Newbie here ! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Currently shopping
Rhode Island
Newbie here !

Hi there, I'm currently researching, is there a difference between FG and the " Green " trailers ? I didn't know you had to order a new FG trailer either, so you can't just pick one off the lot like a stick built ! I wanted to make a move by summer of 2016, any advice will be appreciated.
Kim RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
"Green" is a mean-nothing word that is employed in marketing anything and everything. Our fiberglass trailers are also "Gluten-free".
Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Not sure that 'Green' trailers you are referring to? I'm not aware that the new FG trailers are being produced with any more 'green' production methodology than the rest of the mainstream RVs being manufactured.
With regards to lifestyle, many FG owners are opting for FG because it offers a smaller footprint as compared to the larger campers out on the market. Towing them tends to use less gas as a result. So I suppose that can be considered as green. Also many FG owners like to run on solar power, which can also be considered green as well.
Maybe you can clarify what you are looking for in a trailer? In all honesty, most FG owners get them because we just like them better!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Kim and Welcome the world of Fiberglass RV's (aka FGRV"s)

Why don't you give us a few tips about what you want to be doing next summer in terms of use and occupancy numbers, if you are only interested in new FGRG's, your approximate budget and what you will be towing with. This last item can be more controlling of what you might be looking at than all of the others.

Again, Welcome and be sure to ask lots of questions

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Kim!

While the actual manufacturing process used to make molded fiberglass probably doesn't qualify as "green," the end result is compatible with green values. First, as mentioned, their small size and light weight means less fuel used to pull them around (reduce). Second, they last so long that they are typically handed down through many owners (reuse).

Most molded fiberglass manufacturers sell direct-from-factory, so no, you can't just walk into a dealer and look at one. They offer something better (though perhaps not as convenient): they will refer you to an actual owner near you who will show you their trailer. Beats a salesman in my book. You can also visit a fiberglass egg rally and look at many different makes and models in one place. Many have a time set aside for "open house" tours.

Regardless of whether you look for a fiberglass trailer or something else, beware of manufacturers' dry weights. Actual loaded weights can be much higher. See the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section of the forum for more realistic data on molded fiberglass models. That, along with the towing information in your vehicle's owner's manual, will get you started in the right direction.

Best wishes in your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
You could start out here, olivertrailers.com and here Oliver Forums • Index page for a start. Of course this is starting at the high end but so is the quality.
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Fiberglass Travel Trailers are not only Gluten-Free they also are 100% Lactaid Free...low calorie too!
Most however are white but you might paint one green!

On a serious note...if you want to save some green you might start a serious search right now for a used unit...leave no stone unturned as these are not easy to find and do sell fast due to limited supply. Keep a constant daily check on web sites like craigslist and this website and local classifieds. You never know where one might turn up. Even ordering new will result in delays so don't wait until the last minute. Good Luck!

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote