New to fiberglass and seeking out a scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
New to fiberglass and seeking out a scamp 13

Hello everyone, i've been an car camper, hiker, backpacker for a while now, it must be the whole Eagle Scout influence from when I was younger. My wife and I are expecting our first baby at the end of September and i am thinking a small travel trailer like the Scamp 13 will make things easier to deal with then tent camping. We upgraded our tv to a small suv with 2,000 lb towing capacity and I will soon work on building a fence and parking pad next to my garage to have a place to store the Scamp. I am in Chicago, so yard space is at a premium, but after measuring many times i'm confident the scamp will fit. I have enjoyed reading everything I can about fiberglass rv's, mostly scamp both here and at the Scamp owners international forum and hope to be able to see a Scamp in the Chicago area soon. I am busy with remodeling in preparation for the baby so i will most likely have to wait until this coming spring/summer to actually purchase a scamp, but it looks like its tough to find one so that may just work out.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New to fiberglass and seeking out a scamp 13

Welcome, Dave! You'll love it! My only regret is waiting until our kids were 6 and 9 to start camping. Missed some prime time!

Best wishes finding your Scamp. Late summer and fall can be a good time to start your search. Not as many for sale, but your chances of snagging a good deal are better. We found ours in late October only 30 miles away.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #3

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Dave! You'll love it! My only regret is waiting until our kids were 6 and 9 to start camping. Missed some prime time!

Best wishes finding your Scamp. Late summer and fall can be a good time to start your search. Not as many for sale, but your chances of snagging a good deal are better. We found ours in late October only 30 miles away.
Thank you for the advice Jon, i have a pretty specific set of requirements and cost that I have in mind and actually i should be done with my fence and parking pad early to mid summer of next year so it will be a good time to start looking for the camper. As a bonus it will help me extend my camping season. I have so many ideas in mind for the camper already, I've been soaking up the forums like a sponge.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
2013 Scamp13.

I may!! be selling my 2015 Scamp next year . I have a Kwik Kamp also , which I will be keeping . Since you are not in a hurry , and I live in Galena , you may be interested in looking at it . It is stored in a garage.
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
I may!! be selling my 2015 Scamp next year . I have a Kwik Kamp also , which I will be keeping . Since you are not in a hurry , and I live in Galena , you may be interested in looking at it . It is stored in a garage.
Jim, thanks for letting me know. I may just take you up on that, or just stop by one day to see the scamp if that would be ok. Is it a front bath or front bunk? Shoot me an email gompkaa @ gmail.com
Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #6

Name: Naomi
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
Chitowner Looking As Well

Hi Dave — Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I too have measured and remeasured the space between the garages. I think a Scamp will just barely fit, at least at my house on the NW side. If you beat me on getting your Scamp and consider renting it out on someplace like Outdoorsy, let me know!

And Jim, I'll be in the market for a 13 footer come next summer, with any luck. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the posting.
Chitown Naomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

IL
So it has been a few months and I have read so much about scamps my head wants to explode. I am pretty confident i the scamp 13 with front bunks is the way to go. I am buying the necessary towing equipment and verified by suv does in fact have a towing package and will be able to tow a scamp 13. Just waiting for the right deal to come around, i'm hoping i can have something purchased by the spring for the camping season. This forum is great, I can't wait to be a bonafide member of the scamp cult.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:20 AM   #9

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

You were right, assimilation complete.

Tags
scamp