New owner of an Oliver Sport - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Sport 17
TN
New owner of an Oliver Sport

I stopped at the Oliver Factory last week to take a look at the 2009 Oliver Sport 17 they had for sale. I fell in love with it and really didn't need to think about it, called my wife and told her we have a new trailer. We left it in their good hands while it has some upgrades done, but we're looking forward to getting it on the road. Everyone at Oliver has been awesome to deal with.

Once we decided to buy a trailer, we researched Airstreams and then R-pods, but once we discovered fiberglass trailers there was no going back. After lots more research we discovered Oliver and loved their design philosophy, but they are so hard to find on the used market. We were really fortunate that they still had the Sport 17, and since they are only 90 minutes from us everything seems to have lined up in just the right way.
Riverbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Congratulations! I saw it a couple of weeks ago. You're so lucky, and I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Ohio
New Oliver

Scott, Great, I heard from Robert that you got a great deal. We just left the factory and put a deposit down on a new unit. Enjoy your Oliver!!! Jerry
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Congrats to both of you, Scott! And, happy camping.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I love the look of Oliver's, congratulations!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Scott.
And congratulations on your new Oliver.
You will find you did not go wrong on your decision.
You will have many many good memories in the making.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congrats and welcome.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #8

TN
Can't wait to pick up the trailer and hit the road. We didn't plan on getting anything until the fall, but now that we found it we are anxious to hook up and head out to nowhere in particular. In the meantime we are putting a brake controller on the van, gathering up supplies, and getting ready for our new addition to the family.

We started out tent camping, struggled putting up a tent and in the next site saw someone pull up in a Westy, pop the top and settle in. Shortly after that, we were the proud owners of an '83 Vanagon Westfalia. We had her for about ten years, it had its share of problems but always got us home.

After we sold the Westy, I wound up with a 1 ton diesel pickup and a 28 foot 5th wheel. We had no where to put it, so we had to rent space in a storage lot. We hated everything about it, worse purchase we ever made. After we unloaded that, we really went in the other direction and bought a Land Cruiser, which we used to explore Texas, Utah, Colorado, and the Southwest.

That was sold when we found a sweet deal on a Class B Sprinter.

We put almost 50K miles in three years travelling all over from a trip from Texas up to the Grand Canyon and then down through Arizona and New Mexico, and then all over the East Coast and Southeast. We realized we loved the Sprinter but we didn't like lugging all the RV stuff around all the time as we used it for a second car. So we sold that, and bought a cargo Sprinter which we built up into a car camper. I installed a bed, Engel refrigerator, and a 12v house electrical system with a converter and outlets. Everything is removable so we can reconfigure it as our needs change.

We generally go point to point, driving through the day and stopping at places along the way and finding somewhere to stay for the night, so the new van was perfect for that.

A funny thing happened on our west coast trip this spring. We wound up in Napa valley and decided to stay in one place for a week. We found out that we really liked having a base to explore from, a place to go back to at the end of the day, or just a place to relax if you don't feel like doing anything. With two of us and two dogs the van wasn't really equipped for that, so we started researching trailers and wound up with the Oliver. We'll tow it with the Sprinter, it really is a pleasure to drive and the dogs love it.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
That will make a nice combo.

Thanks for the vehicle adventure.........
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Scott,

It was great meeting and talking to you both as our paths crossed briefly at the Ollie factory last week. Congratulations on your ownership of the "one of a kind" Oliver Sport! Welcome to the Ollie clan, a subset of the Fiberglass RV tribe. The Sprinter-Sport combo going down the road will be a real head turner. Have fun in your wanderings. Hope our paths cross again.

Pete & Oscar the Smiley Dog
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
OMG, you are so LUCKY. You have the perfect combo for you and will make great memories every single time you head out. How many other people can say that because they're towing something that isn't perfect for THEM?

Pictures, post LOTS of pictures
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Scott,

It was great meeting and talking to you both as our paths crossed briefly at the Ollie factory last week. Congratulations on your ownership of the "one of a kind" Oliver Sport! Welcome to the Ollie clan, a subset of the Fiberglass RV tribe. The Sprinter-Sport combo going down the road will be a real head turner. Have fun in your wanderings. Hope our paths cross again.

Pete & Oscar the Smiley Dog
Thanks Pete, we were very fortunate to be there at the same time, you really gave us some invaluable first hand information.

This really has been such a positive experience, at the end of the tour we finally saw our little Oliver sitting off to the side of the assembly line waiting for the a/c installation. Jim noticed that the interior lights were still the old incandescent type and the next thing we know one of the staff is replacing them all with LEDs. Pete mentioned that one nice thing to have is an interior grab handle near the door, and my wife talked to Robert and that's now being added.

Everyone at Oliver has been such a pleasure to work with, they asked us as customers what we want to see in future designs and it's nice to see a company take a proactive interest.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #13

TN
Things have been crazy for my wife at work so we didn't have many free weekends this summer. We took a short shakedown trip to Fall Creek Falls for the Egg Rally.

With lessons learned, we started getting ready for a 10 day fall trip. The Oliver Sport was a concept developed by Oliver to offer a stripped down version that still had the quality of all their trailers but came in at a more affordable price point. As such, it did't have an entertainment system, so I installed a DVD player and flat screen TV. The double hull design made it easy to run wires between the hulls from the terminal block under the rear dinette seat to the upper cabinets where the DVD player and the TV would be mounted. There was also a reinforcing plate for the TV swivel mount in the right rear corner, and the external antenna was also pre-wired to an outlet plate on the bottom of the rear upper cabinet.

We also wanted to brighten up the interior a little, the Oliver came with dark brown fabric on the cushions so we had them recovered in something a little more colorful. I used Sunbrella for the fabric. You can also see the DVD/Radio player mounted above in this picture.

When we picked up our Oliver, the aluminum double step was still in the design stage. Our two dogs aren't the most coordinated creatures on earth, and we worried that they wouldn't be able to handle the single step, so I went ahead and bought a regular stamped steel double step. My wife is also on the short side and likes it much better.

We also bought several suction cup hooks, and a small microwave. For our clothing, we picked up two Rolo Traveling Bags, which allowed us to hang all of our clothes in the forward closet.

After that, it was simply a matter of loading up and heading out.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Love the fabric you and your wife chose. Love the double step, too. Hope you have a lot of fun in your Oliver.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
That sprinter would be great for my travels! That would be all I would really need. add a fiberglass camper for more than a one night stay and all set. I loved your story of your tent to Oliver upgrades.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
I know this is an old thread, but darn that is one nice looking trailer. I wish Oliver offered a 16’ camper. It’s almost impossible to find a small, quality built trailer these days. It seems all of the manufacturers think bigger is better.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #17

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
I know this is an old thread, but darn that is one nice looking trailer. I wish Oliver offered a 16’ camper. It’s almost impossible to find a small, quality built trailer these days. It seems all of the manufacturers think bigger is better.
Back in the day we called this trailer a 17 footer. Due to the newer frame design it is now labeled as an 18.5 footer but the body is EXACTLY the same size as that trailer and Oliver is still building it. Would 12 inches be a deal breaker for you?
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
Back in the day we called this trailer a 17 footer. Due to the newer frame design it is now labeled as an 18.5 footer but the body is EXACTLY the same size as that trailer and Oliver is still building it. Would 12 inches be a deal breaker for you?
Steve:

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the Oliver Sport was a 16’ model. I learned something new today.

Yeah.... storage space on the property is limited and the extra length does pose a problem.

Thanks again.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
It seems all of the manufacturers think bigger is better.

I suspect it is actually their customers that think bigger is better.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I suspect it is actually their customers that think bigger is better.
Exactly.

Except Scamp. Their customers apparently think smaller is better: the 13' is still their best-selling model.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver