Newbie Beachcomber owner from Saskatchewan, Canada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #15

Name: Melody
Trailer: Beachcomber
Saskatchewan
Attachment 99699

Hi - trying to upload some Fiberglass "repairs" I'm concerned about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	99702

Old 09-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #16

Saskatchewan
And no repair other than tape on this spot by the door:Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	99701

Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
After reading further, I figure I should have these spots as priority rather than decor. That's some type of silicone on the top corner of trailer.

I sent these pics to a Fiberglass repair shop to see what they can do. Hoping, but bracing myself for bad news cost-wise on the quote. I could maybe try to learn on the spot by the door but think that corner is beyond me at this time.

Your thoughts please!?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #18

Saskatchewan
Hi all, me again.

I'm a determined lady and would love to see this Reno to the end but, other than very tight money issues, I've learned that it's very difficult to own a bit of a fixer upper when living in a condo. Can't park trailer in my parking spot (even though it fits very nicely!). Luckily I know someone on an acreage, over an hour away, who allowed me to store it there. I've been going out every Sunday for the last month and allowing myself two more (Sunday's). I've attacked the gel coat repairs but it's very slow going. Many layers and sanding in between means I only do one layer a week. I'll be pushing it to meet my deadline.

I had lofty hopes last fall thinking I'd paint the interior. I'm not even close yet. I work full time, an extra pt, and have a dog. After sanding and applying filler/gel coat, I fiddle with interior ensolite mouldings that are coming off. Any ideas??? I'm trying liquid nails to reattach it, but it doesn't set fast enough for it to hold on the curves. I'm thinking of trying drops of super fast drying gorilla glue at critical points to try to keep it in place while the liquid nails sets. Last weekend I tried taping with gorilla tape while it sets, but that doesn't hold it either. There doesn't appear to be enough framing underneath most of these area to use real nails at the curved spots either.

I've almost got the curtains done but still have to make the cushion covers. And I'm getting worn out. Due to financial issues and logistics I've realized, unfortunately, that I need to sell it. breaks my heart as I've gotten attached to it and will really regret not being able to see it through to what I envision.

If anyone has any tips for reattaching the ensolite seam pieces, please let me know! If I could get that completed, I'll be very close to using the paint and new flooring I've already purchased.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you're going to paint, you might consider removing the T-molding pieces altogether. Caulk the seams with paintable latex. Some dab the caulk with a crumpled cloth to approximate the texture of the surrounding Ensolite. Paint over all.

If you aren't going to get to the paint before you sell, I'd at least not use gorilla glue or any kind of permanent adhesive. That will just make the next person's job harder.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #20

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you're going to paint, you might consider removing the T-molding pieces altogether. Caulk the seams with paintable latex. Some dab the caulk with a crumpled cloth to approximate the texture of the surrounding Ensolite. Paint over all.

If you aren't going to get to the paint before you sell, I'd at least not use gorilla glue or any kind of permanent adhesive. That will just make the next person's job harder.

Thank you! I started a new thread regarding this issue and didn't get any replies. I don't have any help with the renos, not even for a 2nd opinion, so this means a lot. Just your suggestion has gotten me turned around to approach it differently, and hopefully, more successfully! Will latex caulk hold down the seams...quick enough for me to wait out the holding part? There are some places where the ensolite is pushing inward about 1/4". Doesn't meet smoothly, which is adding to my problem with the liquid nails as well.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #21

Arizona
Registry
If the Ensolite is loose near the seams, I'd reattach it first. Contact cement, maybe? If there are any bubbles, make a very small hole, inject adhesive, and push back into place. Contact cement is nice because if you let it get tacky before putting the pieces together, they will grab and hold.

Clean very thoroughly.

Then caulk. I'll say it again- paintable latex, not silicone. Even if the seams are wide, or if there are gouges in the Ensolite, just fill them in with caulk. Smooth with a damp rag or finger, then texture if desired. Let it cure thoroughly.

Next prime and paint. Old threads will have specific product recommendations. Try searching using "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the "Search" menu) on "paint Ensolite."

Best wishes!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #22

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If the Ensolite is loose near the seams, I'd reattach it first. Contact cement, maybe? If there are any bubbles, make a very small hole, inject adhesive, and push back into place. Contact cement is nice because if you let it get tacky before putting the pieces together, they will grab and hold.

Clean very thoroughly.

Then caulk: I'll say it again- paintable latex, not silicone. Even if the seams are wide, or if there are gouges in the Ensolite, just fill them in with caulk. Smooth with a damp rag or finger, then texture if desired. Let it cure thoroughly.

Next prime and paint. Old threads will have specific product recommendations. Try searching using "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the "Search" menu) on "paint Ensolite."

Best wishes!

Thanks so much! I have a new plan! I've got the primer and paint figured out and bought. Was just stuck on this preparation stage.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Old 06-14-2017, 12:10 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Hi Melody, just went back through these posts, did you ever get a $ on the body repairs? Do have to agree with your post #17, safety items all working before mods/decorating and using it for a season as some find the mods they thought they wanted/needed turned out to be wrong for the way they camped. FWIW, if the body damage isn't leaking, I'd use it as is for now. Also, I've had a few RVs that I had to light the refer from the outside. You're only lighting the pilot flame from there and one has to be inside for that. Your pups off the hook for learnin' a new trick .
Old 06-14-2017, 06:39 AM   #25

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi Melody, just went back through these posts, did you ever get a $ on the body repairs? Do have to agree with your post #17, safety items all working before mods/decorating and using it for a season as some find the mods they thought they wanted/needed turned out to be wrong for the way they camped. FWIW, if the body damage isn't leaking, I'd use it as is for now. Also, I've had a few RVs that I had to light the refer from the outside. You're only lighting the pilot flame from there and one has to be inside for that. Your pups off the hook for learnin' a new trick .
I'm doing the body repairs myself. Hopefully that'll be done in a couple of weeks as I've spent 4 or 5 days already. Slow going waiting for layers to dry. I am now fixing up to sell unfortunately.

Tags
beachcomber