newbe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
newbe

Hi, I'm BillG from Canandaigua, NY (near Rochester, NY). Currently I am looking for a project camper to make my own. I'm game for a fixer-upper (not a burner-downer) and am looking for something in the 16 ft-17ft range. Being 6ft 1in limits my options to Scamps, Burros,Escapes (etc...). Have not had much luck finding anything nearby - either they do not exist or current owners just don't want to part with their campers (what a selfish world we live in! oh well - guess that says they like their trialers!). Am very interested in viewing different models/units to help decide what we (yeh, got the wife and 7 yo kid who want to weigh in on the purchase!) may want to look for. Any Scamp, Burro, Escape owners in the area willing to let us take a peeK????? Pweeeezzzze??? I am aware of a fiber glass 13-14 unit in Fairport, NY that is in need of TLC - think it is a Burro or Egg camper - would be willing to contact the owner or point someone in the right direction. Can't wait to be a trailer owner!
Bill G
billg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bill and family, welcome to FiberglassRV. Can't help you directly with a trailer for sale in your area, but strong suggest you keep a sharp on on the classifieds here, both member for sale and the referrals. AND, here: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Bill, Sounds like you're doing your homework. I can give you a few tips that worked for me.
1. Spend time on ebay, craigslist, ForSale ads on this site and http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com so you can 'tour' the trailers using their photos. It will give you a good feeling for the trailers, the finishes and the little cosmetic 'oddities' that make each brand unique.
2. Explore around the photos and posts on this website, of all the refurbs that have been done by members of this group.
3. See if you can find an egg gathering and stop on in. Most FG'ers are more than happy to show off their 'eggs'. (There are ralley locations listed on this site). It may mean that you invest in some gas, and a hotel room for the weekend.
4. Go to the website links for the trailer models that are listed on this forum, and take note of dimensions and sizes. Then use those measurments to 'lay out' the trailer on your living room floor to get an idea as to how big/small it actually is.
5. Hopefully this will help you be more comfortable making a decision on a purchase, whether or not you actually physically visit it before you buy. (I bought mine off Ebay)
Good luck, your trailer is out there!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
AND, make sure you print out and take the Buyers Check List with you everytime you go look at a trailer to buy.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"Thanks" to all who replied. Still looking but this is half of the fun/excitement! Will add updates as the search progresses.
Bill G
billg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bill,

I say this every time someone posts that they are looking. Don't take long to make a decision, or someone else will get your trailer. They go fast. We took 10 minutes to buy ours using only pix on ebay.

Good luck! Let us know what you find and post pix.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I agree....there is always someone right behind you on these things..one of the reasons the prices stay consistant.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #8

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Bill, I bought a Trillium a few months back for $2800., the guy pulled it from his back yard into his driveway. Another guy came by and offered him $4000. but he sold it to me. These trailers sell fast if reasonably priced. Good Luck.

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote