New Scamp - not yet. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
New Scamp - not yet.

Hi! I am Patti from Canada. I finally settled on a Scamp - new. As much as I would love to restore and make it mine, my husband and I do not have the skill or a whole lot of time. So we decided new. However how can I modify it to make it mine? We visit the factory next month (Aug). How can I get around the carpet on the walls??? I would love to put up tile and tweak out some extra counter space and hide those support bars (loved the box that Haunted Mansion made). Put in hardwoods. I have been reading the forums and there are some brilliant people out there. Any suggestions would be helpful. It is overwhelming reading posts. Thanks!
pattimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Patti, to FiberglassRV!

You will figure out ways to make any trailer your own, through accent pillows, curtains, flooring, throw rugs, etc. There are threads about putting up "stuff" behind the galley area. You can change the support bars to something that suits you. It doesn't need to be ugly twisted metal. Don't worry about the rat fur. It's there for a purpose and you'll find it kinda disappears from view with all your accent pieces.

I find the Rat Fur to be soothing and really easy to vacuum, etc. I don't even notice it...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimak View Post
.... I have been reading the forums ... It is overwhelming reading posts. Thanks!
Keep reading, and use the search function. I think all the answer you seek are in this (and other) forums but it takes a lot of time to read it all.

Of course if you don't find answer to a specific question, ask here or ask Scamp (esp when you go in person).

As for the rat fur on the walls... it is there for a reason so think twice about not having it. What would you ever use instead to cover the insulation? I suspect sound insulation is another reason for it. If you really decide you don't want I then I bet Scamp will build yours without it. But then you have uncovered insulation. If you forgo the insulation also I think you will be very unhappy.

Be careful with the roof supports. (As I understand it) they are a structural item required for roof and or cabinet support. If removed they should be replaced with something that has equivalent characteristics.

If you like the hardwoods then the DLX model might be for you.. I prefer function over appearance myself, and didn't want to tow around unneeded weight just because it looks nice.

Get your order in soon.. you don't have to have every detail decided at time of order and the wait is many months.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Welcome

Don't worry Patti, the 'rat fur' as we Scampers call it wiil grow on you. There are options to replace the wrought iron, just don't illuminate it as it is weight bearing for your roof.
Happy camping!
crowwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #5

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
... There are options to replace the wrought iron, just don't illuminate it as it is weight bearing for your roof.
Happy camping!

.. Actually you can put as much light on it as your wish.

He meant to say "eliminate." Don't you just love auto-(mis)correct!)
Old 07-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
From my personal opinion, I would accept the "rat fur" (ala Marine Upholstery) or forget the Scamp altogether. Casita has carpet on the walls to which my wife did NOT like and still prefers the rat fur. I put vinyl spindles around the ugly wrought-iron. For the ones that know Scamp and have seen it in person, they consider it a nice cover-up.

As someone else already mentioned, you could get the "Deluxe" Scamp with the hardwood. If I'm not mistaken, it will be apx $2-3K more though. Again, wife preferred the "Standard" model with the white gelcoated fiberglass bulkhead, cabinets etc to "brighten" the already-small interior on our 13'er.

I'll reiterate, if you dont have the "skill", I SURE wouldnt consider a bare-skinned Scamp and try to cover the super "curvy" interior. If you do, I think you WILL regret it! For what it's worth, some campers use a vinyl interior (Escapes?). But I have never heard of Scamp having an "option" on the wall covering.

Quote:
Hi! I am Patti from Canada. I finally settled on a Scamp - new. As much as I would love to restore and make it mine, my husband and I do not have the skill or a whole lot of time. So we decided new. However how can I modify it to make it mine? We visit the factory next month (Aug). How can I get around the carpet on the walls??? I would love to put up tile and tweak out some extra counter space and hide those support bars (loved the box that Haunted Mansion made). Put in hardwoods. I have been reading the forums and there are some brilliant people out there. Any suggestions would be helpful. It is overwhelming reading posts. Thanks!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
If you want hardwoods, buy the Deluxe.
notice that the windows, cabinets and curtains reduce the ratfur walls to the impression of an accent. OH! and no "wrought iron".
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

Pic015.JPG   scamp pictures 017.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #8

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
First of all, you must learn to minimize! Keep things in the two vehicle and away from walking areas. Scamps have tiny walkways and just a few things can get in the way. We keep our rear bed made up,that way all the time, as we have a side dinette. You can store luggage under the made up bed as there is ample room. I have installed a TV, under cabinet radio, teak shower floor, new cushion covers, new curtains, and outlets that stick to the rat fur inside. Check out the Scamp Forum for great ideas to make it yours!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Hi! I am Patti from Canada. ... Thanks!
A few more thoughts..

I think that you can “make it yours” with little touches, such as curtains. I for one would not worry about more major changes right away since there are many things to keep you busy with a new trailer.

The design of the trailer is somewhat dated, but it is time tested. You need to think about construction techniques and materials that are used in trailers and why they are used. You mentioned tile but how well will tile and grout hold up in a trailer that is always shaking and flexing when on the road? I too like some of the stuff they did with the Hunted Mansion, but I do wonder about the longevity of some of the mods.

Have you ever lived in a empty, bare walled fiberglass bubble? I have not either but I bet the sound deading effect of the rat fur would be a welcome addition if I had. And laminate flooring will not hold well to the water which always seems to frequently find its way to the floor on any RV (but check out this great alternative to traditional laminate).

In fact, I am buying new in no small part because I think there will be plenty to keep me busy just getting the trailer set up the way I want it, without doing any rebuilding or major changes.

I think there are some worthwhile things to do that have nothing to do with the trailer’s appearance. I plan to add a “Charge wizard” and hardwired RV Surge Protector. These will not even be visible but are a good investment.
The Maxx Air vent cover looks like a good idea.. that way you can open you roof vent and move some fresh air even when it’s raining. Comfort over appearance.

And a TV antenna is also on my list, but not the one that Scamp offers.

If you think you want to redo the floor anytime in the future then I would pay the extra $75 for the vinyl upgrade instead of getting the standard carpet. Not only should vinyl be easier to replace (or just cover with floating laminate), I also heard that Scamp smoothes out the floor if you get the vinyl. This would be typical since, in homes at least, carpet is often used to hide subfloor imperfections. If you get the standard carpet instead and then redo the floor, you might have to work on the subfloor before adding the flooring of your choice or imprecations will show through.

(Links do not imply recommendations for items or sources)
Old 07-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #10

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Hi, Patti from Canada, welcome! I felt the same way you do about the wall coverings in my Casita 17. I even bought a couple of pieces of artwork to somehow apply to the walls. But once I had the Casita in my possession, I discovered that Donna D. Is right. There ARE no walls! I would not recommend you think too much about decorating until you have your stuff in place. My four-person dinette is permanently a bed, so the pretty quilt and pillows I have on it are enough, at least for now. Happy trails in your new Scamp!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #11

Name: Patti
Manitoba
Wow! All valid responses that I / we (lets face it - who is the driving force behind this purchase) will definitely consider. I totally understand why the rat fur but just thought there might be something out there that would do the same purpose since Scamp can be a little outdated. So with that said I will come to love the rat fur. Thank you all for responding. I will read you in the forums.
pattimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #12

Name: mary
Trailer: 16 S/D Scamp 2010
California
I did a Tropical theme in my Scamp, and used Velcro to put tropical fish on the walls, and used day glow stars on the bathroom door so you can find it in the dark!
marywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolf View Post
I ...used Velcro to put tropical fish on the walls, ...
Another reason to keep the Rat Fur.. Velcro sticks to it!
Old 07-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Get a load of this Patti. This will just melt yer heart with "rat fur" . This is an example of all you can do with the rat fur walls AND smooth fiberglass cabinets. Suction cups and velcro is your friend! They grapes on the wall are there using "straight pins"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50351683@N08/12756277514/

Quote:
Wow! All valid responses that I / we (lets face it - who is the driving force behind this purchase) will definitely consider. I totally understand why the rat fur but just thought there might be something out there that would do the same purpose since Scamp can be a little outdated. So with that said I will come to love the rat fur. Thank you all for responding. I will read you in the forums.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #15

Name: D. Jim
Manitoba
Come see ours

Quote:
Marlene & I would love to show you ours and see the mods we have done. We just got back from a 10,000 km trip to the Maritimes. Lots to tell. We live In Steinbach. Contact us. There is also a FGRV meet at St Malo Prov Park on Aug 14-16. Join us there and become part of the group. As with the forum there is lots to share and learn in a group setting, not to mention the opportunity to meet new people.
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #16

Name: D. Jim
Manitoba
Marlene & I would love to show you our 2014 Scamp 16 and the mods we've done. We just got back from a 10,000 km trip to The Maritimes.. Lots to tell. Contact us!
There is also an FGRV meet at St Malo Prov Park on Aug 14-16. Come join us there and become part of the group. So much to share and learn with one another, not to mention the opportunity to meet new people.
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:23 AM   #17

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
Quote referred to :New Scamp-not yet Patti and DH

Hey y'all! I am Carol and the Dear Hubby is Jim; we also are newbies. We are getting the 16' 2015 Scamp with layout 6 brought down to us in NE Georgia mountains the week of Aug 17th. We (DH and I)have never had anything but a tent in our 22 years of marriage; my parents and we 3 kids had tent trailers, pop-ups, a Scotty, (after we left home-several other things and a Coachman(men?) RV at the end) and had fine time. We are both over 60 now and the ground has gotten harder. So we are awaiting the key to Fun and Freedom, getting away from our house in the Blue Ridge Mountains and going back South to Fla where I was raised and getting North towards NY State where he grew up. We need parking next to lakes and, jumping in them!
PATTI, if you are familiar with Pinterest, (or not), you can set up an account and find fellow trailer couples, singles and families who have posted all kinds of great lists of helpful lists, pictures and handy helpful hints. When you find things you like, just Pin the Interest on your board and you can collect a nice amount to read, refer back to, or print at your leisure; lots of clever men and women out there too! We hope to see you all somewhere down the road. Later, Gators!
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp