New, pondering options for road trip - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #61

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Completely forgot about one option... Did you decide to go with the standard carpet or upgrade to vinyl floors? You'll likely encounter wet weather and mud, so that might be one option that would pay off in terms of resale.

Either way, we have found a large area rug covering most of the center floor and a mat by the door makes clean-up easier- just shake them outside. If you decide on vinyl, they will also make the floor warmer and quieter. I bought an inexpensive, rubber-backed 3x5 at Walmart and cut it down to 3x3, which fits the center floor perfectly.

I'm not personally sold on the receiver. Instead of a bumper box, a plastic tote right inside the door- last in, first out- does just fine for us. It stores under the trailer when we're parked. (I can understand those who travel many months at a time, year after year, appreciating an outside storage box, though.) If you do decide to keep the trailer after you get back and want a receiver, there is a company that makes a bolt-on that's simple to add.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #62

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I ordered the rear hitch receiver. After reading a number of posts by people who experienced sway after putting bikes or boxes on the back, I have concluded that I will not even try it. YYWV (Your Mileage WILL vary) but the odds of it working well are slim I think.

(I kept the hitch receiver to mount a mast on while parked)

2ed on the vinyl.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 AM   #63

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I think that you will find that buying new, using for 2 months, and then reselling will result in selling at a big loss. Seems that you could get a nice used one, and pay for storage until you camp and then still be ahead of the game when you sell in the fall. But my thought is, why sell at all? If you have a blast on this first cross country trip, then why limit yourself to one trip and toss away the camper? Find a way to keep it and continue to make memories with your kids.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #64

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll second that, Pam! There are tons of other family adventures much closer at hand for shorter trips.

I believe Carrie is still looking for a used one. New is the back-up plan.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #65

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Congratulations on your life upgrade and purchase! We have never needed an outside outlet. Most campground power hook ups have 110 outlets with them so just use extension cords. I installed an porch light on my Scamp, many times I forget that I have it (I should use that light!) I did consider adding a brake light bar, statistics show that rear end collisions do happen more than we would like. Maybe finish that next year.
I always like bigger batteries.
John
crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #66

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We too asked about brake/signal lights above the belly band. They told us that they could do it on Scamp 16 but not on Scamp13s. 😕

When I asked if the back of post-2006 Scamp13s wasn't the same as Scamp13s (since the 2006 fire and subsequent new Scamp13 mold), I was told that they didn't think so.

When I asked about the same strip LED lighting that they install by the tailgates of pickup trucks, they just told me that they couldn't/wouldn't put above belly band lights on a Scamp13. 😐

Most of the time, there are 15/20 amp recepticles on power pedestals.
However, we have sometimes found the 15/20 amp breaker inop. Sometimes we are put in a site with only 30 amp (or only 50 amp] breakers and have needed adapters to get to a standard 15/20 amp plug size.

Just so you know ...... 😉

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #67

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Yes, our first choice is to find a used one, but we don't feel qualified to do a lot of work on one, so hope to find one in very good shape. I'll take any leads!

We will absolutely have many more camping adventures in the years to come- I'm hoping as my kids get older that they will be more in the backcountry than in a trailer, but we'll see- maybe I'll end up loving it!

I did get the vinyl floor on the one we ordered.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #68

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Carrie,

I don't remember if the used FGRV search sites have been mentioned.

Along with the fiberglass RVs for sale on this site (www.fiberglassrv.com), you might
check out the following websites:

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com

http://www.searchtempest.com

The searchtempest.com site will search all Craigslist and eBay listings within a specified radius of a location. In addition to used FGRVs, it could also possibly be useful in searching for other stuff on Craigslist and/or eBay.

Good luck! 😀

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote