New Scamp 19 Owner in New Hampshire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
New Scamp 19 Owner in New Hampshire

My wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2005 scamp 19. We are downsizing from a 37 foot diesel pusher to a scamp and my Ranger pick up. Bought it at a local charity auction for a great price but of course would've loved it to be less. Scamps are pretty hard to find in the Northeast especially a 19 this is the first 19 I've ever seen in person. It's been parked since about 2009. The interior is pretty perfect and the exterior we hope will clean up great. We were going to start the cleanup process today but will turn out to be 15 to 16 inches of snow in Manchester New Hampshire threw us off a bit.

Planned Mods This Spring Thanks to SOI & Fiberglass RV while lurking

1 Add 24 gallon fresh tank under floor from popup salavage remove tank interior tank (purchased)

2 Add electric motor to legs (purchased)

3 Upgrade charger/converter to an intelligent 55 amp (purchased)

4 Upgrade door latch

5 upgrade to 15 inch tires (already had them)

6 Add a double entrance folding stair

7 Upgrade all lights to LED (purchased)

8 Upgrade to 2 golf cart batteries

9 Add bumper hitch rack and Stowaway2 box (purchased)

10 upgrade electrical to marine type plug (purchased)

11 Add exterior hatches to under-seat comparments

Future Mods

1 Remove bunk bed area & change bed layout and and add closet and bureau and other storage

ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Hey Arthur, all work and no play....you know how it goes.
Congrats on the new camper. Why don't you see if you can make it to the Spring Fling in New England Rally for May 11 - 14 in Chocorua NH.
Going to be loads of fun with over 30 FGRV members coming from all over.
See thread in Rallies and if makeing a reservation be sure to say it's for the "Spring Fling" so discounts can be given.
Again congrats on the Scamp
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: Escape... exScamp 19 both great trailers
Wisconsin
Congrats!!

We bought our 19' a few months back. Absolutely the best camper we ever owned (we have had many ⛺️) easy to maneuver, comfortable, tows like a dream have put on aprox. 4,000 miles and have spent a few weeks living out of it.... have basically the same upgrades in mind..... plus some small others such as easier access to light switches, Olympian ceramic heater, liquor cabinet (just kidding !!)portable solar, possible heavy duty rear hitch with modifications to pull small trailer. I know, not recommended, with proper fabrication and weight distribution, might be worth the try.
Hope to see you on the road.
Jim and Linda
Jm Rintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm Rintel View Post
We bought our 19' a few months back. Absolutely the best camper we ever owned (we have had many ⛺️) easy to maneuver, comfortable, tows like a dream have put on aprox. 4,000 miles and have spent a few weeks living out of it.... have basically the same upgrades in mind..... plus some small others such as easier access to light switches, Olympian ceramic heater, liquor cabinet (just kidding !!)portable solar, possible heavy duty rear hitch with modifications to pull small trailer. I know, not recommended, with proper fabrication and weight distribution, might be worth the try.
Hope to see you on the road.
Jim and Linda
Not only not recommended, but illegal in many States.i would check the laws before triple towing before entering other States.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

Wisconsin
You are absolutely right!
Some states do not allow triples at all, others have regulations for comercial verses recreational, others must be a dolly with 5th wheel attachment and brakes on all units. Know the laws have correct equipment. Lots to consider before a build or purchase
Old 04-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've seen it done, a 5th wheel trailer with a boat hooked behind. That would be called "doubles" (two trailers) I have a CDL doubles license, but the second trailer hooked to a dolly that was connected to the first trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Oops doubles it is 😬
Old 04-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Or triple. I got curious and visited a bunch of RV sites. Seems like "double towing" and "triple towing" are used interchangeably in the RV community, with "triple" being more common.

Of course, in commercial trucking it's always "doubles."

In light of the recent long thread about RV terminology, it's perhaps not surprising we don't agree about this one either!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try backing a double bottom or triple and you will be calling it something totally different.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

New York
If you want to count the tow vehicle, then it's triple ( 3 ) units. In many states commercial doubles are restricted to certain roads. Once exiting those roads the second trailer has to be dropped and moved singly. You'll usually only see doubles on the interstates.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Backing a triple can be done, with practice- I've seen a video. Okay... lots of practice! But most people never do. If you really get in a tight place, unhitch the trailer, move it out of the way by hand, turn the 5er around, and rehitch. I wouldn't attempt to triple tow anything I couldn't move by hand or anything heavier or less stable than a small fishing boat.

Never done it and no plans to, but I don't see a problem for a short trip on uncongested, familiar roads to a local fishing hole. Where it's legal, of course.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #12

New York
Talk about fishing boat along with towing a trailer. This past winter in Florida a couple came in with a big 5th wheel camper. Over the cab on a rack was an aluminum boat, maybe 15 foot or so, mounted upside down. After dropping the trailer he pulled over to the boat launch area with the truck. The boat rack had a couple electric winches. Through a series of moves the boat slid forward, tilted down, and ended right side up. The guy then flipped down a couple small wheels at the stern, attached a tow bar to the front of the boat, took the motor out of the pickup bed and put it on the boat, hooked the boat to the truck and backed it into the water. Neatest thing I ever saw.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
I'll bet he paid a pretty penny for that set-up! But it's a nice solution for interstate travel so you don't have to navigate triple towing laws, as well as for use with bumper-pull RVs. Safer, too. I'm guessing you couldn't tow the trailer like that on the highway- you'd have to reload and unload to take the boat to a different fishing spot, right?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #14

Wisconsin
Hence the aforementioned -liquor cabinet- 🙃 I guess once the creative juices get stirred heaven knows where they'll lead. But back to original post.... what a great place to exchange modifications and upgrades ideas. The ones that worked and the ones that didn't
Old 04-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #15

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
ArthurBNH welcome from RandyNH. I wonder, is that the scamp missing from exit 1 on 101, passed by yesterday and noticed it was gone.

If so, I'll update the posting of it in the classifieds, to sold.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #16

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
Yes it is!

Thats the one
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp