New Scamp Owners in the Twin Cities - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Smile New Scamp Owners in the Twin Cities

Hello,

My name is Susan and my husband's name is Pierre. I am originally from California and my husband is from Montreal. We currently reside in the Twin Cities and have just purchased our first travel trailer. We chose this unit for its light weight, available features, and price after looking at lots of options including teardrops. For me, it had to have a bathroom and for my husband, I wanted him to be able to stand up in it. Just last week, we picked up our Scamp 13 from the factory in Backus, and it was -25 degrees when we arrived. We have never towed or had a trailer before so we were happy just to get it to our storage lot safely. We have a lot of learning to do so greatly appreciate this group to help us out. We can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can take our Scamp out on its maiden voyage. Thanks for the support.

Sincerely,

Susan and Pierre
SusanandPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #2

Name: Norma J
Trailer: Scamp 19'
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanandPierre View Post
Hello,

My name is Susan and my husband's name is Pierre. I am originally from California and my husband is from Montreal. We currently reside in the Twin Cities and have just purchased our first travel trailer. We chose this unit for its light weight, available features, and price after looking at lots of options including teardrops. For me, it had to have a bathroom and for my husband, I wanted him to be able to stand up in it. Just last week, we picked up our Scamp 13 from the factory in Backus, and it was -25 degrees when we arrived. We have never towed or had a trailer before so we were happy just to get it to our storage lot safely. We have a lot of learning to do so greatly appreciate this group to help us out. We can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can take our Scamp out on its maiden voyage. Thanks for the support.

Sincerely,

Susan and Pierre
Welcome....you have never learned in such an enjoyable way!
Norma G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Scamp Owners in the Twin Cities

Welcome and congratulations on your new Scamp! Probably too cold yet for "driveway camping," so it'll have to be "armchair camping" for now. Read the manual, watch the videos, ask questions here, and, best of all, plan some trips. Enjoy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome, congratulations, and all the best!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Susan–

You are going to love your Scamp!

We brought ours home on Dec. 29th 2014 in very similar weather. I had never towed anything before and backing it in to a 10foot opening off our Minneapolis alley was "interesting."

You may want to join our group who will be getting together at MN Kathio State Park's Petaga Campground May 6-8. There will be 20 or more trailers getting together. Just reserve through the state park reservation system or show up for one of the last minute spots.

Many of these people will also be getting together at Egg Harbor, Wisconsin on June 8-12. There are about 30 trailers already reserved with more to come. We would love to have you join us at either or both.

See:https://sites.google.com/site/eggsateggharbor/
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Scamp

Welcome from a life long resident of the twin cities (St. Paul)
Spring is only 4 months away . We picked up our Scamp in April
and got trapped in a snow storm . Backus is a great place to camp
in the summer month / months.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Welcome aboard! We too own a Scamp, a 2008 16 and it is beautiful! I took it to the factory last summer for many updates, and it is now a super deluxe Scamp! Hope to meet you at a Scamp outing. In the mean time, get on the Scamp Owners Forum.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Thank you Rich, we will check this out!
Old 01-28-2016, 01:31 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Bonjour Susan and Pierre!
John
Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13
Minnesota
Congrats on your purchase and taking delivery. We live in Minneapolis, placed an order for a 13' Standard in mid-December and take delivery in early August. Looking forward to getting ours. We have a list of accesories and such.
jkruzitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Pennsylvania
Are you able to park your scamp on your own lot? We had a hard time finding a place to store ours. Considered turning part of our yard into a parking spot but being new trailer drivers, wasn't sure how hard it would be to maneuver into the alley and make the turn into our yard.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13
Minnesota
There is no room on our small city lot to store ours. The garage is such that the back alley won't work. I am going to have to find a storage place, get in and just pay rear-round. Looks like anywhere from $60-$100/month is the going rate for outdoor storage in and around Minneapolis. I figured that in to the total cost of getting into a Scamp. Craigslist seems like a good source for storage too.
jkruzitski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Storage in MN

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check out Craigslist. For now, we were able to secure a spot at Sure-Lock RV storage in Inver Grove Heights.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #14
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Folks
I just helped a friend in the same situation not only find a heated garage but one within 3 miles of his house!
We contacted all the Churches around his house with the proposal of paying $90 a month to the Church missions, youth group, community outreach, or whatever their need was. We included trailer length, height and width and in one week he had 3 possibilities. I left it up to him to check with his insurance regarding any coverage issues during storage.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Folks
I just helped a friend in the same situation not only find a heated garage but one within 3 miles of his house!
We contacted all the Churches around his house with the proposal of paying $90 a month to the Church missions, youth group, community outreach, or whatever their need was. We included trailer length, height and width and in one week he had 3 possibilities. I left it up to him to check with his insurance regarding any coverage issues during storage.
Sid

Welcome Susan, I hope the spring come early so you can enjoy your new trailer.

Sid, that was a great idea!! We have a rule across our whole municipality that says we can not have trailers and boats etc in our front driveways during the winter months. There is an elderly couple in the neighbourhood who has a nice large flat extra parking spot beside there home that is legal for leaving a trailer/boat in year round & they have one of those portable garages over the spot. Neither of the home owners drive these days. Now every year someone in the neighbourhood rents that spot from them for a trailer for $50 a month which is a real deal in these parts.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 AM   #16

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Susan-

I do not know how much room you have to get in from your Minneapolis alley. We were able to make it work. Yes, it was embarrassing the first time I tried to back in around the corner of the garage, but it gets easier every time. The plus is having the trailer at home to use as a party house or to work on when you please.

For security, I put in a 6' high chain link gate that is 10' wide and ties in with the fence that was already on the property. I laid down multiple 4'X4' 3/4" treated ground contact plywood panels as a base on which to back up–backing into a mud pit is no fun. A concrete or asphalt pad was more than I could afford.

Here is a photo to show it can be possible to keep your trailer at home.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0720.jpg  
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp