NEWBIE: Egg vs. Lil Snoozy advice - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #113
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I just found this online - 2010 18' Forest River R Pod R171 -good price- looks similar to other models discussed here - anyone have any knowledge on this one
As stick-built trailers go, the Forest River stuff has a pretty decent reputation. Expect them to push wind nearly the same as any other stick trailer; despite the rounded top, the corners are still squared off and several R-Pod owners reported on their forum that they get about 12 mpg.

I have to say that a used stickie will be more affordable than a used molded FG unit, so you can get more bang for your buck initially. And most of the interior appliances and stuff are the same across the board. Where you sacrifice with any stickie is the greater wind resistance (lower mpg and need more HP) as well as the many seams that can eventually leak (which can, if not caught quickly, seriously mess up or even destroy a trailer). You may note from my photo that I have a stick-built myself right now.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #114
Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Thanks. Forgive my ignorance - from the picture it looks the same as the fiberglass models so I assumed the R Pod was constructed the same. It makes sense that the R Pod with wood construction will eventually show signs of wear and tear, and deterioration sooner than the all fiberglass models. I am naively optimistic that when I buy my travel trailer, I plan on owning it for life - much the same as my vehicles. I will have to store it out in the weather. I am assuming that, other than a weathered appearance, it really doesn't hurt the fiberglass models. I can see where wood constructed models will deteriorate due to seams leaking, and wood expanding and contracting out in the weather. Aging is another major plus for fiberglass models.

I'm learning, folks, thanks again for all of the advice. I am overwhelmed by the response to my post - 9 pages - WOW.

Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #115
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
What we have on here is "molded fiberglass."
Other types are stick builds with maybe a fiberglass sheet on it.
Even with the fiberglass sheet, the sticks still have the same problems.
Not that some molded fiberglass trailers don't have their own problems.

The two are definitely two different animals.

carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote

lil snoozy