New to travel trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Looking
Oregon
New to travel trailers

Hi all,
I am Joe from Corvallis, Oregon and starting our research into travel trailers. I have enjoyed reading/lurking in the forum and am impressed with the knowledge that is shared.

We previously owned a Class C RV and loved it, but sold it when our kids grew up and we no longer used it much. As gas prices rose, the 6 mpg was another reason to sell it. But we miss the fun of RVing and with my retirement pending in the next year, we're looking at our alternatives for more economical road tripping.

My wife has a 2011 Highlander that we would use as our tug (it has the tow package, so we have a 5000 lb limit). I am currently leaning towards a 16-17 ft. Casita or Scamp.

I love to ski, so something that would be reasonable in the snow and cold weather would be a must. Having a toilet/shower is also a necessity. I think the models that have the king size bed in the back and a side dinette look like they would fit our needs best.

I am not sure that buying used would be OK with my wife unless the unit was immaculate. It also appears that late model used trailers are almost as expensive as new.

Bye for now,
Joe
Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Joe, welcome to FiberglassRV from another Oregonian! You're at the right place to ask questions and receive well thought out answers. If you're not in a REAL RUSH, I'd strongly suggest you come up to Champoeg State Park and check out a number of different brands/models. It's amazing what you can determine when you see these things with your own eyes. Click this link for more info: Northern Oregon Gathering - Fall Event October 7-9, 2011 - Champoeg State Park

Again, welcome!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Welcome Joe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde View Post
I am currently leaning towards a 16-17 ft. Casita or Scamp.

I love to ski, so something that would be reasonable in the snow and cold weather would be a must. Having a toilet/shower is also a necessity. I think the models that have the king size bed in the back and a side dinette look like they would fit our needs best.
There was only ONE trailer that had BOTH a King size Bed in the back AND a side dinette. It's not being manufactured at this time.
22' Oliver Legacy Elite Looks like it also had the insulation you desire.

olivertraveltrailers.com - Home of the Oliver Legacy has stopped all trailer production.

Both Scamp or Casita have Side Dinette models but the Bed in back is not King size.

Casita has a King size Bed model that doesn't have a Side Dinette too.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #4

Oregon
Thanks for the welcome, Donna.

And thanks for setting me straight on the size of the bed available in the Casita/Scamp models, Frederick. I think we may need to "try one on for size" to see if the size of the beds available could work for us...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome, I had an Army buddy from Corvallis.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #6

The Escape 19' has a queen size bed, dual-pane windows and extra insulation as options and a front dinette that's convertible to a bed. We currently have two Escape 19' coming to the Fall NOG.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I would advise caution regarding Casita 17 footers for the Highlander, as the tongue weight (once you add LP, water, and cargo) could exceed the 500 lb. limit for your vehicle. Unless you want one without the front bath, of course, as the bathroom in the deluxe adds quite a bit of weight there. 16s should be fine. And it looks like the Escape 19 should be fine, too. I have a 2008 Highlander BTW, aren't they great?

Glad to have you on the forum!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM   #8

Oregon
I will defintiely look into the Escapes. I hadn't been aware of them, so I appreciate the advice.

I have been looking at the trailer weight data that was posted by Frederick and I now share the concern you raised, Mike. I do love the Highlander (when my wife let's me drive it). She had a 4Runner before and the Highlander seems so luxurious in comparison.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I would advise caution regarding Casita 17 footers for the Highlander, as the tongue weight (once you add LP, water, and cargo) could exceed the 500 lb. limit for your vehicle. Unless you want one without the front bath, of course, as the bathroom in the deluxe adds quite a bit of weight there. 16s should be fine. And it looks like the Escape 19 should be fine, too. I have a 2008 Highlander BTW, aren't they great?

Glad to have you on the forum!
We have the Casita 17' FD and have no problem with tongue weight. Ours is 330# per Frederick at the Bandon weigh-in. This was with typical load - partial tank of water, propane about half full, and bikes on the back bumper. This and the total weight of 3120# was well within the tow capacity of our Honda Ridgeline (also 5000). We use neither a weight distribution hitch or stabilizers, Never have felt the need.

BTW we really like the Escape 19. It is worth looking at. Good luck on your search.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If you're not in a REAL RUSH, I'd strongly suggest you come up to Champoeg State Park and check out a number of different brands/models.
Northern Oregon Gathering - Fall Event October 7-9, 2011 - Champoeg State Park
Judging by the sign-up list at the thread linked to above, it looks like there will be at least one example of every kind of Fiberglass Travel Trailer on display. (except the Oliver) Perfect way to see for yourself what each one is like!
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #11

Oregon
We're not in a big hurry, so the NOG event at Champoeg will be a great opportunity for us to see the variety of trailers. I'll make plans with my wife to drive up and spend a day at the gathering. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #12

Yea Joe... see you there! BTW Saturday would probably be best. Some folks leave fairly early on Sunday... but not all
Old 09-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Wink Sleeping arrangements

Welcome, Joe.

We found, that for two persons, no matter how large the aft bed, the person behind still has to crawl over the person in front, so that two beds is best. We keep the aft bed permanent and make/unmake the front dinette/bed as needed.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Welcome, Joe.

We found, that for two persons, no matter how large the aft bed, the person behind still has to crawl over the person in front, so that two beds is best. We keep the aft bed permanent and make/unmake the front dinette/bed as needed.
Although your point is generally accurate and we seldom use it, this negates the premise...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0090.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
And are there benefits to the 'crawl over'?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
trailer/bed size

Good question!
It's so easy to get twofootitis. We went small. You weigh all the advantages and disadvantages and at some point, with every trailer, you just have to make do with what you've got!
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Not at our age. (Speaking strictly for the two of us, YMMV)

Floyd, you may have to tell our new member a little more about how you created your lengthwise bed modification. Maybe a link to the earlier discussion will help a bit... http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-47790.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I second the suggestion of the Escape 19' or even the 17' which has a bath and a front table area. Escape offers the extra thermo options that would be perfect for winter camping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote