New to me beachcomber - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: Andrea
Trailer: Beachcomber
New Brunswick
New to me beachcomber

Hi all,

My name is Andrea Belczewski, I live in New Brunswick, Canada and am the new (proud) owner of a 1976 TM 15. Though it is need of some upgrading, we are able to use it and after having caulked around the windows and vents, we camped in it a week and it stayed dry through a monstrous thunderstorm. We sewed all new cushions/mattresses and curtains but we wanted to live with it for awhile before deciding upon next steps.

One of the first things we noticed is that it seems to push a lot of wind when towing and our gas mileage is noticeably impacted. Do you know of ways to make this unit more fuel efficient? We tow with a Ford Flex.

I have browsed around this forum and am excited to read your stories. We are thrilled with our recent purchase and feel that this little gem is going to suit our family's camping needs extraordinarily.
Abelczew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

New Brunswick
Photos

I don't know where my photos disappeared to so I'm trying to post them again.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

New Brunswick
Well... Sorry that the photos are upside down. Will try again later to fix this.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

New Brunswick
Another photo

Second photo attempt
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

New Brunswick
Sigh.., one more attempt
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #6

New Brunswick
Another photo try
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

New Brunswick
Sorry... I keep trying different ways to turn this one around, to no avail.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #8

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
looks good

just stand on your head lol nice
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
Gas mileage

Anyone pulling a trailer or drives a truck (any car really) should replace their air filter with. K&N washable filter. It adds a little more torque and horsepower while giving you better mileage. My suburban gained 4 mpg while my 350 Z gained 1 1/2pg
David CRAFTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 03:50 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New to me beachcomber

Little mechanical tweaks may help (or sometimes just a fresh tune-up), but the bottom line is that you're up against physics. It takes a certain amount of energy to make an object of a certain size, shape and mass move through the air at a certain speed. Air resistance is the biggest energy consumer at highway speeds and increases in proportion to the square of speed, so the tweak that makes the most difference is reducing speed.

Interesting thing is that two different vehicles that get very different gas mileage when not towing often get about the same under tow (assuming the same trailer and towing conditions). The smaller, more economical vehicle simply has to work harder.

My Pilot gets 23-26 mpg (US) on the highway when not towing, and 17-19 towing our 13' Scamp. It can drop down to 10-12 against a headwind. We got 27 recently on a trip to Monument Valley with a strong tailwind. We tow at around 60 mph in level, windless conditions on rural interstates. Your Flex is similar in size, shape, and engine displacement. Your trailer is a bit longer and boxier. How does your experience compare?

This thread has some data you may find useful for comparison: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nfo-68330.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I your towing on any condition except flat highway you might try driving the Flex locked out of overdrive and see how it impacts your mileage.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:20 PM   #12

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My Pilot gets 23-26 mpg (US) on the highway when not towing, and 17-19 towing our 13' Scamp. It can drop down to 10-12 against a headwind. We got 27 recently on a trip to Monument Valley with a strong tailwind.
We were once riding (BMW R1100 RT) south on a coastal road below Shelter Cove (CA). Traveling at about 60 MPH, there was NO headwind at all, and no wind noise whatsoever.

The tail wind was approximately, at that time, 60 MPH.

I assume our MPG was pretty excellent for that portion of the trip.

LP
Old 08-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
We were once riding (BMW R1100 RT) south on a coastal road below Shelter Cove (CA). Traveling at about 60 MPH, there was NO headwind at all, and no wind noise whatsoever.

The tail wind was approximately, at that time, 60 MPH.

I assume our MPG was pretty excellent for that portion of the trip.

LP
Hope you came home by a different route! Unfortunately, we had to come home by the same route and with the same wind, now headwinds. We could only make 45-50 mph and got 10-12 mpg, and it wasn't fun!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:53 AM   #14

New Brunswick
Thank you all for your feedback... being Canadian, I always have to convert mpg to L per 100 km :-) When all is said and done, I think the comment about physics pretty much sums it up.

For this year, we aren't going to take our beachcomber on long treks. We need to shore up a couple leaks (though I think we are finally winning the battle on this front!) and replace the floor before we venture too far from home.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:43 PM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber
Hilton Beach
Beachcomber Rock Guard

Hi,
I noticed from your pics that your beachcomber has a rock guard cover over the front window. I would be so grateful if you could provide me with pics of the rock guard, how it is fastened and view of it opened if possible,
The Cac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber