Newbie rebuilding Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Newbie rebuilding Scamp 13

Hey everyone,
The Wife and I and 2 of our adult kids went camping this year for the first time in 16 years. We had a great time but I had forgotten how sleeping bags and I don’t get along and the wife was worried all night that a bear was going to drag us out of the tent. I started looking for a small camper and ran across this web site. I ended up buying the $1100 13’ Scamp that was in Missouri a few weeks ago. It was originally owned by the Branson Mo Police Department. Its going to pretty much take a total rebuild. The glass parts, ensolite (?) sink, side windows and frame are ok but it will need about every thing else.
I was real happy to find this site with all the friendly helpful people. I’ve been reading through the forums and have learned a lot already. I’m sure I’ll have some questions and hopefully I’ll be able to contribute.
BOBco.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00946.jpg   DSC00944.jpg  

DSC00952.jpg   1110121731-00.jpg  

BOBco. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Bob,
Welcome to the forum. We do expect photos of your progress. Looks like the unit has sagged some also. You might want to check on that. You might need to do some frame work. Good luck with the project.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
HI Bob, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

Looks like your new-to-you rollin' home has good bones! Best of luck on the rebuild. This will be fun to follow along on your endeavor.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Bob,
Welcome to the forum. We do expect photos of your progress. Looks like the unit has sagged some also. You might want to check on that. You might need to do some frame work. Good luck with the project.
Hi Gene,
A new axle is one of the things it needs. I'm not going to tackle that untill next spring. It fits through my garage door by 1" now.
Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #5

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
HI Bob, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

Looks like your new-to-you rollin' home has good bones! Best of luck on the rebuild. This will be fun to follow along on your endeavor.

Thanks Donna,
Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBco. View Post
Hi Gene,
A new axle is one of the things it needs. I'm not going to tackle that untill next spring. It fits through my garage door by 1" now.
Bob

Good plan. When you replace the axle, think about adding brakes - very nice to have and not expensive.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #7

Kansas
I've removed most of the ugly from the trailer. The sealing of the escape hatch was comical. It looked like the PO stood on top of the trailer and just dropped caulk on it. There was white stuff, yellow stuff, black stuff, beige stuff and some stuff that was hard as a rock.
Bob
Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #8

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBco. View Post
Hi Gene,
Bob
Hi Bob,
Yep, better to wait on the axle. I replaced the axle on my '84 and it raised it up 3 inches as least. I kept tripping going into and out of the trailer for the first couple days. But it travels and pulls much better now.

Good luck on your redo! Keep posting pics!

Take care,
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Welcome to the forum.

Wow, 1100 bucks how can you go wrong.

It even has an A/C, what a deal.

Show us some interior photos when you have time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Hey Bob,
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your little gem. This is an exciting prospect, keep us all posted with pics.

Cat
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Welcome Bob. I just replace my 13' Scamp axle, and needed to swap out my normal tire/wheels with just 8" rims (no tires) from a golf cart (4 bolt pattern)
in order to winch the trailer into our garage with a 7' door opening (works great). Good luck, and post pictures of your work.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #12

Kansas
Thanks every one,
I have everything removed from inside the trailer except for the closet. all the windows and vent also removed. AC and custom brackets where thrown in the trash. Now its decision time. Found some rot in the wood that the front bunk screws to up on the wall and the floor below it. Could be patched but I may just replace it all. Dont like the chip board plywood that was used.
I do plan on getting brakes when I replace the axle.
I'll start another post in owners helping owners.
Bob

Tags
scamp