New to the Forum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

Name: Martha
Trailer: In the market
California
New to the Forum

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum and have been reading everything, everywhere I can get my hands on. Since I am interested in four season camping, somewhat off the grid, mostly in Nevada high desert, I am pondering the differences between a Bigfoot 25B175x and an Escape 19 or 21. My SUV can tow an Escape 21 but not the Bigfoot 25B21x as it is too heavy. I can order direct from Escape, and while there is a Bigfoot dealer here in Northern California, I am not sure how great their quote is.

If you have any stories, recommendations, etc. I would really appreciate them. I also looked at the Oliver, but the interior, while quite slick, reminds me of a high class yacht and does not fit with the rural environments where I will be, nor is it my style. I prefer wood like is found in the Escape and Bigfoot. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

/martha
zimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Martha!

As you are considering weights of different trailers, you might want to check out the sticky thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html in the General Chat section, if you haven't already.

My understanding is that 2500-series Bigfoot trailers are geared toward 4-season use but are significantly heavier for their size than Escapes. Beds on the 17.5s are pretty narrow. Others will know more. We have a Scamp and are definitely fair-weather campers. Nice thing about AZ is that there are temperate camping spots within a half-day's drive any month of the year.

Whatever you decide, fiberglass is a great choice!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi and welcome to the site:

Why don't you post what your tow vehicle (TV) is and also what kind of budget you will be working with.

I don't know what price you were quoted, but most of the (few) BigFoot dealers on the west coast seem to be quoting about 20%+ off list prices. If that's CDN List price, that's a wash right now, but I don't know if that is the case or not.

That said, the new BigFoots are both expensive and heavy.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 AM   #4

Name: Martha
Trailer: In the market
California
Re: New to the Forum

Thanks for the welcome!

My tow vehicle is a 2006 Lexus GX470, also known as the dogs' SUV, as I use it primarily for traveling with my three large sporting dogs. Max towing capacity is 6.5K lbs.

Yes, the BigFoot dealer in Northern California quoted a price that appears to be about 20% off of list. With the additional options that I want, I am looking at about $10K+ USD more than the Escape 21 for the BigFoot 25K175x.

Used would be fine, and actually preferable, but I have read the trials and tribulations of buying in Canada and transporting to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hi and welcome to the site:

Why don't you post what your tow vehicle (TV) is and also what kind of budget you will be working with.

I don't know what price you were quoted, but most of the (few) BigFoot dealers on the west coast seem to be quoting about 20%+ off list prices. If that's CDN List price, that's a wash right now, but I don't know if that is the case or not.

That said, the new BigFoots are both expensive and heavy.....
zimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:46 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Importing post-BK Bigfoot Trailers in Canada shouldn't be a problem as the company can provide the DOT documentation you need.

Are you following the Canadian listings on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com ?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
One factor is time. You can probably get a new Bigfoot quickly, but new Escapes can take months to be built. Not sure how much of a hurry you might be in. And used Escapes are almost as rare as hen's teeth.

The Escape will tow more easily and will result in better fuel economy. Both are nice trailers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you here
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina