Newbee - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Xavier
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
Newbee

Hello

I am new to the travel trailer concept and am looking for a 13' travel trailer. Any advice will be highly welcomed.

Thanks
JeepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Newbee

Welcome, Xavier!

First thing to know about 13'ers is weight. Many sellers, perhaps misled by manufacturers' dry weights, advertise them as around 1000 pounds and towable by any passenger vehicle. Real world towing weights are more in the 1400-1800 pound range, sometimes more if it has a full wet bath, dual LP tanks, A/C and awning, etc.

Second thing to know is that headroom and bed sizes are somewhat limited. Unusually large or tall people may find them a tight fit. Beds are typically around 75-75" long, and 45" wide is considered a "double." Ceiling heights vary from around 5'10" to around 6'2".

We love our 13' Scamp, and it fits 2 adults and 2 children (11 and 14) snugly. Since both our daughters are fairly petite, either can still use the weight-limited upper bunk. We prefer to cook and eat outside and camp only where there are restrooms and showers.

Some people tow with vehicles rated as low as 1500 pounds, but that leaves very little payload for extra people or gear and little performance margin for demanding towing conditions- steep grades, strong headwinds, high altitudes, and hot temperatures. We tow with a Honda Pilot, rated to pull 3500 pounds.

One big adjustment for me when we upgraded from a tent to a trailer was how much longer it takes to get anywhere. Towing speeds are limited to 60-65 mph, versus 75-80 mph traveling solo. You'll stop more often for gas (17-19 mpg towing, versus 23-25 solo). Getting in and out of a pit stop, finding a place to park, and many other routine things take just a little longer with a trailer.

But it's all worth it when we get to our destination and our home-on-wheels is right there waiting!

Tell us a bit more about how and where you plan to camp, your intended tow vehicle, and general budget range, and I'm sure you'll get some more specific suggestions.

Happy "egg hunting"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: Xavier
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
Thanks Jon for the information. My wife and I love the outdoors so we try to get out as often as we can. The camper would just be for us to lay down at night. We are also looking to upgrade from a tent to a camper with my tow rig being a 4dr Jeep Unlimited. I have to check on much I can actually tow with it. I have a budget of about 10k. So I don't know if I'm in the ball park for one. I just started my search.

Thanks
JeepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
$10K can almost buy a brand-new 13' Scamp, albeit a very basic one. You should be able to find a very decent used Scamp or other 13'er within that budget. I'd recommend leaving a portion for towing-related set-up costs- hitch, wiring upgrades, stuff like that- as well as unexpected repairs. It can add up.

Know that the best offerings sell really fast, as in hours or even minutes, not days. It's best to set up and monitor a regional Craigslist search as well as checking this site and www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com several times daily. Be prepared to act quickly, but also be wary of scams, which abound for the desirable 13'ers. This site and the other I linked are mostly scam-free, but Craigslist is a jungle!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote