Newcastle Washington here. Just bought 74 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: boler
Washington
Newcastle Washington here. Just bought 74 Boler

Hello everyone[emoji112] wife and I just bought a 1974 Boler interior in pieces and ensolight stuff removed. Tips on insulation in PNW greatly appreciated. Recovering from buying so might be a while tell I can afford stuff. I’m thinking 1/8 inch neoprene foam with contact cement then some sort of fabric/rug?
Began72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Maybe Pond Liner would be a cheaper way to go as a base.
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Do a search on this site. I recall recommendations for gluing materials to fibreglass and that contact cement wasn't one of them. In the heat of summer the contact cement failed.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by omache27 View Post
Maybe Pond Liner would be a cheaper way to go as a base.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Do a search on this site. I recall recommendations for gluing materials to fibreglass and that contact cement wasn't one of them. In the heat of summer the contact cement failed.

Thank you I will look
Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #6

Name: Sheila
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Began72 View Post
Hello everyone[emoji112] wife and I just bought a 1974 Boler interior in pieces and ensolight stuff removed. Tips on insulation in PNW greatly appreciated. Recovering from buying so might be a while tell I can afford stuff. I’m thinking 1/8 inch neoprene foam with contact cement then some sort of fabric/rug?
Hi! I have a 72 Boler and having done some renos and research I found that it is the closed cell foam recommended the most. Having searched for a NOT expensive type that I don't have to order from the states in an amount that would cover an ice hockey arena ... someone suggested I try the foam from a yoga mat. It is closed cell foam, and it was PERFECT to cover the areas I needed covering. I cut to measure and applied it with a mastic that I got from Cdn Tire in a small can. Once I painted it with a latex white, it was almost invisible to others unless I called attention to it. I think since you are starting with a stripped interior, I would gather enough of the mats of the same type, and take your time. Hope this helpful to you. Sheila
Sheilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilaa View Post
Hi! I have a 72 Boler and having done some renos and research I found that it is the closed cell foam recommended the most. Having searched for a NOT expensive type that I don't have to order from the states in an amount that would cover an ice hockey arena ... someone suggested I try the foam from a yoga mat. It is closed cell foam, and it was PERFECT to cover the areas I needed covering. I cut to measure and applied it with a mastic that I got from Cdn Tire in a small can. Once I painted it with a latex white, it was almost invisible to others unless I called attention to it. I think since you are starting with a stripped interior, I would gather enough of the mats of the same type, and take your time. Hope this helpful to you. Sheila

Thanks for the tips I’ve actually pondered if any had used those lol. That’s awesome it worked for you. I might go that way put right now I’m thinking of carpet mat.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Weldwood contact cement works great for gluing in headliner material. I am not sure why people think it is not heat resistant. This glue type is the automotive industry standard that has been used for headliners with foam backing as well securing the padded landau foam for over half a century.

When you see a failure the issue is not the contact glue but instead the failure comes from what material they used for the headliner. For instance if someone used standard marine vinyl from a fabric store source. That type of vinyl is not meant to be glued and it indeed will fall down off the walls or ceilings as soon as the weather warms up. You do need to source a material that is specifically proven to be suitable for gluing with contact cement in vertical and overhead areas.

If you don't think this glue sticks to the fiberglass like...well glue then just talk to any of us project renovators of fiberglass trailers who have gone through many sweaty hours of trying to get that residual of that stuff off the walls and ceilings.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Began72 View Post
Neoprene foam is both too heavy and too expensive. Get some Landau foam instead. It is a closed cell EVA foam. It insulates and helps sound proof as well. Landau foam is the stuff they use for padding on the tops of cars that have that soft padded roof. You can get it from automotive suppliers of interior materials. It sticks to fiberglass just fine using Weldwood contact cement, they stuff sell in cans at the hardware store. As to topping it with a fabric or rug type of material just be sure to get a small sample and then test it to be sure you don't get glue bleed through.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #10

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It is important when you use adhesives that you read and follow instructions. For instance Weldon traditional contact cement has been for many years the industry standard and it is high temperature resistant. However you have to let it cure at least 72 hours before exposing it to temperatures that are over 150 degrees. So if you were to put in headliner on a 90 degree day and then have the trailer left sitting in direct sun that day and for several days after you might indeed have failure. It is not the fault of the adhesives that people don't read and follow the installation instructions.

That kind of thing is one of the issues with getting advice from newbie DIY folks, sometimes they just don't do the job the right way and then they blame it on the products telling the world that the product is no good when it is actually very good stuff.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #11

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
It is important when you use adhesives that you read and follow instructions. For instance Weldon traditional contact cement has been for many years the industry standard and it is high temperature resistant. However you have to let it cure at least 72 hours before exposing it to temperatures that are over 150 degrees. So if you were to put in headliner on a 90 degree day and then have the trailer left sitting in direct sun that day and for several days after you might indeed have failure. It is not the fault of the adhesives that people don't read and follow the installation instructions.

That kind of thing is one of the issues with getting advice from newbie DIY folks, sometimes they just don't do the job the right way and then they blame it on the products telling the world that the product is no good when it is actually very good stuff.

Wow thanks so much I’ve used constant cement as a professional remodeler hundreds of laminate counters and I agree with everything you say. I have just heard so many what seems like good ideas I didn’t trust my own knowledge. I am totally going with landau foam and then some fabric after I do some test samples for bleed through.

Tags
boler