Newbies- looking to buy and need some help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Name: Beth
Trailer: in the market
Michigan
Newbies- looking to buy and need some help

Hello! We are former tent campers who upgraded about 12 years ago to our cute little 1986 Coleman Colorado popup. We love it and haven't really thought about moving up to a trailer until this past year. We have started to extend our camping season from April through October now and have experienced much more rain. We don't mind camping in it but dislike having to deal with wet canvas after our trips. We started looking at light weight trailers and have found that most of them would exceed our 2000 lb towing capacity. Also, we camp to be outdoors. A lot of the small trailers sacrifice windows for cabinets. After a lot of research we think that a fiberglass RV is the best choice for us. We really like the Trilliums because of the windows and found an old 13' one (with a bathroom!) on this site for $2750 here in Michigan. We are trying to coordinate with the owner to see it tomorrow. The problem is he never got it titled. It has been sitting on his property and used as his cabin since he bought it. He says he can provide a bill of sale and we can get it titled with the Secretary of State. All travel trailers have to be titled in MI. Title transfer is required but I did find an exception for trailers older than 10 years and less than 2500 lbs where you can attest as to how you came to own it and provide an appraisal and the State would title it if a search came back clean for being stolen or titled in another state. Is this going to be a huge problem for us? This is the first FGRV that we have looked at. Maybe we should keep looking for one without title issues? What say you experts?
babv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
My suggestion would be to go visit the MI DMV with the seller, if possible. However, he may face old fees so he may not want to do this. Perhaps he would hold the trailer for a deposit while you check out the title process with the state. If MI won't title it, then get your deposit back.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I agree that it could be a problem. If it's that easy to title, why doesn't the seller just first get a title before trying to sell it.

BUT.... at a good price and with at least fair condition, it could be a buy at, say $1000.....

As for me... no title = no deal except as a parts source.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Beth go buy it as fast as you can if you like it.
I buy and sell trailer all the time. I live here in Michigan.
Believe me when I say this, you will have no problem getting a title for that trailer. You don't even need a bill of sale. You will need to get it weighed.
Go to your local gravel pit or truck stop. $5 bucks.
You will need to pay 6% sales tax! title fee an $75.00 for permanent plate.
If you change your mine PM me, I'll go get it.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

Name: Beth
Trailer: in the market
Michigan
Thank you for all of your quick responses and advice! I appreciate the caution because I don't want a trailer I can't register. However, I really want this trailer. mszabo has given me all the convincing I need to buy it if we like it. Here's hoping that the owner responds to my email and we can take a trip to see it tomorrow.
babv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Beth, Have you gone into the bath room and closed the door? If it is what I call a front 1/4 bath, it is very small. I know this, because I own one. The daughter that I will give it to is very small, so it might work for her. I could never use that bath room. We carry a portapoty in the Trillium 4500 that we use for the family.
On the road, the trailer becomes the bath room, and at our camp site, we have a shower / bathroom tent.
Broadstone Privacy Shelter | Canadian Tire

Combined with the Coleman on demand water heater, it makes a good bathroom.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote