New Scamp owner & New member. 1992 Scamp 16 project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
New Scamp owner & New member. 1992 Scamp 16 project

Hi guys and gals, I'm new to the forum and just got my hands on a what I was told is a 1992 scamp 16, although its titled as a 2002 homemade since it was an ex military trailer.

It has a few issues, a nice crack in the lower shell and one of the door hinges broke right out, but after a trip to the auto supply store and some research I'm sure I can tackle that.

I already wet sanded a patch on the upper part of the shell to see how the gelcoat would come back, and it looks like it will look pretty good. I started with 400,then 600,1000,1500, and a final 2500.

There was a "max sped 55mph" notice pained under the front window which I sanded off (left a but of yellow discoloration).

I'm looking forward to renovating this trailer, this looks like a great site with a lot of good people!

LanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

I have a couple pics of the test spot, I like the fact the upper half of he shell will likely polish out nicely. I'm probably going to have to two tone iton the lower half or maybe tape a line at the top of the crack and paint it a second color form there down. Time will tell.

The one thing that really drives me nuts is that ALL the rivet caps are gone, and the washers are broke off as well.....so I'm not sure what to do, replace all the rivets, or just silicone or epoxy rivet caps over the existing rivet heads and call it a day.

here's a couple pics:

Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #3

Good morning!
looks like I may have not put this in the appropriate topic, I apologize and moderators feel free to move as necessary.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Looks like a fun project. The speed limit warning would fit right in with the ex-military story. I wonder if this camper was available for families to rent?

As far as the broken rivet covers and washers. I would just replace the whole deal. Rivets, washers and covers. It's not that big of a job, especially with an assistant. It'll look great when done.
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the info Bryan. I'm likely going to replace all the rivets just to do it the right way. I wonder how hard it would be to pull the "rat fur" and insulation to check for water intrusion while replacing rivets?

I'm pretty sure it was a military use camper. It has 3 large MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) "Serving America's Military" stickers on it and was probably a free loaner for soldiers.

I'm looking forward to the project, but after towing it home 400 miles I'd rather have the 13 foot version. I got 17mpg towing the 13 foot scamp I sold last month (bought it to resell), but get only 13.5mpg towing the 16 footer.

If it ever stops raining up here I'll get a chance to start doing some glass work.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have the same military surplus trailer in my side yard right now only it's a 96. It has some scrapes but no fractures.
If you are going to re rivet the entire trailer Harbor Freight has a pneumatic riveter for about $40.00 that works very well. You will end up with an arthritic hand if you use a hand riveter.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip John. Is the pneumatic rivet gun foolproof or do I have ot worry about damaging something?

The nearest harbor freight is a couple hours away but I'll pick one up for the job.

I've never done glass work but I'm reading some tutorials and it looks very doable. I bought better materials ($120 at the body shop vs $65 at walmart) so I hope the repair is a quality one.

John, is your military trailer titled as a homemade or a scamp? The previous owner of mine titled it as a homemade for some reason (maybe he never got the sf97 back or something). Would you mind pm'ing me and giving me an idea of what you gave for yours to see if I got "riveted". Thanks!

Also, does yours have what appear to be a plate welded on the frame rail side at roughly the point where the frame rails go under the shell? I know the 13 didn't have them, and don't know if that is standard for the 16 or not. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Lan, welcome and have fun with your project.

I also ahave a 92 16' Scamp and the first thing I noted on your first photo was the frame rails you mention where the tongue attaches to the frame as it goes under the trailer. Mine has the same. Have looked at other 16' Scamps previously to see if they were the same and all where different but none were in the same age group. Had people mention they think it was messed with at some point but the party I purchased from told me it was how it came new. Now I see your trailer is the same year with the same design I'm feeling pretty sure thats how they were done at the time.

re the rivets - you are best to just replace all of them. I have over the past 3 years pretty well done all of mine. You can purchase directly from Scamp a package that will contain everything you need - rivets, washers and caps and the price is reasonable and its less hassel than trying to find some place else all the different rivet lengths, cap and washer sizes they used.

You can peel of the strips of rat fur that cover the seams and peel back the rat fur and insulation to look for water damage and use 3M spary to stick back when finished. Pretty hard to get a really good look without taking it all down though and to do that you will need to pull out all the windows. If you see water damage under the windows you may have to do that - so far I have only had to take out and reseal one window but mine had limit usage when I purchased it and was stored inside most of its life.

Carol
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #9

Carol,

Can you explain more of what you are talking about concerning the frame rails? I'm just trying to figure out how it's different than what I normally see!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #10

I'm glad to see there's a few of us out there with ex military trailers. I'm definitely going to replace all the rivets Carol, thanks for the info. Luckily mine has spent the past few years inside a garage, and prior to that the roof vent had been replaced, and I see no current evidence of water intrusion after two days rain.

Bryan, The appearance of the "patch" we're taking about is on the tongue portion of the frame rails, and only about 3-4 inches of it is visible. It almost looks like someone did a frame repair and welded a patch onto each side, but apparently more than one has it. I can take a pic if you'd like.

Lan.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Lan,

I just went out and looked at my 2009 16' SD and I have what appears to be a 3' x 2" angle iron welded to the outside and bottom of my frame where it goes under the front of the trailer.

My guess is that is how Scamp makes them and reinforces the frame where the weight of the shell sits.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanM View Post
Bryan, The appearance of the "patch" we're taking about is on the tongue portion of the frame rails, and only about 3-4 inches of it is visible. It almost looks like someone did a frame repair and welded a patch onto each side, but apparently more than one has it. I can take a pic if you'd like.

Lan.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
Carol,

Can you explain more of what you are talking about concerning the frame rails? I'm just trying to figure out how it's different than what I normally see!
Bryan, if you look at Lan's first photo at the point just before the main frame goes under the trailer there is an over lap thats not on the 13'. I have had a number of FG owners suggest to me at meets here that its not right and that its been rebuilt at some point. Perhaps you have seen that on other 16's I had not. But then again I have only seen a couple of other 16' , that was until Bandon and to be honest I forgot to look! Sounds like that is how it is on a number of 16' so it may be the norm and the couple I have seen without are not the norm? LOL but wonder why they all don't have it.

Carol
Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #13

Here's a pic of that elusive plate we're all talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture.jpg  
Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #14

I just went and looked at my '91 sixteen-footer and mine has that plate also. Mine doesn't stick out the front as much as Lan's does though. Matter of fact, mine barely sticks out the front at all. My whole piece is only about ten inches long. Interesting.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #15

Registry
Thanks Bryan for this. I was starting to worry a bit as I mentioned on the few other 16' I had seen I had not noticed it. Sounds like it may be on all the 16' but for a number of years they did not put it so far out in front.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #16

Name: doug
Trailer: scamp and burro and sunline
Massachusetts
the scamp travel trailer site has a web page for parts and their service tecks are the best contact them and its free doug
doug reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #17

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Congrats on the trailer. I also own an ex-military 16'. Mine was a loaner out of Camp Pendleton Marine Base. Not in too bad condition, but the first thing I noticed was they stripped off the electric brakes, put on a 4pole connector, and took out the water tank. Also noticed that the bearings had not been repacked since new-by the looks of them-pretty gummy. I had trouble with the DMV on registration, so ended up buying a wrecked trailer and switching the VIN and the DMV didn't care. I have also replaced most of the rivets, and replaced all cabinet doors and table top.

Oh, and I have the welded on brackets on the trailer side of the A frames.

Tags
scamp