Noisy A/C - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Noisy A/C

I have a 2016 16' Scamp and the A/C is very noisy. Actually it's impossible to sleep with it on.

I have read various posts on the subject. I recall one that referred to a fix for Coleman A/Cs whereby a kit was available to reduce the noise.

Does anyone else know of a fix for a noisy Dometic A/C?

Larry Linderman
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Is the noise normal or is it something like the fan striking the shroud or something?...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #3

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Have you checked to see if it a problem common to the particular model? It could be a design failure. One thing about the internet, people will point out failures and remedies.

If it is a fairly new development, is it...
a) that the unit or a component inside has vibrated loose
b) there is a foreign object lodged inside it somewhere
c) always noisy when the entire unit runs, or is it just the blower (could be bearings failing)
d) drawing a lot more amps than usual (motors failing)

The first tools to use will be your eyes and ears. If it makes it to your nose, it's already burnt.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by llinderman View Post
I have a 2016 16' Scamp and the A/C is very noisy. Actually it's impossible to sleep with it on.

I have read various posts on the subject. I recall one that referred to a fix for Coleman A/Cs whereby a kit was available to reduce the noise.

Does anyone else know of a fix for a noisy Dometic A/C?

Larry Linderman
Dometic sells an anti-vibration damper kit which consists of some rubber bushings that go under the compressor mounts, some small foam blocks, and some zip ties. It runs about 20 bucks. But, if your unit is a 2016, it may already have the kit installed, since Dometic started doing that a few years back.

I'm afraid it's the nature of the Dometic units, combined with being mounted directly on a thin fiberglass roof. They're all noisy. You might be able to reduce the noise somewhat by wrapping the compressor in some fiberglass insulation, followed by a wrap of rubber sheeting, and then using some sort of rubber bushings or foam blocks along the pressure lines leading to the compressor to keep them from moving. Some have done so and achieved about a 5dB noise reduction. But, you really can't do anything about the roar from the air. The only reasonably quiet roof mounted units these days are the ones that are ducted, and you won't find those on a single hull fiberglass trailer.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I sleep like a baby parked between running semi trucks in a rest area.
I think the answer is to train yourself to ignore those sounds which are normal and expected.
When I worked night turnarounds I would place a noisy but consistent fan next to my bed to make "white noise" which would cover the sounds of traffic outside or activities inside the house. It worked well and I came to depend on the fan for a full day's sleep.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Your problem is solved, for $300 bucks. Yes, it's not cheap, but IT WORKS!!!
I installed one of these in my rooftop A/C and now you can't even hear it cycle on. Before I installed this thing, the whole trailer would shudder and it was really loud. Now it's whisper quiet. I have a Polar Cub A/C unit, but they can be retrofitted to just about any A/C unit on an RV or trailer.

Do not confuse this with a "Hard Start" capacitor. That is totally different, and doesn't work at all like this thing does.

It all depends on what peace and quiet is worth to you.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 AM   #7

Name: Larry
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Noisy A/C

Casita Greg,

I spoke to Roger about the Easy Start you recommended. He said it only reduces the noise of the start-up, when the A/C is running it cuts out completely. Perhaps you misunderstood my post which is about the roar coming from the A/C while running, not just starting.

Larry Linderman
llinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Larry, I would contact Scamp or Dometic directly. If it's bothering you, it's possible others have complained too. The Coleman Mach 8 on our Casita had an exterior noise issue and Coleman/AirExcel came out with a modified fan that helped but did not eliminate the issue. I've heard that they've made some further changes since then.

An outside vendor came up with a solution that fixed the exterior noise issue. We then found, like Casita Greg, the biggest problem for us was that when the compressor kicked on, it literally caused the trailer to shake. We also installed the EasyStart kit and it made a huge difference.

Part of the issue is that these are small trailers with very large air conditioners, and you are sleeping right under it. Don't rule out earplugs.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote