New, with lots of questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Trailer: 1975 Boler
We've lived out of our 13' Boler for a few months. Once for 3 months on our in-laws yard. Again for 5 weeks at a state park I worked at. It worked great. We have 2 kids about the same age as yours. A two (almost 3yo) and an 18 month old. At the time, they were younger. The older one loved it! The younger one was too young to notice. We all co-slept on the rear dinette!! Except when it was cold, because we didn't like fighting over the blankets I slept on the front bunk. Now that they sleep in their own beds, we put them on the lower bunk together or one sleeps with us.
We did all our cooking and bathroom stuff at the in-laws house when we were there, but at the campground did all the cooking and used a porta potty at night only in the Boler. It even helped our oldest potty train actually! We always had electric hook ups and just filled the water tank with 5 gallon jugs.
We've globe trotted and road tripped a lot and have never needed a lot of space to sleep or cook - when you're camping you have the entire outdoors as your living room!!!
I would maybe be cautious/thoughtful in your situation only because you say fall and early winter, and that usually means rain/snow. If you have an awning, good rain gear and are okay with spending lots of time indoors reading to the kids it's no problem! It's definitely not for everyone, but we did it and plan on doing it again soon!

Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
You're right about the tow vehicle limiting your options- do keep that in mind when shopping.

Another limiter as I see it is the time of year/area you're talking about, combined with your (so far unstated) intentions as to where/how you'll be overnighting.

There are very few fiberglass trailers that would be suitable for fall/winter travel with babies anyplace but the Southern U.S. UNLESS you intend to always have electrical hookups. Most are "three-season" trailers, and may not be up to the job of keeping the babies warm enough using just the as-provided gas heater. Having "shorepower" for running a couple of space heaters will do the job, but it's obviously more expensive to always have hookups. This not to mention the difficulty of finding Canadian/ Northern U.S. campgrounds/RV parks that are actually open in the winter.

Those fiberglass units that are better insulated and suited for winter no-hookups camping tend also to be heavier and more expensive.

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Originally Posted by Allison M. View Post

2. Does anyone know of young families like ours that spend a lot of time in a small trailer? I'd love to get some advice particular to very young kids. Or a blog?

Thanks in advance
We are a family of 4, with two young boys, ages 5 and 2. We bought a 14' widebody Burro last year and we love it! My hubby and I sleep on the full sized rear bed which we can convert into a table during the day if the weather is poor. The boys sleep either on the front bed(converts to dinette during the day) feet to feet, or my 5 year old sleeps on the floor and the 2 year old takes the bed. We do not have a bathroom or porta potti and it works just fine for us. We were tent campers as well before the kiddos were born. But the trailer just makes camping easier as a family.

I love that it does not take long to set up or tear down camp. We have been known to pull into a campground very late at night, back into the space, unhitch, chock the wheels, pull down the jacks and get the boys into bed in under 15 minutes!

We towed with a Honda Oddyssey last year and a Honda Piliot now. Both are the same engine, so they are essentially the same and worked great. But the Pilot is a better fit for our Burro, since it has a pretty high ground clearance. But personally, I loved towing with the minivan because it was a bit more comical looking to see our Burro towed by our van than an SUV.

Best of luck finding a trailer that suits you and your family.

Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote