Newbie from Northern Illinois - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1973 Argosy
Illinois
Newbie from Northern Illinois

Hi everyone from Northern Illinois, I have lurked on this site off and on for a year or so. I currently camp in a Jayco Popup and Tent with the Boy Scouts of America. I am also a 3 year member of Teardrops and tiny Travel trailers group forum. I like to get out of town with my Wife and 2 sons. Only get out a few times per year usually attending Car or Steam Shows in the area. I really like the fiberglass concept and the durability of them. I am looking to replace my popup since set up, tear down and then again for drying out after each outing is getting old like me!!! Before the popup I had a 1972 19' Nomad Travel trailer. I have camped for over 40 years starting out with my parents with a 1966 Puma pop up and 1966 Ford Galaxy in the early 70's. Thanks for having me, I look forward to reading and learning from the group. Bill
Bill618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome Bill,

There are several of us who live close by if you want to see what one of these looks like. We are in Oak Park with our VT although it is covered right now.

We use ours to camp when we go to the VW show at Effingham.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Welcome

Your background in camping is very similar to many of us and those who have made the switch to fiberglass are close to a "cult". If you hang out here you could certainly lay claim to having been brainwashed.

I made the jump to fiberglass based on this and other forums. I never stepped inside a fiberglass trailer until I took delivery of my unit. I do not have a single regret and six weeks of pleasurable camping this past year made it all worthwhile.

Best wishes in your search.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #4

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Welcome! What is a steam show?
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #5

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Illinois
Registry
If you are every passing through Bloomington, IL, you could drop in and look at our Scamp 16 Deluxe. We were tent campers for a long time and decide to go to fiberglass in 2008. We have lots of photos of the Scamp factory in MN, both before their fire and after their rebuild.

Welcome to the group.
BruceandMaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome Bill and family to FiberglassRV. Lots of good information provided by knowledgable members here and we love to share pictures! If you have questions, be sure to post them, there would be someone along shortly to answer up.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bill618...Our first camping experience was in a popup. Our toddler at the time fell thru the crack btwn. canvas and bed wing!!! That fixed that.
The next trip out and severe thunder storms during the nite. Three screaming soaked kids!!! That fixed that.
Next was a 40' MoHo. Stopped on the way out of town for a fillup. 220 ltrs. of gas. That fixed that.
We now enjoy every min. of time in "Our Escape Hatch". I've even learned to wash the dishes. That fixed that!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote