New-To-Us Trillium 1978 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #1

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Smile New-To-Us Trillium 1978

Hello,

I want to introduce myself to the forum - I am happy to find a supportive site as this. I hope not to ask questions that have already been answered, but to research first!!

We are interested in ideas to update our little gem - recover the seat cushions, paint the cabinet doors, etc., anything to make her clean, comfy and make our own.

I look forward to gleaning new ideas - if I take anything from here I will post kudos to the original idea owner!!

Janice & Rick
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #2

Name: bobby
Trailer: 1979 trillium 4500
California
Registry
Hey Janice & Rick,
We just bought a 1979 trillium 4500 4 days ago. We pulled up the carpet,removed all the curtains, pulled the fresh water tank for inspection, remounted the propane tanks,got the furnace going, fired up the fridge,washed her twice, & now starting the wax job with marine cleaner wax. Busy, Busy.
Bobby & Caroline.
bobby62g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks for dropping by, Bobby & Caroline! You have started renos already!!! We have our stored for the winter - mixed emotions - glad it's safe - sorry I can't go in and out. In the few days I had it before storing I took out the curtains (original and worn), curtain rods (rusty), removed the cushions (one has worn through, very (of course) dated), washed and washed the inside, removed the fridge door and have it inside for continuous washing in the folds around the door - the rusty coloured indoor/outoor carpet remains until I get out with my measurements to a carpet store - plan to put vinyl cushion floor in.

Do you have yours stored inside so you can work on it?

It is so exciting, isn't it !!!

Janice & Rick
Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

Nova Scotia
Registry
Also, would you please tell me what type of marine wax you are using?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Janice & Rick, and Bobby & Caroline.
Glad you have joined us. Lots and lots and lots of ideas scattered
from one end of this site to the other. Many other Trillium owners here
also.

Be sure to let us follow the adventure with pics....... ) (
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Name: bobby
Trailer: 1979 trillium 4500
California
Registry
Yes it is exciting. We live in northern California, 60 degrees today. It's parked in our driveway, and will live there while we restore it. We are using SeaPower cleaner and wax. Not sure how it will turn out.

Bobby
bobby62g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, you will find lots of good ideas here. Please post pics so we can see the before and after.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #8

Nova Scotia
Registry
Oh my - how nice! We live in Kingston, Nova Scotia - it's -5 right now. Look forward to your pictures!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

I feel like a Trailer Grandma...two New (first-generation) 4500 Babies in one thread!

I've had a '78 4500 since 2005, and that ol' girl has been put through the wringer. At least 50,000 hair-raising miles behind my '97 Kia Sportage- the very same vehicle I was assured "could not tow itself out of a paper bag".

Perfection itself right out of the factory, I hesitate to describe anything I've done to her as an "improvement". That said, I've made a few changes to suit myself and she's tolerated them reasonably well.

Thing is, she's starting to show her age/use/patterns of abuse. So I'll follow along here, hoping for ideas from you whippersnappers as you go about rejuvenating your new acquisitions...

Welcome, New Blood!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #10

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hi Janice and Rick, I am a relatively newcomer as well. I just got my 1975 1300 a couple of months ago (3rd owner and has been is storeage for 10 years). She is packed up for the winter now but so far installed new stove, fridge, replaced all gas lines, upgraded electrical, new interior molding strips and new 14" alloy wheels and tires. Currently have new cushion set on order from Outback / Trillium and new Allure plank flooring on order. Can't wait until spring!!!
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #11

Nova Scotia
Registry
So nice to see these messages!

Hello Francesca, Clayton and Kootenaigirl,

Once I learn to navigate these threads I will hopefully see pictures of your trailers - inside and out!

Clayton - you sound like you have a brand new on inside already! Ours is in storage and won't see it till May'ish - we had it a very short while before putting away - we were told the furnace does not work - not concerned about that at all - we need to put in a new floor - looking at cushion flooring - I'd like to get new covers for the bench (bunk) as the dinette will probably stay made up as a bed most of the time - not sure of cost of recovering - anyone have a ball park idea?

We've not used anything so it will all be a surprise come spring - may have some work on our hands!!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's ten pages of Trillium Renos

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...4.html%23post4

Plenty of winter reading.........lol
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It is good to have more Trilliums on the site. Welcome.
Janice & Rick, I would not worry about asking a question that has already been answered. We get that all the time. No one seems to mind. As to wax, so here use Zepp Wet Floor Finish:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
Before you write off the furnace, be aware that a good cleaning of the propane lines may be all that is required. Spiders like propane lines for some reason. If the gas valve is faulty, that can be more expensive, but it is fixable. The stock furnace does not put out a ton of heat, but it takes the chill off. It is practically silent, as there is no fan in it. To get more heat out of it, a fan blowing up from the bottom helps.

