Newbies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Currently Shopping
alberta
Newbies

Hello all,

We are new to the travel trailer world but not new the out doors. We are avid back country campers and have been so for decades. Two small children in the family has brought us into the market for a light weight travel trailer that will allow us to continue on with our love of the out doors until the kids are big enough to carry a back country pack. We are blessed to live in the wild east Kootenays of British Columbia, Canada where the wilderness is vast and the fly fishing is spectacular. I'm interested in any input form folks who are more knowledgeable than I when it comes to these light weight trailers. I would like:
-something with two beds to sleep four people.
-A strong frame for logging roads and trail use.
-Ground clearance for those same roads.

I have a solid skill when it comes to fabricating, welding and carpentry so I could modify the frame and raise the ground clearance if need be. I'm looking around the 17' Bigfoot line(or Boler!) right now.

Am I off base with this model? It will towed into the back country with my Toyota Land Cruiser?

Thanks in advance

Dave
audaciousduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Dave, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

I'll leave the particulars to those in the know about the 17' Bigfoot and/or Land Cruiser. I too will be interested to read the responses.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:31 AM   #3

alberta
Thanks,

I love Portland by the way. We've done the Oregon coast twice. Very nice place to live.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

alberta
Picked One

well,

We ended up with a 1980's vintage 17' Boler as the big foot was well, too big. This Boler already has leaf springs which is ok as I'll just do a spring over conversion and add a tire that is three inches bigger in diameter for another inch and a half clearance. It's in usable condition as right now but needs a new water tank and the current one appears to have met with a large rock. The furnace is long gone as well. Other than that it needs some sprucing up and the windows resealed. I'm currently looking for a source for the water tank and the furnace but not having much luck. Worst case I'll have a friend of mine build me a water tank out of stainless steel which will save me fabricating a skid plate. I'd fabricate it but my TIG welds look like bird poop compared to my MIG welding. If anyone knows a source for a furnace and water tank I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
3506j55_20-1.jpeg   65221n4_20.jpeg  

Old 08-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My, that didn't take you long. Found one already! Congratulations.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable buying a used RV furnace; if it were developing a hole in the wrong spot the CO could be deadly. But that's just me. A new one can be purchased from any RV dealer or RV supply place.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #6

alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My, that didn't take you long. Found one already! Congratulations.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable buying a used RV furnace; if it were developing a hole in the wrong spot the CO could be deadly. But that's just me. A new one can be purchased from any RV dealer or RV supply place.
If they are available new thats the rout I will go. Are the water tanks available new as well?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1300
Registry
If it is the grey water tank that you need, check out this post: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-42020.html
Willy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #8

alberta
Thanks Willy R,

Ordered the water tank this morning with the help of your link. I'll fab up a skid plate when I install it.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: currently shopping
British Columbia
Audacious, in what way was the Bigfoot too big? And if you don't mind telling me, what'd you pay for it (maybe PM me?)? I ask because I've just started looking for a trailer and so I'm interested in the sell prices for anything in the range of trailers I'm looking at.

(You might've been to my website before: bc4x4.com)

...lars
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #10

alberta
Hello Lars,

The Bigfoot was taller and wider than the Boler. I likely have been to the BC4x4 site at one point or another. I'll PM you with the sticker price.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #11

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Wow, that was fast. A new trailer in 5 days! Perfect size for the family.
Enjoy!
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by audaciousduo View Post
well,

We ended up with a 1980's vintage 17' Boler as the big foot was well, too big. This Boler already has leaf springs which is ok as I'll just do a spring over conversion and add a tire that is three inches bigger in diameter for another inch and a half clearance. It's in usable condition as right now but needs a new water tank and the current one appears to have met with a large rock. The furnace is long gone as well. Other than that it needs some sprucing up and the windows resealed. I'm currently looking for a source for the water tank and the furnace but not having much luck. Worst case I'll have a friend of mine build me a water tank out of stainless steel which will save me fabricating a skid plate. I'd fabricate it but my TIG welds look like bird poop compared to my MIG welding. If anyone knows a source for a furnace and water tank I'd appreciate the information.

Thanks
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #12

Name: Larry
Trailer: currently shopping
British Columbia
Thanks for the info. We looked at a Boler and a Lil Bigfoot yesterday. We also came across a 16' Casita (out of town) that might be even better for us, although I'm partial to the lighter weight of the 13' trailers. What sets this particular Casita apart from the other trailers of its size range is that it doesn't appear to have a bathroom, thereby making that extra 3' more useful to us. Still waiting to get more info from the owner, though.

Best of luck on your new trailer!

...lars
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:01 PM   #13

alberta
Nice! Good luck with the purchase.

Dave
Old 08-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #14

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Congrats and Welcome! Looks lovely! I'm a newbie too, unfortunately I am not as talented as you and turns out my Lil Darlin' needs some work. It will be a slow process for me. Prepare for the inevitable obsession!
Quote:
Originally Posted by audaciousduo View Post
well,

Thanks
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote