New to Campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 2011 EggCamper
Ohio
Registry
New to Campers

My wife and I just picked up a new EggCamper about a week ago. We live in the Toledo, Oh area and travel quite a bit -- one kid lives in Baltimore, Md and the one in Olympia, Wa. Normally we travel by either motorcycle (I have a 2001 HD ElectraGlide with 121,000 mi on it) or by convertible (currently a '09 Mustang GT). The problem is 2 large dogs are not well accommodated by those modes of transportation. We upgraded our 4 cyl RAV4 to a '11 RAV4 with a V6 and the tow package (somewhat of a misnomer by Toyota). We've never had a camper before and are looking forward to the experience. I've been using this site for a bit trying to figure out, generally, what is needed and what to expect -- lots of good information, thanks!

Ray
RaymondC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Congratulations on your Eggcamper! I've been to their place of birth, they are nice. I have the same V6 in my Highlander; you will enjoy the combo. I would recommend keeping it out of the top (overdrive) gear while towing, and on steep grades you can downshift further if losing speed... this will all help keep the transmission from getting too hot. I've towed trailers with my Highlander over 85,000 miles and it's done well, but I don't push it hard.

When you get loaded up, you should weigh your tongue to make sure you're under 350 lbs. Some bathroom scales (dial type) will go that high. It's easy to get the front loaded too heavy, with the battery and water and such... are you going to have a generator on the tongue too?

Enjoy!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ray and wife! We're glad you're finding info here of value Lots of good information and members too
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome, and I'm glad to see another Toyota owner.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita Spirit Delux
Virginia
Registry
Welcome...we are also new so can't give a lot of advice. We will learn together. TomB
TomB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Welcome Raymond. I hope you will try to go to the Ohio get together later this month. We would all love to see an EggCamper. We have never had one of those at our rally. We have a lot Casita campers come, with a few other ones thrown in. Terry R.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Raymond! Congrats on your new Eggcamper! Welcome to FiberglassRV.com!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I traded in my Harley and my Mustang GT both and got a Ram 1500 Hemi- with 400+ hp I still feel the mustang and with duals it's almost as loud as my Harley. But it is great in pulling my EggCamper. I'm a displaced Baltimoron retired in York, Pa where the Harley factory is located. Stop up here for the tour next time you come East and WELCOME.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #9

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Welcome Ray! We've had our EggCamper for a few years and really love it. I tow with a 2011 Sienna XLE, likewise, supposedly with a tow package. The package consists of an engine oil cooler, no hitch, and no transmission cooler. What a surprise when I added an aftermarket transmission cooler. The transmission is a sealed unit (no dip stick and no fill tube), so I had to return to the dealer to have the fluid topped up after the cooler install ($99 for about a pint of fluid).

Aside from that, I love the Sienna and it does well towing the EggCamper. Good luck with yours.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #10

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
You'll love it. We love ours. I'd suggest that you NOT carry a generator on the tongue. I did and I regret it. I had a propane tank over it. The generator got covered in dust and the tank cover rubbed and scuffed it a lot. It's a new generator and now looks years old. It'll be in the truck from now on.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Have a great time with your new Egg! Post pictures when you have a chance so we can see how you've made the trailer your own. Let us know about your successes and mistakes, too. We're all here to learn and help each other.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #12

Ohio
Registry
Thanks for all the replies! Wife = Kathy -- sorry about that (36 yrs yesterday -- 9/12/75). I will keep the Harley(s), in fact will probably be getting a new one in the spring (although the new Victory Cross-Country is a very attractive unit, and has a 5 year warranty.) Ditto for the Mustang -- simply have to have a convertible for the "iffy" days/trips when the weather can make taking a motorcycle really entertaining. We've been to the York plant for the tour -- it was the first trip on '01 FLHT. I've bought a Yamaha 2000 and tonight am going to pick up a tongue box from Tractor Supply. The generator and battery will fit nicely in it and will, with the addition of a swing-away tongue jack, will allow the rear door on the RAV to open far enough to get the dogs in and out. The box a TrailerStar (TS# 1090781) and weighs 21lbs. A few well placed vents should prevent any hydrogen gas buildup from the battery and maybe down the road a bit we can get the generator to run inside it without melting stuff
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #13

Ohio
Registry
FYI -- Stuff did not fit in the TrailerStar. Maybe I should learn to measure a little better?