New- Subaru Forester-What Can it Pull? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #41

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Always trust a salesman.
He was the owner, designer, and builder of said trailer.

And he did sound dubious when we were talking about it. Seemed like he wound not recommend it to customers, but would try to meet their wishes as best he could. I did notice he walked us through everything in the trailer, had us show him we knew how to hook up and unhook, that lights and brakes worked properly, then sign off that we had done all this before handing over the title and being let go.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Bobbie, those photos don't show your Forester pulling a trailer.
They show your Forester parked and hooked to a trailer!
Like this?? No really your Pleiades should do just fine with a Scamp13 and I think the manufacturer would agree.
Attached Thumbnails
suBARu 013.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:05 AM   #43

Name: Harriet
Trailer: Wtd: Something Tiny!
California
Randomly-Placed Response

I'm too blonde to figure out how to respond to each post. Seriously though....why didn't they teach me useful stuff in college?! Like tongue weights!?! But noooo, it was all "Plato blah blah blah". :rolaeyes: Can I insert responses to specific posts, or do I need to just put all the responses at the end of the thread?

Bobbie - ssshhhhh, re: le Campster - at least let me find out my wimpy-car specs.

Re: Tabs - YES, there's one for sale near me - but nooo, because it's too heavy.

Not shockingly, the Subaru folk didn't want to spend their time talking to me today. I'll wait til after christmas, and will return (triumphant?) with the news. If I Wasn't so set on going up to Tahoe I'd just slowly coast to....the coast. But...Tahoe Is where I want to go, so WimpySub needs to be able to pull whatever it is up hills. In the summer.

If I can't pull a decent camper I may just turn the car itself into a decent camper!

Oh, and.......if I Do find out that my year was one of the head-gasket-problem years - and if I haven't head work done on it yet (can't find records right now) - could anyone advise me re: what I should do?

Thanks y'all! Night John Boy! Night Elizabeth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
The head gasket problem hit about 180,000 miles on my 2000. A little earlier on Mom's 02.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
The new ones are rated at 1500. Yours is 2400. Don't listen to anyone who says you can't tow a small trailer. Just aim to stay under about 1500 dry weight (the lower the better). I agree with you- no point trading in a great car with only 80,000 miles on it. People will tell you a lot of stuff but not very many of them have towed for 8 years with a Subaru Forester as I have.

One thing you should try to do (but maybe can't for a few months) is go visit a fiberglass RV rally somewhere and see what's out there. Find out if the older trailers tend to have enough allergens to bother you (they don't bother me but I'm probably not as sensitive- though I can guarantee obvious mildew or mold would bother me.). You might look at the Winter rally coming up in California but don't know how many rigs will be there.

A Campster would be a great choice for weight. Some of the Compacts are light enough, too. Do you have a place to store it indoors? (Garage?) Teardrops are nice but I really like being able to stand up inside the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Lil guy teardrop, meerkat, and T@B are all made by lil guy. New, these trailers sell for close to $10k and up. My father in law picked up a used T@B for about half that. Not fiberglass but nice trailer.

Teardrop Trailers & Mini Campers for Sale in California | Little Guy Trailers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggiegirl View Post
Hmmm. There are so many Tiny, tiny trailer options out in just the last few years though; there's a huge market. Oh well.... VW just came out with a new Westfalia, and it's called The California. And it would sell like mad - but they're Not releasing it in the US. So strange.
Veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:54 AM   #44

California
Bobbie for the win!!!! Tadaaaa!

2003 Subaru Forester -

Maximum total trailer weight = 2400lbs
Tongue Weight = 200lbs

At least that's what the manual says. I'll still run the VIN # to double check.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #45

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
There wasn't any recall or anything on the head gaskets so you just wait until you have a problem. My mechanic warned me about it late in 2011 but as I was planning on trading it in soon I was going to ignore it- and a few months later I had to get it fixed. But that's the model before yours so not sure there- just google it and see what forum people say.

For future reference- if you google "2003 Subaru Forester towing" Edmunds comes right up with towing capacity.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #46

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Do not exceed the Manfactures specifications that are listed in the owners manual.

When you do that you put yourself and others at risk. Should something bad happen and you cause harm to others and/or their property and it is determined you exceeded the specifications you then put your fortune at risk at losing it in the law suit.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #47

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Beware Edmonds. It does not always give accurate towing information (personal experience!). Your owner's manual is the best source of information. The VIN number is only helpful if you need to verify whether your vehicle was built with any required towing upgrades.

2400/200 sounds right, but since travel trailers generally require 10-12% of their total weight on the tongue to avoid a tendency to sway, you are effectively limited to a 1700-2000 pound travel trailer, not 2400 pounds. That's a maximum, so I would personally try to stay somewhat below that, especially since you will be towing in hilly country. Even better if it is a low-profile model like a Hunter Compact Jr. or Trailswest Campster (Hunter Compact I and II are different- wider and heavier).

A number of basic 13'ers fit the bill. Best wishes finding yours!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #48

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Beware Edmonds. It does not always give accurate towing information (personal experience!). Your owner's manual is the best source of information. The VIN number is only helpful if you need to verify whether your vehicle was built with any required towing upgrades.

2400/200 sounds right, but since travel trailers generally require 10-12% of their total weight on the tongue to avoid a tendency to sway, you are effectively limited to a 1700-2000 pound travel trailer, not 2400 pounds. That's a maximum, so I would personally try to stay somewhat below that, especially since you will be towing in hilly country. Even better if it is a low-profile model like a Hunter Compact Jr. or Trailswest Campster (Hunter Compact I and II are different- wider and heavier).

A number of basic 13'ers fit the bill. Best wishes finding yours!
Subaru's manual says something like 8-11 (or 12)% for tongue weight, but I agree, 10% is better for towing a trailer (having done it too light at times.)

Edmonds has been right for the Subarus where there is only one rating per year. What I've found on some other vehicles is that frequently they list one when there are other ratings depending on configuration so you have to dig to find out what you want.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #49

Arizona
Registry
The tongue weight ranges given by manufacturers allow for different trailer types. Because of their geometry, boat trailers are towed with 7-10% tongue weight. Most sources recommend 10-15% for travel trailers.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #50

Registry
I calculated it and the reason Subaru says 8 at the lower end is the 2400 rating. 200/2400 is 8.3%. I've always aimed for 10% or slightly higher (boat and trailer). I do think the trailer would be less stable if you went to 2400 lbs (unless your trailer, like some of the teardrops, has the wheels set way back.

The other thing to keep in mind for the OP (in California) is that with or without brakes the rating is 1000 lbs for sustained uphill driving in hot weather (in other words, you are going to overheat if you try to tow that 2000 lbs uphill when it's 100 degrees outside, and it better be 100 inside, too, or your AC is going to add to the strain). But she isn't likely to want to do that, anyway, who wants to camp if it is that hot? I did detour to 101 on my last trip north with the trailer as it was going to be over 100 in Redding and I didn't want to do that with a full trailer. That was before I knew Subaru specifically cautioned against it.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #51

California
Re: Not going over the tow limit and putting other people at risk - I'm not sure why you would do that. Nowhere at all have I said anything about going over the limit, or even going Up to the limit - so not sure where that's coming from. I would Never do that. Maybe you're just randomly saying that - but if it's pointed at me in particular you are mistaken re: who I am and why I'm here.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #52

California
Ugh. Can someone tell me how I can respond to individual messages, so I'm not just giving a list of replies in a row? I'm so used to Facebook I'm probably just not seeing something obvious. Sorry. To Jon, yes, I agree. Especially as a newbie who doesn't understand 'how things work' as far as putting weight in different places, I agree that I want to be as low as possible. I'm even looking at the Burro; I would prefer it actually. I like that no one else can stay in it. Haha. Thank you for your help!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #53

California
That's really good to know. I wouldn't even have thought of that. Yeah, I'm not fond of 100 degree weather, but hey, if it Is 100 degree I may as well be by Lake Tahoe. In a tent I guess. I should look in the 'feeding and caring for' section. Hopefully there are more tips like this. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #54

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Ugh. Can someone tell me how I can respond to individual messages, so I'm not just giving a list of replies in a row? Thank you for your help!
You might try hitting the quote button on the message you want to respond to. You can edit the quote if you are only responding to a particular comment, just leave the quote markers at the beginning and end.

You're welcome.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:21 AM   #55

California
But then the title goes away.

I tried that - but as the title said....the title goes away. Which is just...strange to have to go back to get the title and paste it in. But it could be the way it's set up

Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
You might try hitting the quote button on the message you want to respond to. You can edit the quote if you are only responding to a particular comment, just leave the quote markers at the beginning and end.

You're welcome.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #56

Arizona
Registry
New- Subaru Forester-What Can it Pull?

I wouldn't worry about the title. It's only important for the first post because it sets the topic for the thread. The FGRV app doesn't display individual post titles, so app users (like me most of the time) won't see your title anyway. Drives me crazy when people put the main point in the title and the rest of the post doesn't even make sense without it.

Including the quote is more helpful than a title, especially when the response is separated by several unrelated posts, but we can usually figure it out. If you multi-quote, you can insert the response under each quote, as in quote-response-quote-response..., which makes it easy to follow.

Don't worry too much in any case. People here are very helpful!
Old 12-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #57

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
... I'm even looking at the Burro; I would prefer it actually. I like that no one else can stay in it. Haha. Thank you for your help!
Burros, at least the smallest 13'era, are a good option for you. They have pretty much the same layout as a Scamp, though- they can sleep up to 4 depending on configuration. They may be a little lighter, but beware of the 880 pound Burro in the "Trailer Weights" database- pretty sure that's a gutted, empty shell. I'd expect one to weigh 1300-1500 pounds loaded for camping.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #58

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
As for head gaskets, way back when I worked at a Subaru dealership the simple "recall" was some gunk in a bottle we put in the cooling system. The main issue most people run into is because of where Subaru put the sensor for the temperature gauge. It is in a high point that commonly will get an air pocket and as result engine will get hot/overheat but temperature gauge won't move to warn you. First warning most people get is car running poorly after the damage is done.

So, keep an eye out (or rather a good shop/mechanic) for coolant stain around head gaskets that warn of needed replacement. Also be extra fastidious on keeping cooling system full and coolant is good shape.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #59

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
Seattle Subaru Repair has a good page on the years and symptoms for Subaru headgasket problems. I replaced the headgaskets in our first-gen 2.5 liter Forester at about 175k; that was almost 100k miles ago. We towed a basic Scamp 13 successfully over many years and I wouldn't tow any more than that with a Subaru. I did put in a big transmission cooler, first thing. I wish they still made a 2.5 liter with a traditional automatic/ not CVT.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #60

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We have a Forester
2011, 4 cylinder, automatic
We tow a Compact II, which we try to keep as lightly loaded as possible.
We made one trip from California to Denver.
We ended up going 15 mph on the long uphill grades.
It was terrifying being on the freeway and going so slow ( not to mention it is illegal in some states).
Doing secondary roads would have been much better had we known the situation we would put ourselves in.
Our solution?
We now tow with our 4 cylinder Tacoma.

Others may be happy towing with the Forester but we were not.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote