NEWBIE: Egg vs. Lil Snoozy advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
NEWBIE: Egg vs. Lil Snoozy advice

I have been on here about 6 months mostly reading advice. I am 4 years from retirement and just in planning stages of getting a camper for everything from short fishing trips to longer 6 month or longer trips when I retire. I would like to have my trailer in the next 2 years with some time for any modifications before I venture out to see the country and have to live in the trailer for several months at a time. I am sold on fiberglass trailer - #1 reason I want something light so I don't have to get a big heavy duty pickup truck. I'm a big guy - 6'4" and 280lbs. So in my research I have just about ruled out any fiberglass trailers beside the Egg Camper and the Lil Snoozy. Both appear to have enough headroom and bedroom - Egg is 6'7" inside and Lil Snoozy is 6"4". I like the Scamps and Casitas but just not enough headroom. Other brand names like Parkliner and Jayco just seem to be too heavy. I will spend some time in the mountains and having a small pickup or SUV is a must for me - I definitely want to save money by travelling light. I know nothing about RVs and not very mechanical. I have a few necessities I will have to have - good AC/heat, good bed, and Sat TV (travelling alone, sports fan, I will need TV access). Do fiberglass trailers stay warm in sub freezing temps? I won't go too extreme but could see myself in the Rockies in the fall.

I have really narrowed down to Egg Camper. Listed new $18,800 vs. Lil Snoozy for $19,000 but the Egg Camper has more options included in standard package vs. the Lil Snoozy. Lil Snoozy has features like microwave, awning, cable/Sat TV hookups, and more as extra features. The added cost of some of the features that the Egg Camper include as standard really make the Lil Snoozy price go up.

But I will also want some kind of generator to boondock sometimes. I am thinking I will need propane too if electric isn't available.

I would love to buy used, but MAN, I stay active on different sites and there just aren't Egg Campers or Lil Snoozys for sale.

I am very excited every time I think about retiring and hitting the road in my camper. #1 ambition is to travel the Pacific Coast Highway, then spend the winter in warm weather for my first winter.

I would certainly like to hear from owners of Egg Campers and Lil Snoozys or any other fiberglass trailer owners who can give me advice.

Mark, Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Both Egg Camper and Lil Snoozy are electric only. No propane tanks and propane appliances. That's the reason why these brands are not in my shopping list.
sokhapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I second Sergey on why they are not on mine either as I like to have lots of flexibility of where and when I camp. The use of generator is slowly being outlawed in many areas I camp or hours of use greatly decreasing.

Have you been inside either of these trailers yet? If not I suggest you take a look at the Rally Map and see what rallies may be close to you this summer and go and take a look at all the brands of fiberglass trailers. They are all very different and the Egg and Lil Snoozy are favourites for some and not for others, its the same with every brand. You may find that what you thought you would like isn't the one after you have a chance to go inside the other brands.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Registry
BTW have you looked at the Escape 17'?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Mark.

If this will help any, this is the Lil Snoozy Owners site:

HOME

I'm in NE Oklahoma just west of Siloam Springs, Ark.
You're welcome any time to check my Snoozy out.

BAMA (Herschel) lives in Van Buren, Ark. with his Snoozy.
He has his for sale.

The Lil Snoozy made it to the top of my selection list.
Every one has different desires and needs. So everyone has
to decide what their list of "must haves" are and make an informed
decision. If you travel single the Lil Snoozy may be the perfect size.
There are three of us, so one of my must have was a third bed. My
daughter is extra short so the Snoozy couch/bed is perfect for her.

Good luck on your search. A trailer with your name on it is out there
waiting somewhere.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

Missouri
Dangit. I don't want to be "that guy" with a generator running in the campground. Do you have any other suggestions for what I am looking for? Are there other brand names I am missing that would suit a 6'4" person?

I have to be able to stand up and sleep comfortably. And I don't want to get much over 2,000 lbs in weight. And I definitely want to stay small as there are places I want to take it where there isn't enough room for anything but a small trailer.

Is there generators out there that are relatively quiet? And excuse my ignorance, but do all generators run off of a battery? How long can I run a decent generator before the battery needs charged? Are there generators that run off of fuel? So as long as I have fuel I have a generator?

Not at all familiar with generators - I would want to be able to be off electric grid for 4-5 days without getting a battery generator recharged somewhere.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Generators do NOT need a battery. Generators provide electric power to run electric appliances (including battery charger).
sokhapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #8

NE Oklahoma
I have the Honda 2000 iE generator.
It's a gas engine generator. Have yet to need to use it.
In fact, I haven't taken it with me since I got it. But I do
stay in state parks. In the Walmart parking lots, the fantastic
fan does quite well in the spring and fall.

There are lots of alternatives. Solar is one of them.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #9

Missouri
No I haven't been inside ANY trailers since I became serious and I will definitely check out as many as I can in the next few months.

Man, if campgrounds eliminate generators, that is a whole new set of issues. I know I don't want a loud generator. It irks me anytime I have camped and heard one running all night. Totally ruins the experience.

I will research the Escape. Thanks all, any advice is appreciated.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Dangit. I don't want to be "that guy" with a generator running in the campground. Do you have any other suggestions for what I am looking for?
If you don't want to have to use a generator then you need a trailer with propane appliances not all electrical. You want a 3 way fridge that will run on propane only as well as a stove, furnace hot water tank.

You can do as many of us have & make sure all your inside lights are LED bulbs (easy to change them if they are not done already) and get yourself a small solar system. Never needed or used a generator in my set up and camp without elecrical on about 50% of my trips.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Welcome to the forum.

Propane is a must for me. I also have solar but no generator. This covers all of my needs except AC. If you want to boondock you'll probably want propane too. With propane and solar I'm good for several days off grid with a little help from the sun. While I like AC, I'm reluctant to buy a generator. The cost, noise, weight and exhaust are all concerns. I try to avoid extremely hot weather.

If you can attend a rally ,even if you don't have a trailer yet, you can look at a number of brands and ask questions. Some manufacturers have a program where a prospective buyer can look at a trailer that is owned by someone in your area. You could also ask if there is a forum member nearby that would let you look at their trailer.

I'm 6' tall and my 17' Bigfoot works great for me but a taller person might be uncomfortable .

Good luck on your search.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #12

NE Oklahoma
Arkansas Rally in September.....

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lly-62481.html
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #13

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
9 reply' in 30 minutes.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:

I will research the Escape. Thanks all, any advice is appreciated.
Mark Escape has become pretty well the trailer of choose here on the West coast. If you call them they can tell you if there is someone near you that has one you can go see. The base price may seem high but when you look at all that is included in that and what some of the other trailers would cost if you added on all those same items as options the price really is very fair. Also the dollar is more in your favour these days as well. They also have an extra insulation package for those who like to winter camp.

A number of people have been trading up to the bigger trailers that Escape is now offering so if you go to their website and look on the front page for a link to their User forum - there is a for sale section. Will give you some idea as to what they go for used.... but be warned they go fast when they do come on the market used.

Another trailer to look at is the Bigfoot 17' but its on the heavier side. More of them can be found on the used market thought.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #15

NE Oklahoma
Here's some pics of last years Arkansas Rally.
There was a variety of brands represented, but the Casitas
seem to out number everyone last year.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post418290
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
In Wisconsin the State Parks only allow generators when 1) There are no sites available with electricity 2) You have a medical condition that requires your need for electricity 3) The park ranger approves a generators usage. The hours when a generator may be run are also extremely limited . I would look for an EGG with both electric , propane and add solar . These features make your trailer much more versatile and increase the places where you can camp. IMHO> I would seriously look at the 17 ft Escape which has a large list of options
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mark,

Like many on this site I would not consider a trailer without propane for exploring North America.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #18

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
. Other brand names like Parkliner and Jayco just seem to be too heavy.
Mark, Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
ParkLiner is no heavier then a scamp 16, and mine has Interior Height: 6′ 5″.... Jayco is a stick built trailer, which has nothing in common with a ParkLiner.

ParkLiner Ultra-Light Camper Trailer Specs – ParkLiner Ultralight Travel Trailers

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Revisit the ParkLiner, it will tow very nicely and has the LOTS of headroom. (remember it is a 15fter)
6'5" interior height and 80" plus interior width and a large bed. Taller and wider inside than the Lil Snoozy.
Also it is under 2000#.

Also, don't lump the Casita and Scamp together...The Scamp has 5" more headroom. (1" less than the Snoozy)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #20

Missouri
The Escape 17' has an interior height of 6'2" - dangit again. The 19' Escape is 6'5" but $24,500 is getting up there. I'll check out Bigfoot and Escape forum. Don't know if I can afford a brand new one of any make.

Tags
lil snoozy