Newby - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Newby

Hi all,
I'm Tony and new to the site. I am in the market for a fiberglass RV. I am looking at the Scamp 5th wheeler. I am interested in anything any former or current owners have to say about the unit, parts, customer service, etc..
Thanks,
Tony
TCMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Welcome. Tony! Those Scamp 5ers are great. Some owners will be along.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Tony, welcome to FiberglassRV

If you're looking at purchasing a Scamp 5th wheel, I think you'd be happy with your decision.

Years ago, when I was looking at my retirement travels, the Scamp 5er was at the top of my list. At the time, it was the only all-molded towable 5er still currently built. Bigfoot lost their molds (all) because of a fire, and the Quantum had only built about 4 of the all molded towables before they folded.

Then Escape starting building an all molded towable 5er. It seems to always be the wrong time for me, too little money, to far from retirement. Then in 2013, Escape put out a new build. A tandem axle 5er. SWOON! It was still too early... I'm still several years from retirement, but I remember ALF... who purchased an Escape 5.0 classic used. You can always make more money, but you cannot make more time.

I bit the bullet and turned myself into a pretzel to buy Ten Forward. My Escape 5.0TA is everything I had hoped for and more. May you find the perfect trailer for you and I hope you are as happy with your decision as I am with mine.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Tony. My wife and I own a Scamp 5er. We actually down sized from a 36' stick built 5er with 3 slides. We love our Scamp and the hardest part for us was the down sizing. I wish we would've started out with the Scamp. Good luck with your search. Keep checking this site for ones for sale. Also check Craigslist and your local area for sale. I actually found my one owner Scamp through a local listing. Some how it had been for sale for three months with no interest. When I found it I took off work the next day and drove six hours for the purchase.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at both Scamp and Casita. I see things I like about both. I'm leaning toward the scamp but I have one question that I'm worried about. The furnace? How hot does the front of the furnace get? I noticed that on the Casita's that the furnace is located under the stove directly next to the dinette. When the dinette is made into a bed its next to the furnace. Would a blanket or pillow inadvertently knocked against the vent catch fire? The Scamp 16' deluxe floor plan A has the furnace more centered in the camper under the closet. It's not close to the bed. Thanks in advance for replying.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site, it's great to have you here.

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #7

Texas
Donna, If things go as planned I hope to retire in 13 to 15 years. I'll take a look at the Escapes. Thanks. Papa-T, I used to own a 32' that I lived in during my divorce a few years ago. I enjoyed the simplicity of the life style and am really looking forward to my next RV.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The front of the furnace is no issue. This is a hot air furnace. The flame is enclosed in steel and separated from the hot air.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote