Noobies looking for a full-time and boondocking trailer - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #61

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The best defense is often a good offense.....
Old 09-26-2015, 09:53 PM   #62

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Then I suggest you do some research on composting toilets to understand how they work and why. Unless you are full timing, it is likely not an issue. The composting process is slow, but if working properly, efficient at reducing volume. Depending on usage, may not need to be emptied often.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
This might be one of those times when you should have just said: "I don't know."
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Depending on usage, may not need to be emptied often.
And, if you don't use it at all, you'll never have to empty it.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 AM   #64

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Just a couple comments on the OPs original purpose for this thread:

You haven't seen a molded fiberglass RV yet afaik. Do that. Impossible to tell if it's even something you'd consider or would work for you unless you've seen them in person.

You have several non-negotiables and that's great. They might change however, the more different types of units you see. The pros and cons of a specific feature become more obvious when you have more experience with them.

If you want to whittle it down as far as molded fiberglass trailers go, there are really only two full 4 season fiberglass trailer manufacturers afaik: Bigfoot and Oliver. I own an Escape 19 and I adore it, but it's not a true 4 season trailer in the sense that it's tanks and shell are designed to withstand sub-freezing winter temps for an extended period. We don't have the need for a 4 season trailer, but based on your intent to full time, and based on where you live, you do.

Lastly, don't take it the wrong way when some of your choices or opinions are questioned here. The fiberglass RV community is a bit different than most, and they usually are averse to the rolling mansions and huge Luxo units you see on the road every day - and molded fiberglass smallish RVs are definitely not for everyone.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #65

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, if you don't use it at all, you'll never have to empty it.

Wouldn't have to empty it as often as a black water tank even if used. But that being said, I personally prefer to stay with a conventional black tank system. I think composting toilets do have a niche in this world, but that niche does not include MY trailer.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #66

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Composting Toilet solution

My view of a composting toilet is, install it. If it doesn't meet your needs, you can always put a normal RV toilet in. There's nothing irreversible about the decision.

One afternoon I made an electronic drum in a coffee can...Ginny said who will want that... 20,000 drums later the question is gone. The reality is you don't know until you try. Sometimes things don't work and that's OK. You're not the last chance to save the world. You can get a second and third chance.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #67

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sometimes nothing is forever. I haven't read this entire thread, no time. But your story reminds me of Chris and Cherie. Have you checked out Technomadia? Almost parallel stories. Perhaps their history will help you make your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #68

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
We are full timing in a 21 ft. Bigfoot, aniversity edition. This means that it is actually 23 ft with a large stotsge pod on the front. We are very happy with our trailer. Have also seen the Oliver and it is also very impressive re quality. It is not quite as wide as the Bigfoot and we really appreciate the interior space and storage. Both are worth a hard look at.
Would also encourage you to look very carefully at your choice of hitch. Although ours is certainly overkill i feel it was an exellent choice. Instalation can be tricky. Can supply more info if interested.
Ron
Old 10-24-2015, 10:05 PM   #69

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita 17' SD; Tow Vehicle 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
North Carolina
Registry
If you can find a fiberglass rally anywhere close to you that is a great way to see the different brands actually in use. And most owners are more than glad to show you their trailer and discuss the pros and cons of their model and others based on experience. It would probably even be worth it to make a trip to a rally even if it is not near you.

Last weekend there was a rally in Cherokee, NC and several people that I met were researching what they wanted to buy and had traveled a distance to be able to see different brands and talk to people. At that rally alone, you could "tour" several brands - Casita, Escape, Oliver, Lil Snoozy, Bigfoot, U-Haul, Scamp, Burro and several others. The two couples with new Olivers were absolutely wonderful about showing everything about their campers. It was ten times better than just visiting a dealership.

Just an FYI, we had at least two nights where the temp dipped to freezing at night, although it was much warmer during the day. My little Casita Spirit Deluxe stayed toasty with a very tiny heater which I only turned on briefly each night. Good luck with your search and your adventure!
Susan J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking