New Scamp Owner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Posts: 1,350
Good point Carol, I wonder if it is newer because the windows don't look really old either but I am not sure when they changed to that type.
Scamp 13's tend to ride fairly low. When you look at this pic of a brand new one I don't see much difference.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
__________________

__________________
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Good point Carol, I wonder if it is newer because the windows don't look really old either but I am not sure when they changed to that type.
Scamp 13's tend to ride fairly low. When you look at this pic of a brand new one I don't see much difference.
Actually since I questioned about the location of the power and water Donna D. told me her deluxe 16' in the same age group had the power on the drivers side and only city water on passenger side. Took a look at other 4 sales of the 13' and it looks like they had their power and water on the drivers side in the 80's. Looks like it was only the 16' Standards that had power and water on the passenger side until the mid 90's.

Re the windows - not sure what year they started offering that style of window but have seen them on an 87 as well.
__________________

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
papa-t's Avatar
 
Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Dude......I think you got the deal of the year!!!! Good job
I agree. Nice Job and welcome to FGRV. Tell us the story behind your find.
__________________
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
I will do that in the next couple of days. Thanks to all for the welcome.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
__________________
ritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,555
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Scamp 13's tend to ride fairly low. When you look at this pic of a brand new one I don't see much difference.

I'm not sure ride height is the best indicator of axle condition because of that very reason. Obviously an extreme low-rider is probably way past due, but (especially if it has been used little and stored properly) the ride height can look good, but the rubber inside the axle is shot. Just like tires, they age irrespective of use. The trailer is 25 years old. Unless it's had an axle swap recently, there's a good chance it's due. Worth the time to check, anyway.
__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm not sure ride height is the best indicator of axle condition because of that very reason. Obviously an extreme low-rider is probably way past due, but (especially if it has been used little and stored properly) the ride height can look good, but the rubber inside the axle is shot. Just like tires, they age irrespective of use. The trailer is 25 years old. Unless it's had an axle swap recently, there's a good chance it's due. Worth the time to check, anyway.
I see your poin in this. If the axle is shot I'm assuming you can get new ones. Where would I get a new one and do you have an idea how much they are.
__________________
ritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
David B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Posts: 1,717
Registry
Welcome to the FGRV forum family. I had gotten a Flexiride axle from Spec Trac in Mesa Arizona. You don't have any information filling in on you profile, so someone could help you in your area.
Dave & Paula
__________________
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Roger C H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Posts: 2,172
Registry
Smile Welcome and congratulations

Your name should be Jesse James with the price you got that Scamp for !!
__________________
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Jack up one side (on the frame near the axle, not on the axle itself). Watch to see if the axle arm drops as the frame rises. Little or no movement indicates a worn-out axle. You can also check clearance between the top of the tire and the inner wheel well. Other signs are uneven tire wear and excessive bouncing (like curtains & cushions & cabinet contents on the floor).
Hi Jon, I checked the clearance between the tire and wheel well,there is 4 inches . Then I jacked it up like you said I got 5 inches. Then I put a bar under the tire and pride up like you would do to check for bad ball joint. It doesn't seem spongy.
.
__________________
ritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Scott there are lots of older fiberglass trailers being towed around with original axles as your has. My 92 has its original axle and I still has lots of clearance all the way around it and it tows fine. Clearance on yours sounds like it may be ok but take a look for tire rub marks on the wheel well (indication the wheels are hitting it when going over bumps), also take a look at tire wear - if its not even thats a good sign the axle is done, as is if everything in the trailer bounces around and onto the floor when you tow it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Scott there are lots of older fiberglass trailers being towed around with original axles as your has. My 92 has its original axle and I still has lots of clearance all the way around it and it tows fine. Clearance on yours sounds like it may be ok but take a look for tire rub marks on the wheel well (indication the wheels are hitting it when going over bumps), also take a look at tire wear - if its not even thats a good sign the axle is done, as is if everything in the trailer bounces around and onto the floor when you tow it.

Hi Carol, I did look for rub marks there are none. As far as tire wear they are brand new. We went on an over nighter last week about 350 miles round trip it towed fine behind my Nissan Altima 4 cylinder.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
__________________
ritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritman View Post
Hi Carol, I did look for rub marks there are none. As far as tire wear they are brand new. We went on an over nighter last week about 350 miles round trip it towed fine behind my Nissan Altima 4 cylinder.


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Then its probable just fine as it is for a few more years... just keep an eye on your tire wear.

Its kind of cool that you scored the deal of the century and you get to brag that it doesnt really need an axle either!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Posts: 25
I'm am going to write the story of how I found it and my repairs on it with in the next couple of days. Do I post that in this thread?


Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
__________________
ritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,555
Registry
Great news about the axle!

I'd probably put your story here, since the question was raised here, but I would start a new thread(s) for the work you do in the maintenance forums.
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Scamp (me, not the Scamp) owner Stumpjumper Hi, I am.... 8 11-27-2013 01:53 PM
New Surf Side owner looking for owner's manual Lake Surfer Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 06-14-2012 09:49 PM
New (Older) Scamp Owner, New Member Harvey Hi, I am.... 12 02-06-2011 10:34 PM
New Scamp owner & New member. 1992 Scamp 16 project LanM Hi, I am.... 16 01-31-2011 09:05 PM
New old owner, or old new owner? drews60 General Chat 7 11-17-2006 05:36 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.