Bobby & Caroline, Since you have a 1979, I assume that you have the fibreglass for the the front dinette seats, even if you have a front gaucho arraignment. Lucky you! While I have a few Trilliums, a front dinette Trillium is what I would like for just my wife and I to travel with, after the kids no longer want to vacation with us.

Please take a look at this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post419436

There are almost 100 Trilliums, and their serial numbers on that list. Kinda gives you a feel for the history of the brand. Please feel free to post your trailers there as well.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks David

Thank you for your advice. I saw the list of serial numbers and will post ours there as well.

I noticed the Trilliums that were redone on the outside had nice clean windows around the exterior - mine looks like it is either really dirty or the product has weathered too much? It's been out in the rain and they do not leak. Would you take a look at my picture and tell me what you think?

I was also told that I could use Vim (a mild abrasive) to clean the outside then apply polish - again, your thoughts? My door is dirtier than the rest of the trailer and it needs to be reset as it is a little crooked.

Thanks for all the responses I am getting - nice to know there are helping hands out there!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #15

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thank you - those are great!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #16

Nova Scotia
Registry
Annnnnd . . . . I would love to paint the cabinet doors - the dark brown is just too dreary. What is the recommended procedure for that?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
Thank you for your advice. I saw the list of serial numbers and will post ours there as well.

I noticed the Trilliums that were redone on the outside had nice clean windows around the exterior - mine looks like it is either really dirty or the product has weathered too much? It's been out in the rain and they do not leak. Would you take a look at my picture and tell me what you think?

I was also told that I could use Vim (a mild abrasive) to clean the outside then apply polish - again, your thoughts? My door is dirtier than the rest of the trailer and it needs to be reset as it is a little crooked.

Thanks for all the responses I am getting - nice to know there are helping hands out there!
Sorry, I did not see a picture.
I would be reluctant to use anything that would remove the gel coat, so when cleaning the outside of the trailer, I use a 3M scrubby pad, Sunlight dish detergent and the elbow grease of one of my teenagers. Others use Barkeeps Friend, which I have not tried. I understand it is also an abrasive.

Re-installing the door was one of the easiest jobs I have done on a Trillium. I took off the door, with the hinges still attached to the door. I filled the holes, in the side of the trailer, that the screws were in, with fibreglass and resin. Using an Olfa knife, I cut the excess glass that was sticking out of the hole. I used packing tape, over the hole to make the resin smooth. After it set, but before it was hard, (about half an hour after mixing the resin) I took off the tape and scraped off the excess resin. Then I taped the door back on where it looked right. This took three tries before I was happy with how it looked. Then I used the hinges, which were still attached to the door, as a guide to drill new holes. I screwed new stainless steel screws in, using more fibreglass and resin. Then I did the same thing with the door side of the hinges. No new holes, just new screws, and some fibreglass and resin in the hole. I figure it is now good for another 30 years.

Instead of painting the cabinet doors, I plan to replace them with simple, solid wood of the same thickness. I will stain them with a light finish. I don't like the dark mac tac either.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #18

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks again, Dave :)

I will attempt a picture of the window once again - thought I had it there.

Thank you so much for the info on resetting the door! Rick will really appreciate that!

I like the idea of new doors as well - they are small and should be easy to make and replace.

If I figure out how to post more than one picture I will show you what we got!!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #19

Nova Scotia
Registry
Just uploaded a group of photos as an album - you can see there what we are working with!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #20

Alberta
Registry
I looked at your album. Nice Trillium! Seems to be in excellent shape.

A few observations. Sorry, I can't help doing this:
-It is not a 1978. In 1977 the line under the logo was removed. The door latch is a Bargman L-300. Changed to an L-400 in 1977. I would guess your trailer is a 1975, or 1976. Check the serial number list to confirm.
-The front window should be on the back. This is an escape hatch, and would be redundant less then 3 feet from the door. Not too hard to change, and not really necessary.
-There is something sticking out on your rear window. It looks like a handle?
-Outside light is not original.
-Brackets on the rear part of the belly band. Not sure what they are for.
-Brake lights are original.
-Rear jacks work, (kinda rare).
-Has optional door window.
-Has optional shelves front and back.
-PO has added an anti-sway ball on the the tongue.

Tags
trillium