newbie needs some info :) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #1

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
newbie needs some info :)

Hi,

I have health issues bc of mold, and I'm looking for a molded fiberglass trailer like Scamp or Casita. However, Scamp and Casita are nearly impossible to find, esp. new. I've heard of other companies, like "Oliver," but know nearly nothing about them.

Does anyone know of a good company that makes molded fiberglass trailers that are both mold proof, and largely free of chemicals (i.e., wouldn't take a long time to off gas)?

Feedback would be great, and thx for allowing me to join!!

Margaret
Lonely Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Hi,

I have health issues bc of mold, and I'm looking for a molded fiberglass trailer like Scamp or Casita. However, Scamp and Casita are nearly impossible to find, esp. new. I've heard of other companies, like "Oliver," but know nearly nothing about them.

Does anyone know of a good company that makes molded fiberglass trailers that are both mold proof, and largely free of chemicals (i.e., wouldn't take a long time to off gas)?

Feedback would be great, and thx for allowing me to join!!

Margaret
There is no such thing as a mold proof trailer. Mold grows on anything if there some type of dirt on the surface or else a host material. You can even get it on glass if the glass is not sparkling clean. You need three things for mold growth, some spores (they are pretty much every where), some type of food source for it (most any kind of dirt will do) and it likes to have a good drink too.

What you have to understand is how to prevent it from happening and then it does not matter so which fiberglass trailer you get. Most of the problem with mold is those people who don't know how to prevent it rather than the trailer itself. You could see a posting about someone having a lot of mold problems in a particular brand of trailer when it really was not the fault of how the trailer was built. It might simply have been the cause was a person using it who does not understand the basics of how not to have mold growing in a trailer. So start there and educate yourself on the basics of what not to do.

Largely free of chemicals? You had better talk to a company that will let you choose the cabinetry, flooring, cushions and fabrics. Then you pick what to put into it for those materials. You could also have an older trailer renovated by taking it down to the shell and then making all those choices. But your best bet might be to choose a model that has molded fiberglass for the cabinetry in a several years old model and then change out all the foam cushions, flooring and fabrics sourcing them from an eco, natural materials design company.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #3

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Indiana
Where are you located?
Julie N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Especially since you are in NC, I recommend giving Parkliner a call. The new owners are very friendly and flexible.
800-418-2120

Walt
Old 05-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You also have to worry about your own body. Also, completely composed of chemicals.

Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. Only about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

North Carolina
Response

Hi all,

Great responses. Walt P, I think you're right about the Parkliner.

Having said that, I've done extensive research on RVs which are least likely to mold, and the three usually mentioned are Scamp, Casita, and Camplite, the last bc of its all aluminum structure.

However, Camplite had a corporate takeover, and all their materials have changed. The manufacturer itself (assuming they would be open to changes) is too far from where I live.

I'm about to research Airstream . . . .

Thanks!!! Margaret
Old 05-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You also have to worry about your own body. Also, completely composed of chemicals.

Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. Only about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium.
Glen Baglo,

I actually tested positive for mold, by blood and urine (Penicillium Notatum).

And my immune system isn't so good either.

M
Old 05-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
There is no such thing as a mold proof trailer. Mold grows on anything if there some type of dirt on the surface or else a host material. You can even get it on glass if the glass is not sparkling clean. You need three things for mold growth, some spores (they are pretty much every where), some type of food source for it (most any kind of dirt will do) and it likes to have a good drink too.

What you have to understand is how to prevent it from happening and then it does not matter so which fiberglass trailer you get. Most of the problem with mold is those people who don't know how to prevent it rather than the trailer itself. You could see a posting about someone having a lot of mold problems in a particular brand of trailer when it really was not the fault of how the trailer was built. It might simply have been the cause was a person using it who does not understand the basics of how not to have mold growing in a trailer. So start there and educate yourself on the basics of what not to do.

Largely free of chemicals? You had better talk to a company that will let you choose the cabinetry, flooring, cushions and fabrics. Then you pick what to put into it for those materials. You could also have an older trailer renovated by taking it down to the shell and then making all those choices. But your best bet might be to choose a model that has molded fiberglass for the cabinetry in a several years old model and then change out all the foam cushions, flooring and fabrics sourcing them from an eco, natural materials design company.
Great response K Corbin.

Some RVS apparently are largely free of chemicals. Others have fewer chemicals. Regardless, all have to be off gassed. I'm just looking for the ones with as few chemicals as possible. It used to be that Camplite used almost no glues, styrofoam insulation, and aluminum, so it was recommended until it changed hands. But some of the fiberglass campers are recommended, hence my presence on this forum! Margaret
Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Margaret, you said "are recommended"... I'm curious. Looks like you have done some research into what might be called "hypoallergenic" RVs. What is your source for the recommendations? Which molded fiberglass manufacturers did they specifically name? What other manufacturers, besides Camplite, were singled out?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Margaret, you said "are recommended"... I'm curious. Looks like you have done some research into what might be called "hypoallergenic" RVs. What is your source for the recommendations? Which molded fiberglass manufacturers did they specifically name? What other manufacturers, besides Camplite, were singled out?
Jon, I've done extensive research.

Erik Johnson and Lisa Petrison wrote a book about mold illness, and they recommend living in a mold free camper and getting rid of most of your stuff, until you feel better again. You're supposed to keep the camper completely clean and mold free. To avoid cross contamination, in the beginning, they suggest taking a shower before you step into the camper.

This is for pretty bad illness. Anyway, they suggest metal (aluminum) and fiberglass. The old Camplite (before the corporate takeover) was supposed to be one of the best. They also mention Scamp, Casita, and/or retrofitting a box truck (the last of which I'm not going to do!).

Thx., Margaret