new to here - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #41

Name: Jan
Trailer: in the market
Georgia
I think I liked the inside of the RPod because I've been in one.

Your comments about the Casita and holding it's value are dead on. I've been scouring the used ads and they don't go down much. I haven't thought of the 17' Casita. I love the looks of the 16 Freedom Deluxe. Does that extra foot really make a difference?
Jannie442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #42

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie442 View Post
I think I liked the inside of the RPod because I've been in one.

Your comments about the Casita and holding it's value are dead on. I've been scouring the used ads and they don't go down much. I haven't thought of the 17' Casita. I love the looks of the 16 Freedom Deluxe. Does that extra foot really make a difference?
It's not just longer, it's also taller,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #43

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It's not just longer, it's also taller,
I'll look at that too but I don't want to price myself out of the market. I've paid cash for my last 3 cars and now I have a truck payment. I could have been worse if I didn't have a pristine SUV to trade in.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #44

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Jannie442, maybe I missed it in this thread so I'll ask, what price range are you thinking of? Escape Trailer Industries has 3 15'ers for sale, 1 with a bath, and with the exchange rate right now you'd be looking at about $16,000 USD.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #45
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
I've paid cash for my last 3 cars and now I have a truck payment. I could have been worse if I didn't have a pristine SUV to trade in.
Oh boy...... sorry to here that.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
I'll look at that too but I don't want to price myself out of the market.

With your new tow vehicle, you have a lot of options. As far as the R-pod versus anything fiberglass, that's a call you're going to have to make for yourself. It's apples and oranges, really. A conventionally-built trailer will almost always give you more space and features for the money. A fiberglass trailer will give you less maintenance, long life, and much better resale value.

For that last reason, money-wise, the least-risky course would be a used fiberglass trailer. I would look for something 3-5 years old, since most depreciation occurs in the first few years. After that, price has more to do with condition than age. Buy a used FG trailer, take care of it, and you stand to get most of your money back if it doesn't work out for you. Mine is actually worth more now than when I bought it 2.5 years ago. It was 4 years old when I bought it.

I brought up 17' Casitas because they are fairly plentiful on the used market; 16' Casitas, not so much, especially newer ones. You might also want to consider 16' Scamps. They are fairly similar to Casitas. If you could find a Scamp 16' Deluxe, you would gain many of the advantages of the Casita 17' (headroom, larger bed) in a smaller, lighter trailer, along with traditional wood cabinetry. Here's one that was recently sold: http://fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-s...0-st-george-ut. (At that price, I wondered if it was a scam… and I don't believe their weight claim, either. But the Scamp 16' Deluxe is a nice alternative to the units you are considering.)

To look at your choices in conventionally-built trailers you just need to visit a dealer, as you know. But to sort out your choices in fiberglass, you may want to plan a visit to a rally. Many schedule a time for "open house" tours.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #47

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
Jannie442, maybe I missed it in this thread so I'll ask, what price range are you thinking of? Escape Trailer Industries has 3 15'ers for sale, 1 with a bath, and with the exchange rate right now you'd be looking at about $16,000 USD.

Based on her current choices, it seems like she wants a separate dinette and a bathroom. I believe the 15' Escape gives you one or the other, but not both. That may be one of the reasons it's being discontinued.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #48

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes a few differences between 16 and 17
Taller - imp if you are tall
Bigger fridge
Bigger bed
Screen door
Probably others can't think of them right now, 17's are heavier partic the tongue.
As Jon said 17's are more popular so more come up used and usually not much difference in price.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 PM   #49

Georgia
There is a 17' 2013 Casita I'm interested in. The guy will go to 16000. Is that a good deal?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #50

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I would look at what a new one is with the options it has and any extras.
Also what others have been listed for on
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Also how close it is to you, condition etc. That will give you a better idea as to what it is worth to you. How frequently they come up in your area is also a factor.
It is hard to comment without that info as trailers can really vary.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote