New Vancouver Island member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
New Vancouver Island member

Hi all. Just started reno on our recently acquired 72 Boler. We had to drive almost clear across the province (Penticton) to buy it. I took off the old 2003 licence plate and put my new one on! Fourteen years parked, outside! It still had the probably original Firestone Super Sport tires on it! Throwing caution to the wind I headed back on the 500 km trip home. Luckily none of the nasty things that could have happened did. A local restoration company has it looking like new, hopefully I just uploaded before and after shots. Lots of issues including the flattened door problem which seems common but I am making progress on that with a new internal plywood frame of my own making. I would be interested in hearing from others, especially in the area. I had to butcher the old hinges to get them off so am facing putting on the new Scamp hinges and that, I think, is a daunting task.
Good to part of Boler Nation at last😎
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170918_153051867.jpg   IMG_20170911_093559970.jpg  

Comox John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
you missed it....

welcome and congratulations !!!

what you missed is an annual gathering of Boler owners on the Island...it was last weekend at the Sooke River Campground.....there must have been 20++ Bolers in attendance....

Hopefully "Island Claire" will chime in and give you details....I'm in Courtenay...Where are you?
Attached Thumbnails
boler.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi John,
Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

We have a number of members in Comox, Courtney and Cumberland.

Our next meet-up is in June at Living Forest Campground from the 8th to the 10th. Hopefully we will see you there.

In the mean time, there is lots of help here, all you have to do is ask.

Don't forget to check out myboler.com to find out all about the Boler 50th Anniversary next summer in Winnipeg.

Claire
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Congratulations! Many happy trails to you!

Too bad you missed the Boler meet...we got our Peanut down in Oregon two days after the North Oregon Gathering...I had so wanted to go to that! I think knowing it was going on acted as a spur for us to take the plunge. though it then took us 9 months to get it camp-ready...and we stlll haven't made it to a NOG.

BEST
Kai
Old 09-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Congratulations! Many happy trails to you!

Too bad you missed the Boler meet...we got our Peanut down in Oregon two days after the North Oregon Gathering...I had so wanted to go to that! I think knowing it was going on acted as a spur for us to take the plunge. though it then took us 9 months to get it camp-ready...and we stlll haven't made it to a NOG.

BEST
Kai
:Kai what are you and your Hubby going to do with your Amerigo?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Stude.

Good to hear from you--

Peanut is what we named our 1973 amerigo FG-16 after a long time fretting about it. It's over at Dash Point as I write this. Paul is having a couple of "ME" days in it before picking the three of us girls up to go hostess the SAG/SAFE Seattle Area Gathering or Seattle Area Fall Event.

Then we're thinking of going down to Oregon to visit my aunt but it's a long trip and I'm not sure I really feel up to it right now...our older pug is so wobbly and wets herself at night...

And come May, we're going to MaryHill Meet and from there off on a long loop trip through Oregon (including visiting my aunt) for 22 days.

After that--We hope to do a long trip through Oregon each year until we've stayed at every one of their State Parks that has electricity and lets you make online reservations. Plus a few more, because the spacing isn't all exactly even for the ones that meet my criteria.

After that...should we be up to it and will take us through to about 2020...then I'm not sure.

I don't know if we'll ever be up to a really long trip, though at one point tat's what we had in mind.

When not travelling, Paul uses it as a Man Cave in the driveway, reads, makes himself snacks, and watches the world go by. Talks to neighbors, etc.

So what are YOU up to lately? Camped anywhere good? Plans?

BEST
Kai

Peanut: one shell with two nuts in it.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
welcome and congratulations !!!

what you missed is an annual gathering of Boler owners on the Island...it was last weekend at the Sooke River Campground.....there must have been 20++ Bolers in attendance....

Hopefully "Island Claire" will chime in and give you details....I'm in Courtenay...Where are you?
Hi Franswa
Thanks for the reply. That's a beautiful looking right you have. Who did the paint work? I am in Comox, very close to the golf course.
Cheers Comox John
Old 09-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Hi John,
Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

We have a number of members in Comox, Courtney and Cumberland.

Our next meet-up is in June at Living Forest Campground from the 8th to the 10th. Hopefully we will see you there.

In the mean time, there is lots of help here, all you have to do is ask.

Don't forget to check out myboler.com to find out all about the Boler 50th Anniversary next summer in Winnipeg.

Claire
Hi Claire
Thanks for the warm welcome. Unfortunately we can't bring "Easy Over" to the get together at Living Forest as that is Thanksgiving and we already have plans. Hopefully next time will work and, with any kind of luck, I will have more of the work that needs to be done finished. A previous owner had installed a pressure water system in her and (ready for it) a flush toilet with its own black water tank up front where the bunks used to be. For obvious reasons we have to find a way to separate this amazing addition from the kitchen area which it is right beside. I will be glad to get all the exterior stuff done so I can concentrate on the best inside work. Cheers to you, Comox John
Old 09-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #9

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
too funny.....

Am I an idiot or what???? thanks for the reply "COMOX John"......I guess I should have paid more attention.....

the picture I posted was not my RV.....BTW that 38 Dodge was a right hand drive ! some people there thought it had come from the UK....but I have an acquaintance who bought TWO old right hand drive American cars from.....ARGENTINA....of all places!!!! don't know the details of that one

my rig is below....if you live in Comox you know there are a lot of BF 17s around these parts....
Attached Thumbnails
reflex2.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #10

British Columbia
Window mechanism

Does anyone know how one can tell if the window mechanism which lifts and opens the jalousie side windows are left hand or right hand without taking the window apart (again!!)? I do see that only one of the options is even available at all and I would sure love to know if my non-operative window mechanism is the one that is available or not. Thanks Comox John
Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #11

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
welcome from Maple Ridge, I did the opposite trip to yours, drove to Sannich to buy mine then back to the fraser valley. I think both windows operate the same direction
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #12

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Comox John..

Nice to have another Fiberglass RV’er in Comox..

Maybe it’s time to get the bunch of us “Comox” fiberglass folks together to swap lies ��