new to forum ! which trailer ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Big Foot
Alberta
new to forum ! which trailer ?

I'm in the process of tenting and finding a fibreglass light weight trailer to pitch the tent !
I've seen the Ventura, boler and Tripple E.
In person I had only seen the Tripple E inside and out.
Very impressed..
I live in Western Canada ( Alberta ) and wondering what we have available here.
I'm coming from a tent so trailers are completely new to me !
My goal is to find something affordable under 2000 lbs for towing. As for condition it is really open as I can weld and everything else would be fun !

Wondering your opinions of which trailers I should look at in terms of durability, functionality and maintenance, things to look out for like the doorframe as I have been reading.

Your comments appreciated !
... and if you want to post pics of your favorites please do !
Alberta Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, John!

Under 2000 pounds means you are looking for a 13' molded fiberglass trailer. Of course there are other lightweight options (including tent trailers), but this particular forum is dedicated to the egg-type trailers.

On your side of the border, the two most common seem to be Bolers and Trilliums. Member Ian G. has written a very helpful guide to common issues with vintage Bolers, which you can download here: Boler Buyer's Guide. There have been several good posts by member David Tilston about common Trillium issues. He owns… ahem… several… Here's one thread, not the most thorough, but you might PM David for more information: Scamp or Trillium

There are numerous others. Most had limited production runs. You can check out the "Manufacturers" tab at the top for links to photos and posts about many of them. Even that list is not complete. Most of the smaller trailers are similar in quality, and after 30 years or more, previous owner maintenance matters more than initial build quality. You can download a generic inspection guide for used molded fiberglass trailers here: Buyer's Checklist

How many people are you looking to sleep? Some have two sleeping areas, typically a convertible dinette at the back, a street side galley, and a sofa at the front. Often the sofa was designed to convert to bunks, but with an older trailer, it's a toss-up whether the upper bunk is still in place and functional. Others have one (usually larger) dinette/bed at the back with the galley in front. Not as common, but it's a nice set-up for two. There are others, but those are the two most common.

As to finding your very own, follow the Canadian listings at fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and Kijii regularly and see what comes up.

Best wishes on your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Review your needs carefully to determine what you really need.

Realistically, if you are looking for a used trailer, you are better to have several types and layouts in mind as you search. Then when any of them on your list pops up, call, make and appointment to see the trailer, inspect it and hopefully buy it. The market is pretty hot and they sell pretty quick.

If the trailer is in good shape, and it turns out you don't like it, keep looking. When you find the replacement, the old one generally sells pretty quick and you should be able to recoup your investment. Some have actually made money.

The used trailer inspection guide in the Documents Center, under the 'More' tab at the top of the page, will be a good resource when you find one you think you want. In the meantime, a review of the list will give you a better idea of what you are getting into.

One important caveat: Owning any travel trailer, particularly one with some age on it, is like owning a boat. The initial cost is only part of the equation. You now have the cost and time of maintaining it.

Good luck in your search, and welcome to the adventure.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #4

Alberta
Definately looking for an egg ! just the wife and I, the option of a guest is remote.
Thanks for the info !
Old 07-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Mac View Post
Definately looking for an egg ! just the wife and I, the option of a guest is remote...
If you can find one in good condition, you might keep your eye out for a Trillium 4500. Same rear dinette, front sofa layout as the 13'ers, but 2' longer and a little heavier. Best thing is the dinette/bed is wider without giving up the separate sitting area (or extra sleeping spot) in front. It will likely weigh right around 2000 pounds loaded.

Here's a nice one from the archives: '78 Trillium 4500
Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

Alberta
Update : One came up and I ran out the next day to go see it 3 hours away !
I ended up getting a Big Foot 16ft. picture enclosed. It was quite a journey and event but all ended up good in the end. The owner was a decent gent and was happy to hear that my wife and I would be owning this for a long time while doing upgrades and maintenance.
I took the wifes Landcruiser to pick it up and experienced some sway on the wayt up, thinking it was the shocks turned out to be much more and resulted in a new suspension, shocks and steering components ! Now it should be good for another 25years !!!
The trailer seems to be in good condition and equiped with sectional couch, toilet closet stove and oven, fridge and dining table into bed. It also has an awning ! wow ! really looking forward to it and also meeting others on this new journey !
Since this is day 2 of owner ship the fun has just begun !
It was a surprise to the wife even though she knew I was picking it up ! She is real happy with the concept of camping indoors and no tents.
Just wondering now what the others have done with upgrades on their BigFoot.
I'll be calling it the Chicken Foot as it is small.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3194.jpg  
Old 07-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Congratulations. You got one of the high-end eggs. Hope all goes well and you enjoy the heck out of it.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Nice trailer, but It's not a 16. It's a 17 Gaucho model. From the photo, it looks like the original axle with a 4"drop has been replaced with a straight axle which is a nice improvement. The photo also appears to show the trailer might be high at the tongue. The tongue should be in a level or slightly down position when towing. If you have 14 inch wheels, upgrading to 15 would be nice.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Mac View Post
...Just wondering now what the others have done with upgrades on their BigFoot.
I'll be calling it the Chicken Foot as it is small.
Congratulations!

Compared to the "under 2000 pound" goal you originally posted, I'd hardly call a B17G small. Compared to yours, mine might be called "Chicken Food"!

My favorite Bigfoot modification is this one: Gaucho Bed Mod