new to forum, new project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: jan
Trailer: 1972 Boler
New York
Talking new to forum, new project

Hello all!

Several years ago we owned a 1975 Scamp, 13 foot, that we bought for $100 and totally renovated. We kept it for years and had a great time with it, but when our grandchild was born and she and her mother started camping with us, the Scamp just wasn't big enough, so we sold it and went to a bigger camper. It was fine while it lasted, but now they can't travel with us anymore (school happens), and so we decided to go back to a little egg. We found a 1972 Boler that was being used as a fishing shanty. Technically, I think all we bought was the fiberglass (and a lot of work for ourselves). They really butchered it (cut two holes in the floor for fishing, and just destroyed everything), so we're just getting ready to gut it and customize. We plan to make the dinette into a permanent bed, and then create a mini-dinette in the front where the bunks are. We're going to remove the stove and extend the counter to the front of the camper, and add a microwave. No furnace, and we're not going to replace it. (We have little electric and propane heaters we can use if needed. We only used the heater in the Scamp once in the whole time we had it). We're debating whether to do a dorm fridge or a thermoelectric cooler--we're trying to keep our costs down and don't bring a lot that needs to be kept cold. Obviously, this all lets us do away with propane, so we're creating storage on the front tongue in place of the tanks. I'm thinking I'll try to salvage the ensolite by using stuff from hidden places to patch where needed. Most of it's coming down, but I think between what's left and silicone caulking I can make it useable (I did in the Scamp, although it wasn't this bad). We'll see. If anyone has ideas for other materials that could be used in place of the ensolite if I have to remove it, I'm open to ideas.
I look forward to investigating some of the renovations you've done, and I'll be sure to take pics to share with you. It's great to be back in eggland again!
janony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Welcome Jan.. Good luck on your new project - you will find gobs of truly incredible reno's on this site. Have fun!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Jan! Nice to meet you. There's lots of kind, knowledgable people here. Best of luck on your resto
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Sounds like a great project! We love to see pictures.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Name: jan
Trailer: 1972 Boler
New York
Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Thanks for all your welcome wishes! I will definitely post pics. I've spent the last hour looking at the reno threads, especially Karl's thread--it appears he has already done similar reno's to what we want to do, so I've already found some valuable resources.--Thanks to everyone!

J
janony is offline   Reply With Quote