New Scamper Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

Name: pcrdude
Trailer: Scamp 13
Missouri
New Scamper Camper

Hi everyone!!!

My dad bought a Scamp 13 in 2010, and I just bought it from him. He has ordered a 16 footer, and will be picking it up in November.

Mine is the no bathroom option, and has the furnace, three-way fridge but no A/C. It gets very hot and humid in the summers here, so I bought a portable A/C unit (8000 BTU, single hose). Now, I'm wondering if its going to take up more room than I would like.

The Scamp has the reinforcement for a roof A/C from the factory (and the power line), so maybe I should go that route? I'm thinking it's going to cost quite a bit to have one installed...

Oh well, sorry for the ramble....

BTW, the TV is a 2006 Honda CR-V, and I am using a brake controller...

pcrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Some folks use a $100.00 window unit in the rear window. But if you do a lot of warm weather camping with available hook ups I would go with the rooftop unit. There is just not enough floor space for frequent use of a portable AC.

Good luck, John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
The roof a/c are easy to install yourself, just make sure the roof will hold it. The window units can be installed in the closet next to the door or under the dinette seats. My Boler had a roof a/c installed in 2012 by the previous owner but it wasn't designed for it and he didn't reinforce it right and the roof was sagging so we removed it and went with a 5000 BTU for the closet, which is plenty for the approx. 60 square foot trailer. If you want a bath check out my mod http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post533491 where we turned our bunks 90 degrees and added the shower/toilet...I have the roof mount dometic and it works great, planning to use it on my next trailer build project
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I agree with John. There seem to be some good deals out there on RV roof top A/C's now. (<$500) The big factor with those units is noise, go online and check out the reviews if you decide to go the roof top route. The other factor is, will run off of a 2 KW generator?
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Just so the OP knows, "Scamper" is a brand name of an entirely different type of (mostly) slide-in pick-up campers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #6

Missouri
Thanks Bob, I was trying to be humorous, and didn't know about the real "Scamper". As for the roof unit, I have verified that the reinforcement is there by looking at the original receipt from Scamp. Is the noise quite loud for the roof units? I was looking at a Coleman Polar Cub 9200 on the interwebbies.....
Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You'll get opinions all over the board here-- literally!

But I have the roof mount a/c... and mine too is a 2010. I also bought it with the heat strip...so NOW...no closet/windows taken up with A/C... no small portable heaters necessary in the middle of the floor-- did not order furnace nor would I now.

One problem some run into is, getting the cool air UP if the A/C is mounted near the floor. These small trailers are NOT insulated like your house and that is a factor for cooling. I too live in the humid south and would NOT even think about camping without my A/C. With the roof mount, the cold air comes out AT the top where it's needed of course then falls but makes for a more comfortable temp during the heat of the day in my opinion. Some use a fan on the floor for the closet-mount (on the floor) models to push the air upwards.

You say the roof is prepped and if you have the money, I'd go with the roof mount a/c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrdude View Post
Hi everyone!!!

My dad bought a Scamp 13 in 2010, and I just bought it from him. He has ordered a 16 footer, and will be picking it up in November.

Mine is the no bathroom option, and has the furnace, three-way fridge but no A/C. It gets very hot and humid in the summers here, so I bought a portable A/C unit (8000 BTU, single hose). Now, I'm wondering if its going to take up more room than I would like.

The Scamp has the reinforcement for a roof A/C from the factory (and the power line), so maybe I should go that route? I'm thinking it's going to cost quite a bit to have one installed...

Oh well, sorry for the ramble....

BTW, the TV is a 2006 Honda CR-V, and I am using a brake controller...

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #8

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
You'll get opinions all over the board here-- literally!

But I have the roof mount a/c... and mine too is a 2010. I also bought it with the heat strip...so NOW...no closet/windows taken up with A/C... no small portable heaters necessary in the middle of the floor-- did not order furnace nor would I now.

One problem some run into is, getting the cool air UP if the A/C is mounted near the floor. These small trailers are NOT insulated like your house and that is a factor for cooling. I too live in the humid south and would NOT even think about camping without my A/C. With the roof mount, the cold air comes out AT the top where it's needed of course then falls but makes for a more comfortable temp during the heat of the day in my opinion. Some use a fan on the floor for the closet-mount (on the floor) models to push the air upwards.

You say the roof is prepped and if you have the money, I'd go with the roof mount a/c.
Thank you so much for your advice! AND, thanks to all the other poster's advice as well!!!

I have yet to try the portable I already bought, but it blows the cold air up which would be a plus. The more I think about it, though, the more I am liking the roof unit.

This looks like a decent price:
Coleman Polar Cub Mach 8 WHITE SHROUD NON DUCTED COMPLETE with CEILING ASSEMBLY

About $690 shipped. But, I would need to pay for installation (I don't want to muck through it on my own)....

Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That's the same btu (9200) that came in mine. You wont have any cooling problems. I think the most difficult part of mounting that A/C is getting at it from the roof. It will take a 14" square opening...the same as the vents.

I've always thought that IF I were to ever attempt such a feat- working on/replacing my A/C, I'd set up some scaffolding and pull the trailer underneath. That way, you can access it without having to put additional weight on the roof. NEVER tried this so I cant say it would or HOW it would work...but some original ideas I've had.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp