Newbie to RV world - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I am perplexed by those(present company excepted of course) who are more concerned about being sued than being safe...
Not much to be perplexed over Floyd, some are simple concerned equally with both.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not much to be perplexed over Floyd, some are simple concerned equally with both.
True... being paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Let's keep this thread focused on the OP's search for a trailer that will meet his 'shopping list' of under #2000 weight, with separate beds, and a bath with shower.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #18

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
I appreciate the moderator wanting us to stay on topic, but I hope she will indulge a related quick trip down memory lane. Google "tow camper 1960s" then click on "images" and scan down to look at what all those brave souls of "the greatest generation" drove and towed to take their baby boom families on family vacations back in the day. My wife is the youngest of four, and she and her family still talk about the Summer of 1971 when all 6 of them piled into a Chevy station wagon and towed a 24(?) foot Franklin camper trailer from West Virginia to California and back taking in all the tourist sites along the way. Great family memories. And none of them recall worrying about gross vehicle weights and such. Those were the days....
Dale
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #19

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Yes. War Eagle, we have many times been down that memory lane of older cars being able to tow behemoth trailers of gargantuan weights without spilling a drop of transmission fluid on the highway.... we just can't go there now.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Ah the days of Rose Colored Glasses. Big ole trailers, Big ole tugs.. made of steel, got crappy gas mileage.. but, fuel was 28-32 cents a gallon. Road were two lanes and slow maximum speeds. A whole lot fewer vehicles on the road.... Weren't those days wonderful? Now only a memory. Fast forward to today and all the things now....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #21

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Pam, did you notice you have a 1985 U Haul and you've posted 1985 times?!
OK...back to the topic 😎
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ah the days of Rose Colored Glasses. Big ole trailers, Big ole tugs.. made of steel, got crappy gas mileage.. but, fuel was 28-32 cents a gallon. Road were two lanes and slow maximum speeds. A whole lot fewer vehicles on the road.... Weren't those days wonderful? Now only a memory. Fast forward to today and all the things now....
Why you spring chicken you.
Gas was 20-22 cents a gallon.
And there were only two cars on the road.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Carl, I remember gas wars... with fuel (Ethel) down to 15 cents a gallon. Sigh. But, that's not what the OP was asking about
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Yep. Society is so confusing today.............LOL
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #25

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Cruising this site as I have SO many questions I would like answered (new to the forum and brand new owners of Trillium) and can't seem to find info on ripping up carpet in our Trillium to replace with cushion floor advice, and wondering if a Ford Escape would be a recommended vehicle to tow our 13' Trillium?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #26

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
Cruising this site as I have SO many questions I would like answered (new to the forum and brand new owners of Trillium) and can't seem to find info on ripping up carpet in our Trillium to replace with cushion floor advice, and wondering if a Ford Escape would be a recommended vehicle to tow our 13' Trillium?
...A little 1.8L, 4 cylinder Toyota Matrix is pulling an...extensive modified 1300Trillium in one of its' camping trips(before paint job) without a problem...As long as it falls within towing specs, it would be OK. I would recommend a stronger towing vehicle on the ...far away trips. One of my farthest trip with Toyota Matrix as towing vehicle was a..500kilometer one way, but it will be...within speed limit of HW and a little struggle on up hill....( TRAILER HAS ITS' OWN ELECTRIC BRAKES, THOUGH)....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG680.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
A shower inside the trailer adds weight. Hot water tank plus its 25 - 48 pounds of water in it, and it uses a lot of space. Making you second bed a problem.

So maybe think outside the camper "box".

There are tall phone booth sized tents with loose weave floor that drains, many people set those up to use as a shower. This would move the shower outside. Some of these are specifically designed for use as a shower stall.

Many options exist for portable showers. Ranging from 2 liter soft drink bottle(s) with small holes drilled in the cap, left out in the sun to warm at the low end all the way to portable propane powered water heaters with 12 volt pumps.

Depending on your daughters age a small tent outside the camper could provide a place for a bed allowing for a shower inside a smaller campers closer to your weight range. In a pinch your daughter could use the pad and sleeping bag from the tent right on the floor, provided she fits in that space. Crowded but if one arrives at campground in the rain and wants to avoid setting up tent until weather clears....

It has been noted by many in reviews that these "shower" tents can not generally support the weight of solar shower bags commonly sold as camping equipment being hung from the ceiling.

Have to ask yourself how much use will you make of the sleeping accommodations for daughter vs. how much use will you make of the shower. And your comfort level with using a rustic solution.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
With a very small trailer with 2000 lb weight limits the shower is useless. You dont carry enough water and have limited drain capasicty so your camping in areas that have water and sewer hook-ups anyway. Almost everyplace that has these ammities have shower facilities so you dont need it in your trailer. Most people that have to have a shower wont camp in the boonies anyway and if they would they are open to rural methods of clean up. Step up the tow rig and get a bigger trailer or enjoy the smaller trailer for what it is. I love my 13 foot trailer with no toilet or shower just a portapottie. I would hate it if 1/3 of the trailer was permanatly wasted for facilities that you dont need making you feel like your living inside a match box.