NEWBIE: Egg vs. Lil Snoozy advice - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #61

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Well Floyd, if you are going to label certain models as Park like, then the opposite may be said, certain 13' models are micro like where you have to go outside to change your mind!
I'll type this slowly...The comment was (as stated above) in context with "a small pickup or SUV".
There is nothing wrong with a large (and getting larger) Escape trailer, that a large (and getting larger) TV won't solve. I simply would not tow a 19-21 Escape with "a small pickup or SUV".
Of course there are those who would consider all present offerings in fiberglass to be too small.
When it comes to picking a travel trailer, how many times does one really need to change his mind anyway? Have you done this consistently while inside? Should one continue to upsize until one can change his mind while still inside?... or is going outside still going to be necessary in order to see just how big a thing you are about to tow?
Inside or out, my mind was made up 10years ago with great consequent satisfaction.

PS... even with emoticons it is difficult to convey the good humor in which our exchange is conducted. I hope it is both implied and inferred as needed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #62

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
lil'Snoozy

I will have to admit that the Snoozy would be my choice if I could not have my egg. I like the rear door. I like the surge brakes, having towed boat trailers all my life. I too, like the twin beds (much easier to make up). I especially like the residential room ac mounted up high on the wall, another advantage of the flat rear wall design. Great trailer as far as I'm concerned.

Wayne
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #63

Florida
Registry
Egg Humor

I really enjoy the humor on this site, Harley and Floyd. Very funny!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #64

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Perpall View Post
I really do "LOVE" the Oliver. Have been studying it very closely as they have gone back into production. Looked at all the photos over and over.

I really enjoy the ease of towing my EggCamper. No weight distribution hitch and no anti-sway. Makes everything so quick and easy.
Wayne

No one I know is using either a weight distribution hitch or any kind of anti-sway equipment when towing their Oliver. It's just not needed. Even though this trailer is much heavier than the OP is looking for, it does have 78 inches of interior floor to ceiling height.

The new Oliver web site that will be going live in the next few days will have all the measurements and other stats.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #65

Florida
Registry
Oliver Trailer

Did not mean to imply that the Oliver required such. Just see all that on heavier trailers and am happy not to deal with it. Glad to know the Oliver does not necessarily require such. One more vote for Oliver. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #66

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Mark, my husband is around 6 ft and gets claustrophobic in these trailers. He would always need to sleep in a separate bed in the 13 footers but has progressed to the same bed in our Casita. He needs to keep the window next to where he is sleeping and the curtains open for the same reason. He (for some unkown reason) seems to be frequently standing up inside our trailer and it really bothered him when he had to bend his head.
Sounds like you should certainly spend some time in several before making a decision.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #67

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Perpall View Post
Did not mean to imply that the Oliver required such. Just see all that on heavier trailers and am happy not to deal with it. Glad to know the Oliver does not necessarily require such. One more vote for Oliver. Thanks for the info.
There is talk of Oliver offering a smaller trailer, but seein' is believin'.
I got a chance to view the Oliver at LBL last fall. They are well made trailers, and I like most of their build philosophy.
Certainly a better trailer than a comparable Airstream Soveriegn,but my travel budget wouldn't tow it, let alone buy it!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #68

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Mark, my husband is around 6 ft and gets claustrophobic in these trailers. He would always need to sleep in a separate bed in the 13 footers but has progressed to the same bed in our Casita. He needs to keep the window next to where he is sleeping and the curtains open for the same reason. He (for some unkown reason) seems to be frequently standing up inside our trailer and it really bothered him when he had to bend his head.
Sounds like you should certainly spend some time in several before making a decision.
The interior height in a new Scamp 13 is 6'3" and the bed is now 54" wide even on the standard.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #69

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I assume, but don't know, that an Oliver may require a W/D system. Is that correct?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #70

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Our Scamp 16, though probably not for your frame, has plenty of windows, front and back and both sides. One of the things I dislike about the Egg camper is no rear windows. Similarly for the Snoozy, no front window.

We went to a mainly Casita rally in TX and all the Casita owners commented on our Scamp's size, an optical illusion because we have a front and rear window, giving the impression of a longer trailer.
There's a little more to it than the windows. Part of it is the Scamp's wider aisle, which makes the entire trailer seem wider. Casitas really do feel closed in and tight to me. Scamps, not really.

The big side windows on the Snoozy do wonders for an open feeling.

Some folks who have been in the Parkliner have commented that it feels very spacious, too, because it has that open bench on the one side.

It's funny, when DW and I first started looking at travel trailers I settled on a 23' Rockwood, 8' wide plus a slideout. I felt like non-slide trailers were just way too confined feeling! Now I'm happy with my 7' wide no-slide trailer. My brain adjusted.

Mark, your pickup could probably tow a 13' egg. Maybe a 16' too.
Until a rally comes up, Scamp and Casita will also put you in touch with owners near you that will show their trailers to you, if you call their main offices. Or watch your local for sale ads (Craigslist, etc) for any used ones for sale near you, and even if you're not ready to buy yet you can go "kick the tires" (get inside them and see what you like/don't like).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #71

Registry
Quote:
I assume, but don't know, that an Oliver may require a W/D system. Is that correct?
Oliver has an aluminum frame with a steel coupler attached to an extendable steel shaft which interfaces with the frame.
I understand that they claim that their design obviates the need for sway control or weight distribution hitches.
It may be that a standard WDH may not be recommended.
I kinda forget what all was said on the subject,since I won't be buying a large truck or, subsequently, an Oliver.
Anyone else care to chime in?...Please do.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #72

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Why do you think Oliver requires Washer and Drier?
sokhapkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #73

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Both Egg Camper and Lil Snoozy are electric only. No propane tanks and propane appliances. That's the reason why these brands are not in my shopping list.
Big misconception for Lil Snoozy. I have a lil Snoozy and I have propane.
For a very nominal fee they will build it propane ready. They do not promote propane because they do not carry (what I understand to be expensive) insurance to install propane.
Lil Snoozy will build your tank brackets and if you send them the templates for your stove or furnace, they will prepare for easy installation. A propane business located a few miles from the Snoozy facility will do the install and again for a very nominal fee. I think I paid 180.00 for installation, piping, fittings and leak down test. I purchased my own fiberglass propane tank, stove, regulator, etc. and had items shipped to the propane business.
I, too, would not consider a trailer without propane.
Hope this clarifies for anyone just wondering how to get past the ALL ELECTRIC problem.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #74

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
No one I know is using either a weight distribution hitch or any kind of anti-sway equipment when towing their Oliver. It's just not needed. Even though this trailer is much heavier than the OP is looking for, it does have 78 inches of interior floor to ceiling height.

The new Oliver web site that will be going live in the next few days will have all the measurements and other stats.
Steve, need for a WDH is likely governed more by the tug capabilities and specs rather than the trailer specs. I think the Oliver's are great looking trailers, but I could definitely see a possibility that some tow vehicles pulling an Oliver could benefit from a WDH.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #75

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I am having trouble with my password and am unable to post so I have to ask my friend Steve to help me with posting, Thanks Steve!

Our position on weight distribution and anti-sway controls are, as mentioned above by others, dependent on many factors: The tow vehicles abilities and how the trailer is loaded to mention just a couple of factors. It is a safety issue that we highly recommend you consider very carefully. If you need it, Get it.

When we engineered the trailer weight distribution was a MAJOR factor to have the tongue weight come in around the 10 to 15 percent ratio of the total weight. Thus the reason why many consider it unnecessary but each configuration is different.

If requested there is no problem to accommodate any device a customer requires for their own safety measures.
Hope this helps.

Robert P. Partee
Oliver Travel Trailers
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #76

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
eggcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I have been on here about 6 months mostly reading advice. I am 4 years from retirement and just in planning stages of getting a camper for everything from short fishing trips to longer 6 month or longer trips when I retire. I would like to have my trailer in the next 2 years with some time for any modifications before I venture out to see the country and have to live in the trailer for several months at a time. I am sold on fiberglass trailer - #1 reason I want something light so I don't have to get a big heavy duty pickup truck. I'm a big guy - 6'4" and 280lbs. So in my research I have just about ruled out any fiberglass trailers beside the Egg Camper and the Lil Snoozy. Both appear to have enough headroom and bedroom - Egg is 6'7" inside and Lil Snoozy is 6"4". I like the Scamps and Casitas but just not enough headroom. Other brand names like Parkliner and Jayco just seem to be too heavy. I will spend some time in the mountains and having a small pickup or SUV is a must for me - I definitely want to save money by travelling light. I know nothing about RVs and not very mechanical. I have a few necessities I will have to have - good AC/heat, good bed, and Sat TV (travelling alone, sports fan, I will need TV access). Do fiberglass trailers stay warm in sub freezing temps? I won't go too extreme but could see myself in the Rockies in the fall.

I have really narrowed down to Egg Camper. Listed new $18,800 vs. Lil Snoozy for $19,000 but the Egg Camper has more options included in standard package vs. the Lil Snoozy. Lil Snoozy has features like microwave, awning, cable/Sat TV hookups, and more as extra features. The added cost of some of the features that the Egg Camper include as standard really make the Lil Snoozy price go up.

But I will also want some kind of generator to boondock sometimes. I am thinking I will need propane too if electric isn't available.

I would love to buy used, but MAN, I stay active on different sites and there just aren't Egg Campers or Lil Snoozys for sale.

I am very excited every time I think about retiring and hitting the road in my camper. #1 ambition is to travel the Pacific Coast Highway, then spend the winter in warm weather for my first winter.

I would certainly like to hear from owners of Egg Campers and Lil Snoozys or any other fiberglass trailer owners who can give me advice.

Mark, Ste. Genevieve, Missouri
Just a short note on propane use in an Eggcamper. The propane was an option in 2007 when I got mine. I bought the propane tank, the mount for it for the tongue of the trailer, the lines, the two burner cooktop, that mounted just about the refrigerator and installed it. You can have an RV place do it for you. It can easily be added if you do not want all electric. Takes a couple of hours.
weldon freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not build the trailer from scratch?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #78

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Why not build the trailer from scratch?
LOL.......................that's the only way to get the perfect trailer.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #79

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
LOL.......................that's the only way to get the perfect trailer.
Right...Scratch, and lots of it!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #80

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
I've been keeping an eye on craiglist and other RV for sale sites near MO - just nothing ever comes up for small fiberglass models. This site seems to be the best one for something I would be interested in. I have pretty much determined I will have to go with a used model. Just can't see paying $18 K plus for my purposes - heck I've never owned a new car and never will unless I win the lottery. I'm pretty confident I can make the modifications or find someone who can once I find something that fits my height and sleeping requirements. All the rest will be extras the way I look at it.

IF YOU ARE SENDING ME PERSONAL MESSAGES, I DON'T THINK I AM RECEIVING THEM ALL. SOME THINGS GET BLOCKED AS SPAM ON MY SCHOOL EMAIL.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy