
I had misused my Fiber Stream by not appreciating the engineering that went into it. The brochures touted how light it was for its size. Well that lightness comes from using very light materials, especially in the frame. Where most trailer manufacturers use 2" x 4" "C" channel to build the frame, Fiber Stream used 1" x 2" box channel. This under-sizing probably cut the weight of the steel used in half.

The 1st thing I did wrong was use my stabilizing Jacks to level the trailer. I didn't know better at the time, and the folks here put me straight on the concept, but my damage had already been done. I tweaked the frame and it developed over time a downward curve in the rear.

Another thing I question myself about is the use of a Weight Distributing Hitch. One came installed on the Fiber Stream when I bought it and the brand new Honda Odyssey I bought in 2003 (and still drive today) owner's manual required using a WDH for trailers that weigh as much as my Fiber Stream does.

I think now if I had leveled the trailer properly from the beginning and towed with a substantial enough tow vehicle to not use WDH, my frame might not have become bent requiring reinforcement with a 2nd channel sistered to the 1st doubling up the frame. Another factor may have been towing it at 75 miles per hour over the very pot-holed I-44 in Missouri...
Attached Thumbnails
100_0313.jpg   100_0316.jpg  

Old 04-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #25

Name: gailanneM
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' and previously, 17' Burro
Washington
okay,...
I am feeling better & taking deep breaths-- I've regained my enthusiasm & excitement to get this baby home & start working on it....
AFTER I take it straight to my RV guy & have him go thru everything!

The seller really does seem like a straight up fellow & he seems very honest about what is less than perfect about the trailer. It IS a 1978, after all, & it's older than he is! (sadly, it is NOT older than I am!)
I have sent him another list of questions & he sent me more photos.

It does need a new battery: any suggestions for the best one/ place to get it? I do a lot of "dry" camping at dog trials; ie. no hookups, just whatever water & so forth that I bring with me.

I will definitely have the frame checked out -- I am totally impressed by the photos & descriptions of some folks' welding & rebuilding & attaching new steel stuff to their trailers!! Wish I could do all that...!! Afraid my talents lie more with curtains & cushions & decor. :/

Still very happy to have found this community of warm FGRV people with so much collective wisdom! Many thanks to all of you!
I am thrilled to continue to receive any and all advice & comments.)
gailanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Buyers Remorse???

Gotta tell you Gailanne,
IF you have to pay to have the work done it's a lot cheaper to buy a trailer in good condition than to buy one that needs almost any repairs . Many "fixers" are labor intensive and RV shops are used to fixing RV's that cost upwards of $100k and don't mind charging $75-125 an hour for labor.

Some examples: Parts and Labor
Remove and reseal 1 window $125 (Ya don't just pile more silicone onto it)
Remove, repair and replace furnace: $300 +
Replace refrigerator (very few are repairable) $1200+
Locate and repair leak in water system: $250+
New water heater: $550
and the list goes on and on.

Be careful.........

Quote:
Oops, cut me off !!

Referrals for redding,ca or Ashland, or to have those aforementioned items checked. Especially the frame -- that worries me!!

I arranged to have the seller tow it to redding, ca from Ashland, OR to pick it up & make the transaction. Put a contingency on it: if I didn't like it or whatever after seeing it, I could pay him $100 for his gas & time.

Now I am experiencing buyers remorse & wondering why I thought I could do this all alone with no mechanical ability....
I asked lots of good questions & as far as I can tell, everything works, but I am probably too trusting. (

Anyone near there that could look at it & give me their take on it?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #27

Washington
At this point, it is still all systems go -- I am heading to redding on the 30th to get the "vintage" trailer & begin my FGRV adventure.

From what I understand, registering a trailer from OR to CA is quite a complicated process involving lots of paperwork; anybody care to shed some light on that & suggest ways to streamline it?

Still just hoping I am not getting in way over my head on this one....
Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #28

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
It's all do-able just depends on how much you want to put into it

Hi Gailanne, we drove from Portland to Redding to buy/check out our trailer about a month ago. Your trip in reverse! I can identify with your trepidation. I was worried even though this is our 2nd trailer refurb and I have a mechanically minded husband. But this is all do-able, it just depends on how much time, energy and money you want to put into it.

I think if the trailer goes over the hills that is a pretty good shake down test. Do look at the tires- if you see lots of cracks think about a stop at Les Schwab for new ones, feel the hubs, if HOT, go back to Les Schwab or another tire place, repack the bearings. Look at the tongue check that is it crack free and fastens securely over your hitch ball. Make sure your safety tow chains are in good shape and hooked to your tow vehicle. Oh ya, don't forget trailer mirrors on your tow vehicle, makes changing lanes much less scary. And make sure your trailer lights work right, we were 3 hours down the road before someone told me mine were reversed.Then get in your vehicle and try it out on a non-highway road for 10-15 minutes, make sure you breathe. Then head for home, breathing and easing your death grip on the steering wheel. Try to time your trip so you are not driving in rush hour traffic or at dusk as both add more stress to this first time drive. Keep breathing and drive 55. Let all the speedy non-towing vehicles to pass you. If you stop on the way home look for easy parking, pull throughs etc, you don't need the added pressure of backing right now. Remember this is not rocket science, if you are careful and pay attention it's not likely to be life and death. It is going to be fun and exciting.

So if you are interested here is more about our buying trip and the road home. If not best of luck to you with your new rolling home away from home.

Since it was a 7-8 hour drive for us we made reservations to spend the at an RV Park in Redding. We brought a tent in case we didn't buy the trailer, sleeping bags, the dog, DH's tools and our cash.

We met the seller, and looked over the trailer. It's level of disrepair was what we expected so we gave her the money, hooked up and drove off. I was hyperventilating most of the way to the RV park. When I drove down, I was on pins and needles she was still waiting for the title in the mail. We totally lucked out as it arrived that day and she signed it over to us.

By the way if you need a place to stay in Redding the RV park was lovely, Premier RV. Premier RV Resorts

We looked for a spare tire of the trailer before we bedded down for the night but couldn't find one. I didn't sleep much in our new little nest, I was worried about driving the Siskiyous the next day. My whole reason for buying the trailer was to be able to haul it up hills with my Subaru Forrester. I was going to find out and soon.

Took off fairly early as we didn't have much to pack up. Hit Starbucks then hit the freeway and the first mountain. It towed like a dream, smooth as buddar. It took me about 2 hours to relax behind the wheel. The drive home was un-eventful (YAY).

Since then we have been remodeling, and have found more things that need fixing but were not apparent when we bought it. Even a small crack in the frame that will eventually need repair. Finding more stuff wrong is typical of any used thing I have ever bought, and at 40 years old it's allowed to have some issues. We are heading out this weekend to camp in it.

Again wishing you the best on the adventure. Remember we are doing this for fun!
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
okay,...
It does need a new battery: any suggestions for the best one/ place to get it? I do a lot of "dry" camping at dog trials; ie. no hookups, just whatever water & so forth that I bring with me.
Until recently, I would have told you to go to Costco. Their batteries are reasonably priced, and good quality. I bought my group 24, (kinda small) 95 Ahr, (Amps for so many hours) battery for ~$80.

Recently I have found a source for gel cells, which are the preferred battery for solar applications. They are however very expensive. I got a price of $250 for a 75 Ahr battery. Not even worth considering in my opinion. But I now have a source for free used ones:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ies-57818.html

So if you know someone in the electric wheel chair, or telecommunications industry, you may be able to get free gel cells.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would suggest you go to auto club if you dont have it and sign up for road assistance and get the extended service coverage for RV's this will cover your new trailer for road assistance. This may ease your mind that there is help available while your on the road for the first time. You dont have to get their insurance to get road assist.

Have fun with your new trailer. I know what its like as last November I bought my 78 scamp and had all the scarry thoughts in my head too. Dont worry they all go away once that trailer plops down in your driveway for the first time.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I would suggest you go to auto club if you dont have it and sign up for road assistance and get the extended service coverage for RV's this will cover your new trailer for road assistance.......
Great idea. I have the AAA RV coverage and it is nice to know you aren't totally stuck if the trailer can't be towed.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #32

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Gail, Tom is right. You can absolutely do this. It will be a great adventrue for you and confidence builder. And if you need help, there are lots of people here that can provide all of the information and resources for you to enjoy your wonderful trailer in the great outdoors. The only showstopper though is money and your tow vehicle. If it needs some major repairs such as axle, rusted frame, etc, you'll want to have the money to get that done. Secondly, I don't see anywhere where you state the tow vehicle. What will you be towing with? Be sure it capable of towing a trailer this size and weight. Lots of info on this forum that addresses that.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
At this point, it is still all systems go -- I am heading to redding on the 30th to get the "vintage" trailer & begin my FGRV adventure.

From what I understand, registering a trailer from OR to CA is quite a complicated process involving lots of paperwork; anybody care to shed some light on that & suggest ways to streamline it?

Still just hoping I am not getting in way over my head on this one....
It was not a problem for us. We stopped at a small DMV on the way home and took care of the paperwork. I looked all the offices up online and picked the one in the smallest town, don't remember where. The VIN had to be verified so you need to know where it is on the trailer.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #34

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
If the seller tows it over the mountains from Ashland,OR to redding, CA do you think it's somewhat safe to assume it's roadworthy? I will then be towing it straight to my rv guy in Sacramento area for a thorough check- up...!
If that trailer makes the trip on the tires pictured in the ad, have the seller meet you at the first Les Schwab Tire Center he comes to in Redding. Finalize the deal there, and let's hope he makes allowances for the money you're going to have to lay out for rubber fit to drive to Sacramento on.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Good point Francesca, those look really tired!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #36

Washington
The seller emailed me to say he is taking the trailer in to have the bearings repacked & all the systems checked. My understanding is that the tires are different than the ones in the photos & that they are good with legal & reasonable tread & so is the spare.
We are arranging to meet at my girlfriend's house in redding. She has a motor home & is pretty savvy.
I certainly appreciate the comments & concern folks have expressed! What a wonderful group to extend such care to a newbie like me! Thanks!

I will continue to post updates.....
Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 PM   #37

Washington
Oh,
I should address the tow vehicle question:

(It's just that I sometimes feel silly..)
Since I do dog agility, I choose vehicles based on their ability to hold two dog crates side by side.
I am NOT wealthy or even close & I thot I was looking at a line of Toyota sequoia's at the used car dealership while my old 4runner was being serviced....anyway....

I drive a V-8 SUV.

It's a Lexus GX w a tow rating of 6200lbs.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #38

Registry
You should be more than fine with the tug, Gailanne, but I'm still worried about the trailer tires.

In this price range I'd be surprised if the P.O. spent the $500.00 it would take to put four new ST's on the trailer. If they've been changed from those in the pics, they may be used, could be "P" rated, and who knows how old. If more than five years they should be replaced, regardless of how the tread looks. Trailer tires are replaced by a different set of parameters than tread depth alone.

Here quoting from Trailer Tire Facts and Safety

Quote:
Trailer Tire Life Span & Replacement
3 to 5 years of service is the average life expectancy of a Trailer Tire. After three years of use you should consider replacing your trailer tires with new, even if the tires have adequate tread depth left. After five years of service, trailer tires are considered worn out and should be replaced.

When replacing trailer tires, it's a good idea to replace all of your trailer tires at once to ensure your trailer tows properly, but if you're not buying a complete set, make sure you purchase individual tires that match the others on your trailer.Also make sure your trailer tires are "ST" specially designed for trailers. ST or Special Trailer service tires are stiffer than the radial tires found on most cars and trucks. This stiffness helps to protect against trailer sway and these types of tires can easily be provided to you through Cedar Rapids Tire.
Do you know how to determine the age of a tire? There's a code on the sidewall- here's an image explaining how to read it.

By the way:
If the last number group denoting age is only three digits, the tire was made before the turn of the century.

Good luck to you!

Francesca
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #39

Washington
Priced new tires (all 4) today at Costco and Les Schwab; $475
Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #40

Registry
I buy all my tires from Les Schwab- competitive prices, good quality/guarantee, and free air checks/flat repair in any one of their hundreds of stores! Seems like even the smallest of towns in their territory has a Les Schwab...

And since I travel almost exclusively within that territory, I make use of these amenities very extensively.

Francesca