New Wannabe! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: Carol
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
New Wannabe!

Hi to all! Thrilled to be able to post and ask a few questions once in awhile. I'm so envious of all of you (in a good way). I would absolutely love, like and adore having a travel camper. I am a retired school teacher from El Paso, now living in South Carolina. I have my heart set on a Lil Snoozy someday and since they are made right here where I live, perhaps it is not so far fetched. Love everything about this camper but most of all, the living arrangement. I am an old movie fan (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and would like to be able to watch these at night while camping. I am interested in learning how Wifi internet service works when camping especially along the beach. Thanks in advance for putting up with newbies like me. I will probably ask some really silly questions from you. Love and happiness to you all!
Ruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Carol, with my Droid from verizon as long as I have signal I can streal netflix on my phone and can plug it into a larger tv screen with an adapter...uses data but its an option if no wifi is around. I would still suggest carrying along some dvd's for more remote kinds of locations.

Check out ParkLiner too, there in NC and make a real nice camper!

best of luck
deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

South Carolina
Wow Deryk, I never thought of that! When you hook up somewhere like a KOA or Park do you usually receive the Wifi automatically? So it is only when you are out in the wilderness that you could use the Droid?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have been to the four SC state parks at the beach. Wifi was only available at the campground office/store area. One of the parks didn't have it at all. I doubt it is good enough to watch movies. The campground we are at now in GA has wifi throughout the campground, but it is erratic and not able to accommodate much use. Sometimes we can't get on this site or any others, or get email. Cable tv is the same, sometimes erratic, not too many channels, much to my dismay no History channel.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

South Carolina
Thanks Mary and Bob. I am surprised and very disappointed to hear this.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
Better off bringing your own movies

Deryk
Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You may find better wifi and cable at a private campground like a KOA. Our experience is with state parks.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Carol, I cant speak for SC but on the west coast in the 8 states I have traveled through in the past 2 years its been my experience that few public campgrounds such as state parks offer Wi-Fi. If they have it, its often only near their office to allow for a quick email check. Did read someplace recently that some of the state parks may be adding it though. Cant recall what states. Many private campgrounds do have Wi-fi but some charge for its use & more often than not its not the fastest Wi-Fi you will have ever been on. Many private campgrounds also offer cable TV but not all and its also an item you can often expect to be charged extra for. As others have suggested far better that you down load movies at home prior to leaving or bring your own DVD's.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
snoozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruti View Post
Hi to all! Thrilled to be able to post and ask a few questions once in awhile. I'm so envious of all of you (in a good way). I would absolutely love, like and adore having a travel camper. I am a retired school teacher from El Paso, now living in South Carolina. I have my heart set on a Lil Snoozy someday and since they are made right here where I live, perhaps it is not so far fetched. Love everything about this camper but most of all, the living arrangement. I am an old movie fan (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and would like to be able to watch these at night while camping. I am interested in learning how Wifi internet service works when camping especially along the beach. Thanks in advance for putting up with newbies like me. I will probably ask some really silly questions from you. Love and happiness to you all!
look at this and ckeck us out HOME
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Scrabble. A deck of cards. Cribbage board. Binoculars and bird book. Fishing pole. Books. Fire starter.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
Drink, make music, dance around the bonfire, laugh with friends, swap stories, and stare up at the stars and realize your place in the cosmos
Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Scrabble. A deck of cards. Cribbage board. Binoculars and bird book. Fishing pole. Books. Fire starter.
I can't believe you never included beer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I can't believe you never included beer.
That's a given. And, a remote control for the fridge.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote