Newbie from the North - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Newbie from the North

Greetings from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada!

In 1964, my parents upgraded from a 9x12 canvas tent to a Hinsberger soft-top tent trailer. My wife and I inherited this unit in the 1980's. I rebuilt the rotten floor in the '90's. Now that the kids are all older and not spending as much time with Mom & Dad, the ol' trailer is a little unbalanced with the two of us sleeping on one side! That and general busy-ness have kept us from doing much camping for the last few years.

We both want to do more camping and travel, but now that we're in the last half of our 50's I'm tired of the setting up and tearing down, damp canvas, etc. Enter the small fiberglass RV. Found this site and with the infomation available, I was able to talk the bride into trying something a little different!

Went for a drive Sunday and visited a 1978 Trillium 4500 that was for sale in northern Alberta! In pretty good condition (not excellent, but original), we decided to give it a go. I'm going to drive up and pick it up tonight after work.

We're excited about the opportunity, and look forward to being part of this new community!
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  17.7 KB
Welcome Capn.Curt.Wiebe
This is one GREAT site for information.
Be sure to post pictures when you get your new toy.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV. WOW decide one day you want a fiberglass trailer and almost the next day buy a nice-conditioned used one? THAT nearly NEVER happens. Folks wait months and months for the perfect trailer for them to come up for sale.

I'm happy for you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome. Lots of Trillium owners here as you fix your new baby up. Tips from others who own something different work too.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Welcome to FiberglassRV. WOW decide one day you want a fiberglass trailer and almost the next day buy a nice-conditioned used one? THAT nearly NEVER happens. Folks wait months and months for the perfect trailer for them to come up for sale.

I'm happy for you
It didn't happen QUITE that fast - I've been thinking about this for some time. The bride has been expressing her desire to do more camping for years, although her summer weekends seem to be taken up by pipe band stuff.

Anyway, I was originally thinking about replacing the tent trailer with a new teardrop, then about using the tent trailer frame to build my own teardrop from scratch. That sounded like too much of a project, and then I started worying about being able to get dressed in the cramped space inside most teardrops (especially in another 5 - 10 years).

This got me thinking about other options, and that's when I found the Fiberglass RV site. Spent several days going through, shopping on-line, then communicating with our PO to arrange a visit.

The unit is original - original equipment, original flooring, original upholstery. My wife's reaction was OMG - the 70's! Yuck!

But supposedly everything works, and it will be mostly cleaning and refinishing. We both like projects, and we are getting excited about what we might be able to do with this.

And maybe attend some rallies to make sure we get out and use it, too!
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome to our happy family! and i assure you, very soon your bride will NOT look at your trillium and say yuck! (i know, it was only to the 70's interior)...she will soon be looking at it with love and she will not be content unless she is in it, camping! it becomes an addiction of sorts.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Welcome and congratulations! You are going to have fun making the trailer your own. I agree with the yuck!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #8

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Welcome

hi and welcome to a fellow edmontonian
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of the nicest and cleanest 70s Trilliums I've ever seen was one named Pistachio... think green and browns/beiges. It was lovely and the colors really fit when you think of camping in the woods... I'll see if I can find a picture, maybe your wife won't think the green is quite so 70s Ugly...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn.Curt.Wiebe View Post
The unit is original - original equipment, original flooring, original upholstery. My wife's reaction was OMG - the 70's! Yuck!
I liked the 70's! I had hair then...

Click image for larger version

Name:	High School.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	39726 Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1086.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	39725

THEN and NOW
Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome

To Captain Curt,
(How is the Enterprise NCC-1701 doing?)
We traveled the same road, only we went directly from tent camping to fiberglass. Of course we knew about stick built trailers, the world is full of them. But we didn't want such a huge trailer and the tow required to pull it. On our last tent campout, a couple pulled up towing a Casita 16' and it was love at first sight for us. A factor is we have a 2000 Subaru Outback which is limited to 2000 lbs towing and so a 13 footer is a good fit. I am too old and creaky to climb around fixing up a used trailer so we bought new and now I am climbing around, modifying our new Trillium!
We love our Homelet and wish we had found fiberglass years earlier!

To Fred the Scaleman: Yes, but the hair under your nose still grows!! LOL

"Farmer Brown
Who's bald on top
Wishes he could
Rotate the crop!
Burma Shave"

PS: You are not alone.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote