New Wanna-Bees - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
New Wanna-Bees

Hi all!
I just found this forum and it ate up my whole day reading and looking at pictures! So glad I found you!
Anyway...
We are looking at getting a small egg for trips to see more of our great National Parks and wild lands. Due to our having a pair of nearly new 4 cylinder vehicles we are looking at 13 footers, but DH would love his own bath.
We have a '08 Tacoma with a 5-speed and a '10 Subaru Forester. Neither one would be happy towing anything larger than the 13 footer.
Are there many self contained 13 footers out there? What should we know to look at? We had a 19 foot fifth wheel years ago to take the whole family but now as empty-nesters we want something sized right for two.

I'll keep reading and see if I can find the wisdom I need, but I really hope to hear from other members about what they think of this plan.

Denece
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Hi all!
I just found this forum and it ate up my whole day reading and looking at pictures! So glad I found you!
Anyway...
We are looking at getting a small egg for trips to see more of our great National Parks and wild lands. Due to our having a pair of nearly new 4 cylinder vehicles we are looking at 13 footers, but DH would love his own bath.
We have a '08 Tacoma with a 5-speed and a '10 Subaru Forester. Neither one would be happy towing anything larger than the 13 footer.
Are there many self contained 13 footers out there? What should we know to look at? We had a 19 foot fifth wheel years ago to take the whole family but now as empty-nesters we want something sized right for two.

I'll keep reading and see if I can find the wisdom I need, but I really hope to hear from other members about what they think of this plan.

Denece
We tow a 13 Scamp deluxe front bath with a Ford Escape 4CYL. It does well, and has proven very economical and comfortable for the two of us for over seven years now. We love the oak interior.
Either of your vehicles would do very well with one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

Pic011.JPG   WB40023.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi all!
Anyway...

Denece
A lot of it depends on what you feel you need. Anne and I have a 13' Standard Scamp. No toilet or shower or A/C. In 2011 we left our home in Salem Oregon on January 2 and returned around April 8 after a swing through Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Deming NM, Big Bend Tx, New Orleans. Most nights without hookups. There's not another trailer that would fit our needs and desires any better.

The trailer has the front couch/bunk bed and the dinette/bed arrangement. Furnace is a necessity for us, (Big Bend TX got down to single digits while we were there)

We had so much fun we're planning on leaving about the 9th of this month, and returning sometime in May or June.

If would like to read about our trips, 2010, 2011, and 2012 go to http://trips.kinnamans.net
What ever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Byron
Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Denece... Call Escape Trailers in Chilliwack B.C. 604-703-1650. Reace& Tammy have a new 2011 13' Escape nicely equiped and ready to be enjoyed by someone. They seem to be able to make the most out of the least spacewise, and build a quality trailer in all sizes.
We have enjoyed our 5.0 since 2008.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Set for dinner.jpg   Coffee's ready.jpg  

earned my stripes.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Denece and (we) We're glad you found us! You'll find lots of good information plus kind and helpful people here.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hi there. Your plan of a 13' is fine, but if you and hubby feel like it would make a huge difference to get a 15' or 16', don't rule it out completely yet. If lightly loaded for camping, a 16 could still be within the weight limits of your vehicles. And they won't pull much harder because the wind resistance is nearly the same; same frontal area and same shape, only it's longer.

They do make 13s with front baths, but you would then be obliged to put your table down and make up the bed each night, then put the table back up in the morning (unless you just eat sitting on the bed, or at a picnic table).

I sure appreciate having my bathroom! If DH desires a bathroom and you get a trailer without, I predict that it won't be long before he agitates for a different trailer (but you know him best).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Floyd,

What is that contraption above the wardrobe near the front door?

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Welcome Denece,

Our Subaru Outback was rated for 2700 lbs. and would have towed a 13 fine. I do like the deluxe look even though we had a standard Scamp.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Floyd,

What is that contraption above the wardrobe near the front door?

-John
That is a Sharp "HalfPint" microwave. It is 600W and takes a full sized plate. Notice the oak vent to the right? that vents both compartments and there is a Toiletries storage access door in the head behind the Microwave.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Thank you!

Wow, I feel so welcome here and I'm learning a lot! We were wondering if it might not be a good idea to try to attend a rally or get-together of some sort to talk to folks in person and see how the eggs get personalized.
Is that an OK thing to do? Or do we have to wait till we have one to really 'join the club" as it were?

So excited to get started!

Denece
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome to FGRV

You don't say what part of California you live in, but Trilliums are made in Temecula in Riverside county.

We just love ours. If you would like to see our Homelet and you are not too far out of our way, we plan on visiting your fair state in a couple of days. Email me.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Wow, I feel so welcome here and I'm learning a lot! We were wondering if it might not be a good idea to try to attend a rally or get-together of some sort to talk to folks in person and see how the eggs get personalized.
Is that an OK thing to do? Or do we have to wait till we have one to really 'join the club" as it were?

Denece
Oh, absolutely you can attend a rally and tour the eggs, no purchase necessary! I went to one this past Sept. and I didn't currently own an egg, nor did the rally's sponsors. So you see, we are an open-minded lot!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
You don't say what part of California you live in...
They are in Tracy, California near Stockton, east of San Francisco.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
ˇHola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum. Good Luck with your Quest.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:

Denece
Hi Denece

There is a rally in Quartzsite AZ just across the border from Blythe CA on Feb 10-12. Last year there were 62 eggs there. You could see a good cross-section of fantastic fiberglass and meet a lot of friendly people.

It's not a problem attending a rally if you don't have your own fiberglass camper. Most owners are very happy to show off their rigs.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Welcome!!! I have a 2008 13' Scamp that I tow with a 2009 Subaru Forester. The Scamp has a front bathroom/shower and I normally have water on board for just in case. The one thing I'd like to have is A/C. Hope to retro fit a window A/C unit in the closet this year. After a trip last year, it weighed in at 1840#. Subie is rated for 2400#. I can gain 500# and still be under the limit. (but I wouldn't fit in Scamp). I leave the table set up as a bed all the time. Scamp is used just as a mobile hotel. I rarely cook, but do keep snacks, soda and water in the fridge. I tow at about 60 mph and don't realize it is back there most of the time. Could probably go faster, but would rather not take a chance on things getting out of control. I like the little Scamp, just right for what I need. The bathroom/shower is great to have.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote