Newbie with questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Newbie with questions

First, Happy Mothers Day to all the ladies who helped us become the people we've become and the ones who've been our partners in raising wonderful children to carry on our legacies.

I've just found your site and have started sifting through posts. I am now at the point where things are getting REAL for a purchase as I'm retiring soon and we'd like to get a fiberglass camper to possibly ease into full-timing. We've looked at all the options that we know of; Casita, Scamp, Escape, ParkLiner, Oliver and Airstream Nest. The last two on the list are NOT in our price range and I'm probably least interested in the ParkLiner. I'm hoping to make a purchase in the next 12-18 months and am trying to sort through the pros and cons of each. I'd appreciate hearing from folks regarding their firsthand experience with the various brands/models.

A bit of background, we've camped for 40+ years tenting, popup, and bumper tow camper. We currently have no camper and I have a new Toyota 4Runner (5,000lb tow capacity) as a TV. For the next 5 years we will have one child that will have to factor into the floorpan payload. After that it will just be my wife and me. Look forward to hearing from folks about their ideas on this. If there are threads on this that I've missed please don't flame me, a friendly link would be helpful.

Best regards
Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Dave!

First thought is a Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe model. Lots out there at a variety of price points, good fit for your tow vehicle, and the separate side dinette gives you the extra berth you need. Scamp makes a similar 16' side dinette model, but the main bed is pretty narrow for two (45" versus 54"). If you can handle that, it's the lightweight option.

An Escape 17' also fits the bill, and the Escape 19' would give you more space if you plan longer trips at some point. You might even look at the Escape 21', but in my opinion you'd be getting uncomfortably close to the limits of your vehicle. Escapes are a bit pricier (new or used) and harder to find. If you're shopping new, Escapes are Canadian-made and the current exchange rate favors US buyers.

A useful forum resource is the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World, a database of actual loaded weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #3

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
We were budget and tow vehicle conscious, needed a bathroom, and wanted bunk beds for our grandkids. We purchased a 16 foot Scamp, layout 4, and we don’t regret it at all. The only drawback is the narrow bed but we solved that by extending the bed into the galley area, making it into a V berth. Probably the things we love most are all the countertop space and how easy it is to tow.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Welcome Dave. I would suggest that you look up Rally information and attend one. Most rally's have a open house day so you can see and experience all kinds. Even if you show up and it's not open house day most of us will still allow you to see our rigs because we are proud of them. The most important thing for me was will I fit because I'm tall. If your 6'5" tall you might have a problem.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
The Scamp 16 Deluxe has the option of a larger bed. Depending on where you are there is probably someone that would let you have a look at their trailer. As previously mentioned a rally is the best place to look at trailers. Welcome to the forum.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:51 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Missouri
Thanks for the responses. I see that there is a rally in Kansas in September I may try to make it there. Ive never seen any of the rigs in person so sounds like a great opportunity.
Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It sounds like you are sleeping 3 adult sized people. You will have to take some measurements of that 3rd person. I use my tow vehicle as a second bedroom as it is nice to have some individual privacy in such situations. So don't factor out that optional sleeping plan in your search since it is just for a short time that you need that 3rd adult size sleeping spot.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #8

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Welcome Dave, Hope that you are able to get to a Rally. Or if you camp a lot, you will sometimes see one at a campsite. Never hurts to talk to someone, they will usually be happy to visit about what they have, why they choose it, and what they might do different. Remember also that there are many ways to get to the same place, and there are different needs for lots of different kind of people. If you are handy, sometimes it works well to get one that needs a little work, and then make it fit what you want -- there are a lot of threads out that are doing that -- see the mods forum for the kinds of changes people make.

Also, when you come to the point where you have an idea, remember that new is 8-12 months or more out, and used sometimes sell very fast, especially if they are priced really well.

Good Luck.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote