Old 04-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailanneM View Post
okay,...
It does need a new battery: any suggestions for the best one/ place to get it? I do a lot of "dry" camping at dog trials; ie. no hookups, just whatever water & so forth that I bring with me.
Until recently, I would have told you to go to Costco. Their batteries are reasonably priced, and good quality. I bought my group 24, (kinda small) 95 Ahr, (Amps for so many hours) battery for ~$80.

Recently I have found a source for gel cells, which are the preferred battery for solar applications. They are however very expensive. I got a price of $250 for a 75 Ahr battery. Not even worth considering in my opinion. But I now have a source for free used ones:
Gell Batteries

So if you know someone in the electric wheel chair, or telecommunications industry, you may be able to get free gel cells.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would suggest you go to auto club if you dont have it and sign up for road assistance and get the extended service coverage for RV's this will cover your new trailer for road assistance. This may ease your mind that there is help available while your on the road for the first time. You dont have to get their insurance to get road assist.

Have fun with your new trailer. I know what its like as last November I bought my 78 scamp and had all the scarry thoughts in my head too. Dont worry they all go away once that trailer plops down in your driveway for the first time.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #31

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I would suggest you go to auto club if you dont have it and sign up for road assistance and get the extended service coverage for RV's this will cover your new trailer for road assistance.......
Great idea. I have the AAA RV coverage and it is nice to know you aren't totally stuck if the trailer can't be towed.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #32

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Gail, Tom is right. You can absolutely do this. It will be a great adventrue for you and confidence builder. And if you need help, there are lots of people here that can provide all of the information and resources for you to enjoy your wonderful trailer in the great outdoors. The only showstopper though is money and your tow vehicle. If it needs some major repairs such as axle, rusted frame, etc, you'll want to have the money to get that done. Secondly, I don't see anywhere where you state the tow vehicle. What will you be towing with? Be sure it capable of towing a trailer this size and weight. Lots of info on this forum that addresses that.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #33

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
At this point, it is still all systems go -- I am heading to redding on the 30th to get the "vintage" trailer & begin my FGRV adventure.

From what I understand, registering a trailer from OR to CA is quite a complicated process involving lots of paperwork; anybody care to shed some light on that & suggest ways to streamline it?

Still just hoping I am not getting in way over my head on this one....
It was not a problem for us. We stopped at a small DMV on the way home and took care of the paperwork. I looked all the offices up online and picked the one in the smallest town, don't remember where. The VIN had to be verified so you need to know where it is on the trailer.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #34

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
If the seller tows it over the mountains from Ashland,OR to redding, CA do you think it's somewhat safe to assume it's roadworthy? I will then be towing it straight to my rv guy in Sacramento area for a thorough check- up...!
If that trailer makes the trip on the tires pictured in the ad, have the seller meet you at the first Les Schwab Tire Center he comes to in Redding. Finalize the deal there, and let's hope he makes allowances for the money you're going to have to lay out for rubber fit to drive to Sacramento on.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #35

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Good point Francesca, those look really tired!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #36

Name: gailanneM
Trailer: Bigfoot 25' and previously, 17' Burro
Washington
The seller emailed me to say he is taking the trailer in to have the bearings repacked & all the systems checked. My understanding is that the tires are different than the ones in the photos & that they are good with legal & reasonable tread & so is the spare.
We are arranging to meet at my girlfriend's house in redding. She has a motor home & is pretty savvy.
I certainly appreciate the comments & concern folks have expressed! What a wonderful group to extend such care to a newbie like me! Thanks!

I will continue to post updates.....
Old 04-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #37

Washington
Oh,
I should address the tow vehicle question:

(It's just that I sometimes feel silly..)
Since I do dog agility, I choose vehicles based on their ability to hold two dog crates side by side.
I am NOT wealthy or even close & I thot I was looking at a line of Toyota sequoia's at the used car dealership while my old 4runner was being serviced....anyway....

I drive a V-8 SUV.

It's a Lexus GX w a tow rating of 6200lbs.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #38

Registry
You should be more than fine with the tug, Gailanne, but I'm still worried about the trailer tires.

In this price range I'd be surprised if the P.O. spent the $500.00 it would take to put four new ST's on the trailer. If they've been changed from those in the pics, they may be used, could be "P" rated, and who knows how old. If more than five years they should be replaced, regardless of how the tread looks. Trailer tires are replaced by a different set of parameters than tread depth alone.

Here quoting from Trailer Tire Facts and Safety

Quote:
Trailer Tire Life Span & Replacement
3 to 5 years of service is the average life expectancy of a Trailer Tire. After three years of use you should consider replacing your trailer tires with new, even if the tires have adequate tread depth left. After five years of service, trailer tires are considered worn out and should be replaced.

When replacing trailer tires, it's a good idea to replace all of your trailer tires at once to ensure your trailer tows properly, but if you're not buying a complete set, make sure you purchase individual tires that match the others on your trailer.Also make sure your trailer tires are "ST" specially designed for trailers. ST or Special Trailer service tires are stiffer than the radial tires found on most cars and trucks. This stiffness helps to protect against trailer sway and these types of tires can easily be provided to you through Cedar Rapids Tire.
Do you know how to determine the age of a tire? There's a code on the sidewall- here's an image explaining how to read it.

By the way:
If the last number group denoting age is only three digits, the tire was made before the turn of the century.

Good luck to you!

Francesca
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #39

Washington
Priced new tires (all 4) today at Costco and Les Schwab; $475
Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #40

Registry
I buy all my tires from Les Schwab- competitive prices, good quality/guarantee, and free air checks/flat repair in any one of their hundreds of stores! Seems like even the smallest of towns in their territory has a Les Schwab...

And since I travel almost exclusively within that territory, I make use of these amenities very extensively.

Francesca
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #41

Washington
Just had hitch installed: $450
will attempt posting a photo....
Attached Thumbnails
image-3286443638.jpg   image-2609216165.jpg  

Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #42

Washington
Good to know about Les Schwab:

I am trying to decide between the two.....