Newbie.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: T@B
South Carolina
Newbie....

Hi! My name is Tom, wife is Cindy. We live very close to Charleston, SC. Presently, we are camping in a 2017 T@B "Tabitha" model. Our tow vehicle is a 2016 Subaru Outback 4 cyl 2.5 engine. A great combination! Subaru gets almost 15 MPG. T@B is awesome....however, we'd like to have a little more room and are looking at one of the Fiberglass RVs....any suggestions as to the best one out there? The T@B will soon be "for sale" and I'll be happy to answer any questions prior to posting.....contact me thru this site. We enjoy camping and the camaraderie of fellow T@B'bers. Our other interest is campfire cooking especially with the cast iron Dutch oven! Glad to join your Merry Band...looking forward to good times! Tom and Cindy
Tom F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Tom!

We have quite a few forum members towing with Subaru Outbacks. A significant limitation is the 200 pound tongue weight rating. In order to keep tongue weight in the recommended 10-15% window for stable towing, that means you are limited to a 2000 pound trailer. Most 13' molded fiberglass trailers fall within that range. However, some with front bath, twin LP tanks, and a battery will exceed the tongue weight limit. Some wise loading is typically required. Putting that Dutch oven at the back may help!

Anything larger than 13' is probably a no-go.

Best? You'll get different answers to that. It depends on your budget and expectations. There are currently only five manufacturers producing 13' eggs, Casita having recently announced it is dropping the 13' Patriot model. Remaining options are Scamp (far and away the most common, simple and basic in standard trim, semi-custom wood interior available), Happier Camper (a recent addition to the field, modular user-customizable interior), Weiscraft (a narrower rear-entry unit), Relic (semi-custom, vintage styling), and Armadillo (semi-custom from Canada).

Of course there are many used and vintage options.

Best wishes finding the trailer that's right for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
First of welcome to FGRV
I got to tell you when we first got our Boler1300 we had a Subaru Forester and went to talk to the dealer about getting a hitch installed and upon his recomendations we DID NOT tow our 2000 pound camper.
After loading once for a week long trip I weighed it on truck scale at local sand pit and the weight was a tad over 2500 pounds and toung wt was 235 pounds.
Back to the dealer he said if we had a Subaru with the Factory Tow Pkg. it would handle it
Tow PKg being a bigger tranny/with cooler and heftier shocks in rear.
Just saying.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My trailer only weighs about 1300 lbs, and it's for sale:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-76877.html
Plenty of interior space! But of course it's a tad spartan until you decorate it to suit yourselves.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The best trailer is the one you like that fits you and the really best is when it's paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Don't depend on what people at dealerships tell you because most don't have a clue unless they're RVers themselves.

rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
Don't depend on what people at dealerships tell you because most don't have a clue unless they're RVers themselves.

Ya Tom & Cindy, just depend on us senior members here on FGRV
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote