Newby to site - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 1073 Lovebug
Virginia
Newby to site

Hi. I'm Rhonda. Just bought a 1973 Lovebug. I am gutting it and any advice would be helpful. I am looking for windows for it, front, back, 2 sides. Also decided to pull insulation out because of leaky windows and mildew. This will not affect the structure...correct? Also need a 3 burner stove, fridge and nice cushions. Please lead me in the right direction.
rhondabragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Rhonda!

A good set of pictures of your new treasure, inside and out, would help a lot with recommendations.

I'm assuming the insulation is Ensolite, a spongy foam with a textured vinyl surface… A lot can be done to save it, and replacing it with something else is a big job. Since it is closed cell foam, the mildew is only on the surface, so it can be cleaned up. Loose sections can be reglued, gaps can be filled with latex caulk and textured to match, and the whole thing can be painted. I'd recommend at least trying to save it before you tear it out. The insulation is not structural, but it is important for controlling temperature, noise, light, and condensation. Bare fiberglass walls you do not want!

Operable windows can usually be removed, cleaned up, and reinstalled with new butyl and be as good as new. The only one(s) that sometimes need to be replaced are the fixed plexiglass window(s) in the front and (in some eggs) the back.

Before anything else, make sure your running gear is up to par (tires, bearings, axle, brakes, frame, and lights).

Best wishes with your new project!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Pictures! We love pictures. Add me to the list that says clean and fix the ensolite rather than try to find something to replace it.

Stuff is really tough, can be cleaned very well. I recall reading that it was originally designed for NASA.

Mine was shades of grey with mold or mildew splotches. LA Totally Awesome cleaner, scrub brush, some rags and a rinse bucket (lots or rinse buckets actually) took care of that. Wife pronounced it clean which is good enough for me. Dog and I think it is good would be a couple of steps below that level.

Every window was a bit "rain challenged" in one way or another. Took awhile to figure out each issue, along with pulling the windows out and replacing the butyl tape putty that they are bedded into that seals them to body. It can take some time and detective work but it is soooo worth it in the end.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Windows and axle are several of the items that are the most expensive to replace. WE can help you! Don't gut AND throw out before asking for help... we're here to help

OMG don't remove the insulation just yet...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote